Baylor installing new offence

Encouraged: Baylor. This isn't a joke. The Bears have been steadily improving under head coach Guy Morriss, and in an intriguing twist, new offensive coordinator Lee Hays has installed the Texas Tech Air Raid offense. In their final scrimmage, Baylor's QBs went a combined 38 of 60 for 391 yards and five touchdowns

This is from Sports Ilustrated.

Looks like a trend for those teams who can not do the "2-yards and a cloud of dust."

Too bad it took DD 8 years to figure this concept out (maybe).

Encouraged: Baylor. This isn't a joke. The Bears have been steadily improving under head coach Guy Morriss, and in an intriguing twist, new offensive coordinator Lee Hays has installed the Texas Tech Air Raid offense. In their final scrimmage, Baylor's QBs went a combined 38 of 60 for 391 yards and five touchdowns

This was mentioned in another thread here, and I totally agree with you, euless. I believe Baylor will be a serious contender for a bowl this year. Their schedule is not horrible, and if they can get decent QB play, and a bit of luck, I can see them in the FW bowl, or something.

They will definitely give aTm all they want, and I can see them catching Okie Lite, Kansas/KState/Colorado napping. Morriss is a very good coach, and will have them prepared every week. He has taken that program a long way very quickly.

Looks like a trend for those teams who can not do the "2-yards and a cloud of dust."

And there are those who think such offenses helps sell tickets to many school's casual or borderline type fans; you know, the kind of which we @ UNT have about 15,000 seats for the taking most every game? rolleyes.gif

Some of you may agree or disagree, but it really does seem when a mid-major (a la La Tech) has upset one of the Big Boys, it many times had to do with the fact that they ran the wide-open "pass happy" offense.

We should study trends at UNT more often from within and those happening outside our campus. wink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

What do they lose on defense?  Seems like they had a number of key lineman and LBs graduate.  The strength of that team last year was their D...

Returning 4 starters on D. Two lineman, and both CB's. LB's will be new, but they apparently have a couple of studs waiting in the wings. Their CB's are seniors, and are very good. Punter is a Ray Guy award winner/AA.

8 returning O starters--including 3 of the OL, both WR's/TE, and QB/RB.

Returning 4 starters on D.  Two lineman, and both CB's.  LB's will be new, but they apparently have a couple of studs waiting in the wings.  Their CB's are seniors, and are very good.  Punter is a Ray Guy award winner/AA. 

8 returning O starters--including 3 of the OL, both WR's/TE, and QB/RB.

Ouch...I'm going to go ahead and throw out any more talk of bowl game for BU until I see them on the field. They were TERRIBLE offensively last year. If they lost all of their starting LBs (strenth of their D), they will not bounce back quick enough to win 6 games....but that's just my 2 cents.

Ouch...I'm going to go ahead and throw out any more talk of bowl game for BU until I see them on the field.  They were TERRIBLE offensively last year.

By that logic we cannot discuss NT until after the first game...

And let me diffuse whichever dude will miss the sarcasm and say its a MG board. I got it, thanks.

nmsu tried the same change in offense when they hired new coach Hal Mumme and his pass-happy offense for 2005. they finished 0-12 last season.

nmsu tried the same change in offense when they hired new coach Hal Mumme and his pass-happy offense for 2005.   they finished 0-12 last season.

Of course, Mumme needs more than his inaugural season to get his program set in place, too, LMG.

BUT..........first of all, I don't think UNT will ever have a "pass happy" style offense under DD because that is simply not the way he is bent as a college coach. Secondly, I contend that most of La Tech's high profile wins came because they recruited "positions-wise" to become one of those "pass happy" football programs.

Thirdly, many of us think we can just sell more tickets for those 15,000 waiting-to-be-filled empty seats (and were empty even during our bowl years) than we can with this "just keep it close till the 4'th quarter" offense we've seen of late.

Granted, it will never be a problem to have a Cobbs or a Thomas on our campus, but to have them in an offense that can crank it up to become a "pass happy" offense could have only helped us beat many of those OOC schools we would have liked to have beaten in recent years that would get us out of our usual end of year SBC ranking among the other 117 1-A schools and very well (with such wins) may have even helped our chances in getting in CUSA 2 years ago. rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Take a look at Mumme's Bio from the NMSU board.....

and compare it to DD....who is 13-31-1 as an OC at UTEP and SMU and 39-55 as a HC.

