Another school says YES to football

ODU president ready to get party started on football

By JIM DUCIBELLA, The Virginian-Pilot

© May 28, 2006

Last updated: 1:30 AM

NORFOLK - Roseann Runte's appearance before city and university leaders on Wednesday won't be much different from the dozens of others she has made since becoming president of Old Dominion University - except for the cold beer, hot dogs and acrid smell of smoldering charcoal.

She will stand inside 20,000-seat Foreman Field - for years the most visible evidence of the gaping void in the university's athletic program - and tell hundreds of guests at her tailgate party that football is officially returning to ODU in 2009.

FULL STORY

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/print...05175&ran=79411

As Norfolk is my hometown, I have been watching this for years and as the article says, it was no suprise. Foreman Field is actually a better facility than Fouts and with some renovation, will be very nice.

As an aside, none of the Norfolk high school's have stadiums with one exception, so Foreman Field was home for everyone.

ODU has around 20,000 students and although many would bristle at this, it is primarily a commuter school for students in the Norfolk-Va. Beach area.

I will be shocked if they do not succeed at football. The people running ODU are very capable and Norfolk is the largest metropolitan area in the country without a major league team of any kind. The people there are starved for sports.

Old Dominion will play in the 1-AA Colonial Athletic Conference when that conference begins football, but remember that Old Dominion was once part of the Sun Belt. Their return to the Sun Belt would increase my opportunities to see North Texas play tremendously, so I say let them back in now!

IMHO, I would not admit any D-1AA teams into the SBC until UNT gets into another "legitimate" conference.

If other D-1AA teams want to step up to D-1A then let them start their own D-1A conference instead of diluting the SBC. The SBC is nothing more than the old glorified SLC during the Coach Nelson era. All of the SBC is currently ranked below 100 in various polls and is considered the "ugly sister" of all D-1A football playing schools. There are D-1AA conferences that are ranked above the SBC, in any given year, and if you believe in the Saragin Ratings then UNT is ranked in the 160's of all D-1A and D-1AA schools......remember there are only 117 D-1A schools.....and this after 9 years of the current administration.

I certainly wish ODU the best of luck in their quest to return to FB in the Colonial.

Guest GrayEagleOne

IMHO, I would not admit any D-1AA teams into the SBC until UNT gets into another "legitimate" conference.

If other D-1AA teams want to step up to D-1A then let them start their own D-1A conference instead of diluting the SBC.  The SBC is nothing more than the old glorified SLC during the Coach Nelson era.  All of the SBC is currently ranked below 100 in various polls and is considered the "ugly sister" of all D-1A football playing schools.  There are D-1AA conferences that are ranked above the SBC, in any given year, and if you believe in the Saragin Ratings then UNT is ranked in the 160's of all D-1A and D-1AA schools......remember there are only 117 D-1A schools.....and this after 9 years of the current administration.

I certainly wish ODU the best of luck in their quest to return to FB in the Colonial.

First of all, I'm sure that lgac's post was done with 'tongue in cheek.' He just reminded us that ODU was at one time a member of the Sun Belt and it sure would be convenient for him if they could be again.

There are some 1-AA teams that would enhance the standing of the Sun Belt. Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, and our own Western Kentucky would elevate our status immediately. I'd personally like to see Texas State added as a 12th team. And, yes, we are a glorified Southland; that is our choice.

There is no certainty when there will be another realignment. The trend is to have a 12-team conference. Five of the eleven 1-A conferences are full at 12 (the MAC will have 13). The Big 10 would need one; the Pac-10 two, the MWC and the WAC three; and the Big East and SBC four to reach that goal. How can you do that without taking in 1-AA teams?

We have to grow where we are planted. Hopefully, we'll get to looking so good that some better conference will want us in their landscape. We could've chosen to move up a peg by joining the WAC but we chose not doing that. We'll have to keep growing, bide our time, and wait for a better opening.

Thanks, Grey Eagle. To clarify, my desire to see ODU back in the Sun Belt was indeed tounge-in-cheek. Presently, the closest game for me is Middle Tenn, a short 12 hour drive from Durham. Norfolk is a whole lot closer.

Plus, I have some property on the beach which would make for a nice pre-game party!

We have to grow where we are planted.  Hopefully, we'll get to looking so good that some better conference will want us in their landscape.  We could've chosen to move up a peg by joining the WAC but we chose not doing that.  We'll have to keep growing, bide our time, and wait for a better opening.

