Ok, I give up

emmitt01

These world cup refs are beyond pitiful. Did anyone see the Netherlands v. Portugal match? A new record for red cards and total cards in a match? And then there's the cherry on top....Italy v. Australia. How in the hell do you award a PK in second half stoppage time, especially such a WEAK one? This tournament is quickly becoming less about the players and more about the officials. (Sound familiar to any Mavs fans? dry.gif )

I saw that second half, it was pathetic. Not only some of the fouls and cards, but also those dives. I drew penalties in hockey by embelishing a little bit, but I went down and got back up. I NEVER rolled around and acted hurt like they do. That is why I feel that soccer has yet to gain the status here that it has elsewhere in the world. As a nation, we have embraced sports that glorify the blue collar athlete. When a professional athlete takes a slight kick in the shin, which is right on his shinpads, then proceeds to roll aound and screaming in agony until the stretcher is brought out then makes a miracoulous and full recovery, it seems absured to alot of peole.

Sorry to go off on that Emmitt, but you are right, those refs really did suck.

Remember Italy is the nation who fielded an Army during WW2 whose members surrendered in such numbers that the Brits in N. Africa came to refer to them as "The Gentlemen". Italians would march in fully armed, in large numbers, and surrender to a few Brits. They have had whinning down to an art for centuries.

That said.........YOU DONT MAKE THAT CALL AT THAT TIME

This has to be one of the most exciting World Cups that I have ever seen.

Since 1964 England has never beaten Sweden in World Cup. Last week with five minutes remaining England is up 2-1 and the drunken English start singing God Save the Queen. With about 30 seconds left in the game Sweden ties the score.

Now Sweden's record againt England is 8-0-12 (or something that close). The English start fights outside the stadium after the game.

The English started fighting the Germans in some beer garden after England beat some team 1-0 last week that they should have scored 3-6 goals on.

I can see why people get so excited over this sport......90 minutes of pure non-stop action.....on the field.........fights off the field.

This is better than the NCAA BB tournament.

Scroll down to photo gallery of the World Cup and tell me that you would not like to be at the game......I have not seen these at our games.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/internatio...,423324,00.html

I have to disagree. While not everyone wears the bikinis (I'm sure that's what you were referring to), lots of people do dress up quite well for the games. I wish I had a picture on hand - Sean, Nicole, or maybe Big Will could help me out here - but we were the crew in 2002 who opened Sports Center and got compared to Raiders fans. (One of my proudest moments.) Maybe you should drop by our tailgating party before each game to get painted up and join us in the fight song.

untgirl04--

I truely appreciate the offer to get painted but I think it would scare the s@@@ out of my grandkid, my wife would have me institutionalized and if my church found out I might get excommunicated. 

Now, if you can find four other Methodists I will bring the fifth.

--Your age is really showing..... I don't think Whiskey is not sold by the fifth anymore and has not been for years. The humor will lost those under 30 in fact maybe even 40......... it is now sold 750 ml or 1 litre instead of 5ths and quarts as in the old days. ... LOL... Don't even have to read the grandkid comment to guess age.

--Maybe should check on "how much of us" 04girl is willing to paint....hahahaha... it would take a more paint for me now than in my UNT (NTSU) days.

--Your age is really showing..... I don't think Whiskey is not sold by the fifth anymore and has not been for years.  The humor will lost those under 30 in fact maybe even 40......... it is now sold 750 ml or  1 litre instead of 5ths and quarts as in the old days.    ... LOL...    Don't even have to read the grandkid comment to guess age. 

--Maybe should check on "how much of us"  04girl  is willing to paint....hahahaha... it would take a more  paint for me now than in my UNT (NTSU) days.

Well, if you let me know you're coming, I'll make sure to buy an extra bottle or two of paint. smile.gif Actually, we've painted as few as 5 and as many as 15 or so people for a game. Occasionally, we get someone bringing over their little kid to get painted as well. For a 6pm kickoff, we start painting around 4. We park at the back of the lot, have a white tent, and have an American flag and a North Texas flag flying from the tent poles.