I think you will see that Mumme made programs successful

Courtesy: New Mexico State University

Hal Mumme

Football

Head Coach

(505) 646-2521

eMail Coach Mumme

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Release: 12/30/2004

Hal Mumme was hired as head coach at New Mexico State December 30, 2004.

Mumme has most recently served as the head coach at NCAA Division I-AA football school Southeastern Louisiana (2002-04). He helped revive the football program after an 18-year absence, leading the Lions to a 12-11 record in two seasons.

The 52-year-old native of San Antonio, Texas, has also served as head coach at Kentucky (1997-2000), Valdosta State (1992-96) and Iowa Wesleyan (1989-91). He worked as the offensive coordinator at UTEP (1982-85), the quarterbacks and wide receivers coach at West Texas State (1980-81) and was the head coach at Aransas Pass High School (1979) and Copperas Cove High School (1986-88) in Texas. He began his coaching career as an assistant at Moody High School (1976-78) in Corpus Christi, Texas.

In 14 seasons as a head coach, Mumme has a record of 97-64-1 and has taken teams to the postseason seven times.

Mumme also announced the hiring of the majority of his staff, including former NFL assistant and Missouri and Vanderbilt head coach Woody Widenhofer.

"I’m really excited about the people that I’ll be working with at New Mexico State," says Mumme. "It’s kind of a new ballgame with myself, Dr. Martin (NMSU President Michael Martin) and McKinley, plus we’re going into the WAC. That’s really exciting.”

Mumme’s goals for the Aggie program are clearly defined.

"Coaching is teaching and the number one reason a student-athlete comes to New Mexico State is to get a degree. You have to motivate your students to use the tools provided by the university. When I talk to a mom or dad about coming to New Mexico State, we want them to know that the most important thing is to graduate and become a productive member of society.”

“On the field our number one goal is to win the WAC. You play in a conference to win it. The second goal is to get to a bowl game. When you play in a great league like the WAC, that’s the benchmark."

In his first year at Southeastern the Lions posted a 5-7 record, the fourth best mark for a Division I-A or I-AA startup program since 1980. This season the Lions went 7-4, including a 51-17 win over #6 McNeese State. That win propelled the second-year program into the top 25 in the national I-AA rankings the next week.

Southeastern ranked first among NCAA Division I-AA teams in total offense per game (537.1 yards) and passing offense per game (408 yards). "One of the reasons I took on the job at Southeastern Louisiana is that I had a reputation as a good offensive coordinator, but not a good manager. How better to prove yourself than start a program? We had one ball, one helmet, one phone and one desk when I got here. In less than three years we’ve built it into a winning program. I think it happened because I got more involved in managing the program."

During his two seasons at Southeastern, the Lions were 10-3 at home and in 2003, led all NCAA Division I-AA schools in attendance per capacity at 126.55 percent. Strawberry Stadium seats 7,408 but expecting great fan support, portable-seating was brought in to accommodate the surge in attendance. SLU sold out four of the six home games and averaged 9,396 per game.

Following the initial season, the university conducted an economic impact study and found that college football at Southeastern had an $8.3 million impact on Hammond and the surrounding region.

"When we hired Hal, he brought three things we were looking for," says Southeastern Louisiana athletics director Frank Pergolizzi. "He had a proven record of success, a proven record of putting a product on the field that was fun to watch, and a proven history of increasing attendance and fan interest.”

“It was a gargantuan task. It involved recruiting players, the mechanics of starting a program, facility renovations, and recruiting a staff. It wouldn’t do a lot of good to create a lot of excitement and go 0-10. It has been terrific and we are very pleased with the progress. We are grateful to Hal for what he has done for us."

While at Kentucky, Mumme put Wildcat football back on the map.

In his first season as head coach, the Wildcats improved from 109th in the nation in total offense to sixth and beat Alabama for the first time in 75 years.