I'll get blasted for this, but so be it. I'd move to the WAC tomorrow if they'd take us. It would shore up the Eastern Division with La Tech. Add Arkansas State and another and help build the WAC. The SunBelt gets no respect no matter how you slice it. And never will.

But....

The only way I'd agree to the WAC is for the current members to remain intact with the conference, with a huge monetary penalty if the try to leave withing x number of years. Hopefully it would keep Fresno, Boise, Hawaii, Nevada, and others in the conf.

Edited by DeepGreen

GEO--

Excellent point about all conferences expanding to a 12 team format, eventually.

My point is that additional D-1AA teams "may" dilute the already diluted SBC. Granted Appalachian St (2005 D-1AA National Champs), Georgia Southern and Western Kentucky would be a compilement to any D-1A Mid Major program in the country.

I also agree that UNT must do the best we can with what we have until something better comes along....

It seems to me that the only conferences that may expand are:

WAC (travel costs are big but wouldn't it be nice to be in a better conf.?Multiple NCAA Bids)

CUSA(Would be nice to play SMU every year--nice rivalry: Multiple NCAA Bids)

SBC (enough said wink.gif

IMHO, Coach Slinker is turning the program around.

IMHO, Coach Jones has a nucleus for a dynamic BB program.

IMHO, Women's Soccer is going great.

IMHO, we play the National Champs and three other conference champs in FB.

Until something better comes along ......

there are 119 D1A fottball schools. before you speak know your stuff. The SUNBELT needs 1 more football member and it should be WKU. one more member would give us 4 home and 4 road conf. games every year.

I forgot how much I enjoy your posts...

160 out of 119 then. Open the champagne, its almost fottball season.

saragins is full of it. I don't even know how they come up with half there stuff. Nt isn't even 119 out of 119 D1 schools. I say NT is at least 103. The belt needs to schedule teams like Rice, SMU, and Buffalo instead of Texas, LSU, and Auburn. We need to beat lower D1 teams and make our way up. If we beat lower D1 team we would not be at the bottom of the rankings( they would). wink.gif

ODU president ready to get party started on football

By JIM DUCIBELLA, The Virginian-Pilot

© May 28, 2006

Last updated: 1:30 AM

NORFOLK - Roseann Runte's appearance before city and university leaders on Wednesday won't be much different from the dozens of others she has made since becoming president of Old Dominion University - except for the cold beer, hot dogs and acrid smell of smoldering charcoal.

She will stand inside 20,000-seat Foreman Field - for years the most visible evidence of the gaping void in the university's athletic program - and tell hundreds of guests at her tailgate party that football is officially returning to ODU in 2009.

FULL STORY

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/print...05175&ran=79411

Birmingham Southern who has a really good Division 1 baseball team is also starting football next year and is dropping all sports down to Division III in order to do it.

geez how nice another new football to watch fly by us in a few short years, while our admins keep trying to figure out if they want athletics or not.  mad.gif

North Texas decided it wanted Athletics when it began construction on the Eagle Point campus.

We are light years ahead of any start-up football program. Believe it or not, NT actually has a name for itself and it gets a small amount of respect (which is what it deserves) on the national stage, more than any other sunbelt, Div 1AA, Div II or Div III program.

saragins is full of it. I don't even know how they come up with half there stuff. Nt isn't even 119 out of 119 D1 schools. I say NT is at least 103. The belt needs to schedule teams like Rice, SMU, and Buffalo instead of Texas, LSU, and Auburn. We need to beat lower D1 teams and make our way up. If we beat lower D1 team we would not be at the bottom of the rankings( they would).  wink.gif

How do you get 103? We aren't Sun Belt Champs? tongue.gif

The Belt has been able to schedule a few lower tier teams lately - you would have thought playing teams like Army, Tulsa, La Tech, even Northwestern St. would work out pretty well. We are all ranked where we belong, like it or not. We have Rice and SMU on future schedules - we'll see how that works out.

Until fan bases open their pocket books, the Texas, LSU, Auburn games are extremely necessary.

By the way, do they have editing software in Arkansas? Maybe talk to the other Arkansas State guy who knows how to write, research, and make points - perhaps he could set up a workshop?

It worked for me - Green Grenade taught me everything I know.

We are light years ahead of any start-up football program. Believe it or not, NT actually has a name for itself and it gets a small amount of respect (which is what it deserves) on the national stage, more than any other sunbelt, Div 1AA, Div II or Div III program.