For his efforts he was named the American Football Coaches Association Region 2 Coach of the Year. UK’s five wins were the most for the school since 1993 and the Wildcats swept their non-conference opponents for the first time since 1989.

The next year he took UK to new heights. Mumme led the Wildcats to a victory over #21 LSU, the Wildcat’s first road victory over a ranked team in 21 years. UK finished 7-5 with the season culminating with a trip to the Outback Bowl as Mumme became the first Wildcat coach to take the team to a New Year’s Day bowl game since Bear Bryant in 1951.

In 1999 the Wildcats went 6-6 and played in the Music City Bowl. He was named the South/Southwest Coach of the Year by Football News. College Football Hall of Fame coaches Jerry Claiborne and Bryant are the only other coaches to have taken the Wildcats to consecutive bowl games.

During Mumme’s tenure at Kentucky, Wildcat football players earned academic all-SEC honors 68 times with Jeff Zurcher earning Academic All-America honors.

In 1999, both ends of Commonwealth Stadium were enclosed, along with the construction of 40 suites, 10 in each corner of the stadium. The total number of seats was increased from 57,800 to 67,606.

The year before Mumme arrived in Lexington, the Wildcats averaged 40,647 fans per game. The following year the team averaged 59,110. In 1999, the Wildcats averaged 67,756, still a school record.

"I think Hal Mumme is an excellent football coach," says former University of Kentucky President and member of the NCAA Board of Directors and NCAA Executive Committee Charles Wetherington. "I believe NMSU has made a good choice. He has a great offensive mind. The fans will love his style of football and that’s very important. He has those kinds of leadership qualities that prove to be successful in any endeavor. If I had the opportunity, I would certainly hire him again."

Mumme’s offensive style is patterned after the successful system used by BYU.

Mumme studied that style while an assistant at UTEP (1982-85) and implemented his system for the first time as head coach at Copperas Cove High School. He has used that system ever since and set record setting numbers wherever he’s been.

"We’ve always wanted to be able to do one thing really well," says Mumme. "If I was going to run the ball, I’d be a wishbone guy. It becomes a ball control offense, which is important. It’s more like basketball than a rugby scrum. Fans can see the ball and people tend to get excited."

"I was looking for someone who played differently than the norm," says former Kentucky athletics director C.M. Newton. "We had a tradition of having some very good football coaches, but not being able to win with the traditional approach. I was looking for someone who did things differently. The best way to describe it is that you will see a team that presses and fast breaks on grass. It’s a very sound system of football. He uses the pass to set up the run. It’s fun. The thing that I observed is that the players really enjoyed playing. He did a tremendous job. We were able to enlarge our stadium because of the interest. I think Hal is a much better football coach right now than when he came to UK. He learned a lot at Kentucky."

In his first head coaching stint at Iowa Wesleyan, Mumme inherited a program that went 0-10 the previous season and had only three players returning from that squad. In his first year IWC went 7-4 and advanced to the Steamboat Classic. He followed that with seasons of 8-4 and 10-2.

The Tigers set numerous school and NAIA records. In one game against Harding in 1989, IWC threw 86 passes, completing an NAIA record 61. His teams also set school records for most passing yards (538) in a game and most yards of total offense in a game (672). In 1990, the Tigers led the NAIA in passing yards per game at nearly 338 yards per game. In his final season in 1991, the Tigers set NAIA records for most total pass completions (468) and average completions per game (39).

Mumme was the NAIA district coach of the year in 1989 and 1991 and led the Tigers to the postseason all three years, including the NAIA playoffs in 1991.

Mumme was named the head coach at Valdosta State in 1992. In his final year at Valdosta State, the Blazers averaged nearly 39 points and over 484 yards per game. That season the Blazers were ranked #1 in the country and advanced to the NCAA Division II quarterfinals for the second time in three years. The Blazers had never advanced to the NCAA playoffs before Mumme’s arrival.

Mumme was the Gulf South Conference and the AFCA Region II, Division II Coach of the Year in 1996.

"He’s a great guy to play for," says former Valdosta State quarterback and current VSU head coach Chris Hatcher. Hatcher was the NCAA Division II player of the year when Mumme was the head coach at VSU. Hatcher led the Blazers to the national championship this year. "He’s big on putting you in a position to be successful. That’s what you look for the most as a player. You like the style that he brings to the football table. He’s always attacking, always playing to win. If you asked people at Kentucky when is the last time they had a chance to win every game and they will say when Hal Mumme was head coach. I think he will be ultra successful."

Among his former assistant coaches is current Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach. Leach served on Mumme’s staffs at Iowa Wesleyan, Valdosta State and Kentucky.

The most prominent player that Mumme has coached is former Kentucky star quarterback and the number one player taken in the 1999 NFL draft, Tim Couch.

Couch was named the SEC Male Athlete of the Year in 1999 and was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. In his final collegiate season, Couch completed 400 of 553 passes (72.3 percent) for 4,275 yards and 36 touchdowns. His pass completions total was the best in the nation while his yardage total, touchdowns and completion percentage each ranked second in the country.

Mumme’s credentials on the field are impressive, but so is his work in the community.

"I don’t think of Hal without thinking about his wife June," says Wetherington. "Together they were an important part of this community." "They are just good, solid folks," says Newton. "When I was doing my homework in hiring Hal, the one thing that kept coming up was that both he and June were very active in the larger community. They both lived up to that when they came to Lexington."

"Hal is very accessible to our fans, our boosters and alumni and has done a great job in building relationships," says Pergolizzi. “He really is a very down-to-earth, warm-hearted individual."

"Every place we’ve coached and lived we’ve been involved in the community," says Mumme. "I like helping people. It’s an important part of my job." Newton also believes that the team of Boston and Mumme will yield great results for NMSU.

"I think it is a great hire for NMSU and it’s a wonderful opportunity for Hal. I’ve known McKinley (Boston) for a long time. He is one of the top administrators in college athletics. To be able to hire McKinley and then hire Hal sets NMSU up to really be very competitive and strong."

Mumme was born in San Antonio, Texas, and graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School in Dallas. He played football at New Mexico Military Institute (1970-71) and Tarleton State University (1974-75). He received his bachelor’s degree from Tarleton in 1975.

and compare it to DD....who is 13-31-1 as an OC at UTEP and SMU and 39-55 as a HC.

I think you will see that Mumme made programs successful

Hal Mumme 

Football 

Head Coach 

(505) 646-2521 

eMail Coach Mumme 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Release: 12/30/2004 

Hal Mumme was hired as head coach at New Mexico State December 30, 2004.

Mumme has most recently served as the head coach at NCAA Division I-AA football school Southeastern Louisiana (2002-04). He helped revive the football program after an 18-year absence, leading the Lions to a 12-11 record in two seasons.

The 52-year-old native of San Antonio, Texas, has also served as head coach at Kentucky (1997-2000), Valdosta State (1992-96) and Iowa Wesleyan (1989-91). He worked as the offensive coordinator at UTEP (1982-85), the quarterbacks and wide receivers coach at West Texas State (1980-81) and was the head coach at Aransas Pass High School (1979) and Copperas Cove High School (1986-88) in Texas. He began his coaching career as an assistant at Moody High School (1976-78) in Corpus Christi, Texas.

In 14 seasons as a head coach, Mumme has a record of 97-64-1 and has taken teams to the postseason seven times.

Mumme also announced the hiring of the majority of his staff, including former NFL assistant and Missouri and Vanderbilt head coach Woody Widenhofer.

"I’m really excited about the people that I’ll be working with at New Mexico State," says Mumme. "It’s kind of a new ballgame with myself, Dr. Martin (NMSU President Michael Martin) and McKinley, plus we’re going into the WAC. That’s really exciting.”

Mumme’s goals for the Aggie program are clearly defined.

"Coaching is teaching and the number one reason a student-athlete comes to New Mexico State is to get a degree. You have to motivate your students to use the tools provided by the university. When I talk to a mom or dad about coming to New Mexico State, we want them to know that the most important thing is to graduate and become a productive member of society.”

“On the field our number one goal is to win the WAC. You play in a conference to win it. The second goal is to get to a bowl game. When you play in a great league like the WAC, that’s the benchmark."