I agree with this statement. I just want to see MORE. cool.gif

I did finally have the opportunity to see most of the EP campus last month. Went up on a lark after visiting relatives in Denton. Unfortunately, I was wearing burnt orange, but I figured, what the heck, as I was excited to see the construction first hand. Got a couple of rude looks from people inside based on my attire, but that was to be expected, and, I might add, a good sign. tongue.gif

Really a very nice facility. Particularly impressed w/the practice fields, and the new building is great. Very big step up for the program. That area has so much potential, and room for growth.

I still remember walking up to the AC after it was initially completed and being in awe of the size and quality of it relative to what NT has built in the past. It is like night and day better than our previous facilities. Gave me chills to imagine a new stadium attached to it...

North Texas decided it wanted Athletics when it began construction on the Eagle Point campus.

Ok I'll change my statement somewhat.

When UNT decides they want a successful all-around Athletic Program and not keep coaches with sub-par records here for life.

Light years huh?

Between the two, FIU and FAU, they have played a combine 103 games since their inception into football(FIU2002, FAU2001). We are currently 1-2 against them...................... barely.

Rick

Perhaps "light years" was a bit of an overstatement on my part.

Reading this board is depressing. The assumption that every college that decides to add football will inevitabley pass us is ridiculous, and shows little faith in our alma mater. It is virtually impossible to say anything positive about our situation at NT without having to hear about how many Div 1AA programs are better than NT, or which other school has had more success in less time.

I doubt you'd find a single person that enjoys our lack of OOC success. And you would probably have an equally difficult time finding someone who would rather stay in the Sun Belt than join regional rivals in C-USA. Repeatedly stating such isnt an original thought or idea.

The one thing these "accelerated" programs have that NT doesnt is money. As in, their fans are willing to back their talk with green instead of/in addition to lamenting on boards over percieved injustices in the past. The argument for this will inevitably be, "we arent going to donate until we know for sure the Univeristy is committed to athletics". Well I dont know what you are waiting for, there is a large project going on across 35 right now, you should stop by and see it some time. I dont know what else you need to see to convince you the university is moving forward. Now whether it is fast enough, is a whole other issue.

And if you want DD gone, wait 'til the team flops this year. RV will finally have justification. He's not going to fire a 4-time conference-winning coach for following it up with a terrible season due to inexperienced QB play largely credited to situations out of his hands. But beware once he does get the boot, you cant bring in a guy like George O Leary or Mike Price without cash.

Edited by Eagle1855

Perhaps "light years" was a bit of an overstatement on my part.

Reading this board is depressing. The assumption that every college that decides to add football will inevitabley pass us is ridiculous, and shows little faith in our alma mater. It is virtually impossible to say anything positive about our situation at NT without having to hear about how many Div 1AA programs are better than NT, or which other school has had more success in less time.

I doubt you'd find a single person that enjoys our lack of OOC success. And you would probably have an equally difficult time finding someone who would rather stay in the Sun Belt than join regional rivals in C-USA. Repeatedly stating such isnt an original thought or idea

The one thing these "accelerated" programs have that NT doesnt is money. As in, their fans are willing to back their talk with green instead of lamenting on boards over percieved injustices in the past. The argument for this will inevitably be, "we arent going to donate until we know for sure the Univeristy is committed to athletics". Well I dont know what you are waiting for, there is a large project going on across 35 right now, you should stop by and see it some time. I dont know what else you need to see to convice you the university is moving forward.

And if you want DD gone, wait 'til the team flops this year. RV will finally have justification. He's not going to fire a 4-time conference-winning coach for one bad season due to inexperienced QB play largely credited to situations out of his hands. But beware once he does get the boot, you cant bring in a guy like George O Leary or Mike Price without cash.

Those schools you talk about more than likely had the full backing of their University not just the Athletic Department. UNT, outside of a few hearty fans and Pohl/Ray, does not even try to get alums involved. Why are the Had Coaches not required to go out into the Community and promote the school and programs?? Why has the administration continually let Coaches get away with Publicly blasting the fans and alumni?

Also it is tiring of hearing how DD has had one bad year, he has 3 Winning Seasons in 8, that is 5 bad years.

Edited by untbowler

Also it is tiring of hearing how DD has had one bad year, he has 3 Winning Seasons in 8, that is 5 bad years.

I meant that following the 4 "successful" seasons he had 1 bad one, which was last year. Im sorry I didnt paint that picture clear enough, I have edited the original post to more accurately reflect my intention. Im not a DD fan, for the record, but you dont fire a coach that wins 4 conf champs- especially if you are a school like NT who doesnt have the big name to draw people to coach here.

Edited by Eagle1855