In his first year at Southeastern the Lions posted a 5-7 record, the fourth best mark for a Division I-A or I-AA startup program since 1980. This season the Lions went 7-4, including a 51-17 win over #6 McNeese State. That win propelled the second-year program into the top 25 in the national I-AA rankings the next week.

Southeastern ranked first among NCAA Division I-AA teams in total offense per game (537.1 yards) and passing offense per game (408 yards). "One of the reasons I took on the job at Southeastern Louisiana is that I had a reputation as a good offensive coordinator, but not a good manager. How better to prove yourself than start a program? We had one ball, one helmet, one phone and one desk when I got here. In less than three years we’ve built it into a winning program. I think it happened because I got more involved in managing the program."

During his two seasons at Southeastern, the Lions were 10-3 at home and in 2003, led all NCAA Division I-AA schools in attendance per capacity at 126.55 percent. Strawberry Stadium seats 7,408 but expecting great fan support, portable-seating was brought in to accommodate the surge in attendance. SLU sold out four of the six home games and averaged 9,396 per game.

Following the initial season, the university conducted an economic impact study and found that college football at Southeastern had an $8.3 million impact on Hammond and the surrounding region.

"When we hired Hal, he brought three things we were looking for," says Southeastern Louisiana athletics director Frank Pergolizzi. "He had a proven record of success, a proven record of putting a product on the field that was fun to watch, and a proven history of increasing attendance and fan interest.”

“It was a gargantuan task. It involved recruiting players, the mechanics of starting a program, facility renovations, and recruiting a staff. It wouldn’t do a lot of good to create a lot of excitement and go 0-10. It has been terrific and we are very pleased with the progress. We are grateful to Hal for what he has done for us."

While at Kentucky, Mumme put Wildcat football back on the map.

In his first season as head coach, the Wildcats improved from 109th in the nation in total offense to sixth and beat Alabama for the first time in 75 years.

For his efforts he was named the American Football Coaches Association Region 2 Coach of the Year. UK’s five wins were the most for the school since 1993 and the Wildcats swept their non-conference opponents for the first time since 1989.

The next year he took UK to new heights. Mumme led the Wildcats to a victory over #21 LSU, the Wildcat’s first road victory over a ranked team in 21 years. UK finished 7-5 with the season culminating with a trip to the Outback Bowl as Mumme became the first Wildcat coach to take the team to a New Year’s Day bowl game since Bear Bryant in 1951.

In 1999 the Wildcats went 6-6 and played in the Music City Bowl. He was named the South/Southwest Coach of the Year by Football News. College Football Hall of Fame coaches Jerry Claiborne and Bryant are the only other coaches to have taken the Wildcats to consecutive bowl games.

During Mumme’s tenure at Kentucky, Wildcat football players earned academic all-SEC honors 68 times with Jeff Zurcher earning Academic All-America honors.

In 1999, both ends of Commonwealth Stadium were enclosed, along with the construction of 40 suites, 10 in each corner of the stadium. The total number of seats was increased from 57,800 to 67,606.

The year before Mumme arrived in Lexington, the Wildcats averaged 40,647 fans per game. The following year the team averaged 59,110. In 1999, the Wildcats averaged 67,756, still a school record.

"I think Hal Mumme is an excellent football coach," says former University of Kentucky President and member of the NCAA Board of Directors and NCAA Executive Committee Charles Wetherington. "I believe NMSU has made a good choice. He has a great offensive mind. The fans will love his style of football and that’s very important. He has those kinds of leadership qualities that prove to be successful in any endeavor. If I had the opportunity, I would certainly hire him again."

Mumme’s offensive style is patterned after the successful system used by BYU.

Mumme studied that style while an assistant at UTEP (1982-85) and implemented his system for the first time as head coach at Copperas Cove High School. He has used that system ever since and set record setting numbers wherever he’s been.

"We’ve always wanted to be able to do one thing really well," says Mumme. "If I was going to run the ball, I’d be a wishbone guy. It becomes a ball control offense, which is important. It’s more like basketball than a rugby scrum. Fans can see the ball and people tend to get excited."

"I was looking for someone who played differently than the norm," says former Kentucky athletics director C.M. Newton. "We had a tradition of having some very good football coaches, but not being able to win with the traditional approach. I was looking for someone who did things differently. The best way to describe it is that you will see a team that presses and fast breaks on grass. It’s a very sound system of football. He uses the pass to set up the run. It’s fun. The thing that I observed is that the players really enjoyed playing. He did a tremendous job. We were able to enlarge our stadium because of the interest. I think Hal is a much better football coach right now than when he came to UK. He learned a lot at Kentucky."

In his first head coaching stint at Iowa Wesleyan, Mumme inherited a program that went 0-10 the previous season and had only three players returning from that squad. In his first year IWC went 7-4 and advanced to the Steamboat Classic. He followed that with seasons of 8-4 and 10-2.

The Tigers set numerous school and NAIA records. In one game against Harding in 1989, IWC threw 86 passes, completing an NAIA record 61. His teams also set school records for most passing yards (538) in a game and most yards of total offense in a game (672). In 1990, the Tigers led the NAIA in passing yards per game at nearly 338 yards per game. In his final season in 1991, the Tigers set NAIA records for most total pass completions (468) and average completions per game (39).

Mumme was the NAIA district coach of the year in 1989 and 1991 and led the Tigers to the postseason all three years, including the NAIA playoffs in 1991.

Mumme was named the head coach at Valdosta State in 1992. In his final year at Valdosta State, the Blazers averaged nearly 39 points and over 484 yards per game. That season the Blazers were ranked #1 in the country and advanced to the NCAA Division II quarterfinals for the second time in three years. The Blazers had never advanced to the NCAA playoffs before Mumme’s arrival.

Mumme was the Gulf South Conference and the AFCA Region II, Division II Coach of the Year in 1996.

"He’s a great guy to play for," says former Valdosta State quarterback and current VSU head coach Chris Hatcher. Hatcher was the NCAA Division II player of the year when Mumme was the head coach at VSU. Hatcher led the Blazers to the national championship this year. "He’s big on putting you in a position to be successful. That’s what you look for the most as a player. You like the style that he brings to the football table. He’s always attacking, always playing to win. If you asked people at Kentucky when is the last time they had a chance to win every game and they will say when Hal Mumme was head coach. I think he will be ultra successful."

Among his former assistant coaches is current Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach. Leach served on Mumme’s staffs at Iowa Wesleyan, Valdosta State and Kentucky.

The most prominent player that Mumme has coached is former Kentucky star quarterback and the number one player taken in the 1999 NFL draft, Tim Couch.

Couch was named the SEC Male Athlete of the Year in 1999 and was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. In his final collegiate season, Couch completed 400 of 553 passes (72.3 percent) for 4,275 yards and 36 touchdowns. His pass completions total was the best in the nation while his yardage total, touchdowns and completion percentage each ranked second in the country.

Mumme’s credentials on the field are impressive, but so is his work in the community.

"I don’t think of Hal without thinking about his wife June," says Wetherington. "Together they were an important part of this community." "They are just good, solid folks," says Newton. "When I was doing my homework in hiring Hal, the one thing that kept coming up was that both he and June were very active in the larger community. They both lived up to that when they came to Lexington."

"Hal is very accessible to our fans, our boosters and alumni and has done a great job in building relationships," says Pergolizzi. “He really is a very down-to-earth, warm-hearted individual."

"Every place we’ve coached and lived we’ve been involved in the community," says Mumme. "I like helping people. It’s an important part of my job." Newton also believes that the team of Boston and Mumme will yield great results for NMSU.

"I think it is a great hire for NMSU and it’s a wonderful opportunity for Hal. I’ve known McKinley (Boston) for a long time. He is one of the top administrators in college athletics. To be able to hire McKinley and then hire Hal sets NMSU up to really be very competitive and strong."

Mumme was born in San Antonio, Texas, and graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School in Dallas. He played football at New Mexico Military Institute (1970-71) and Tarleton State University (1974-75). He received his bachelor’s degree from Tarleton in 1975.

I am not of the Catholic persuasion but does anyone else see an apparition of the Virgin Mary in all the blank space our fellow alum eulesseagle left in this post? unsure.gif

Very informative article, ee...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

user posted image

By that logic we cannot discuss NT until after the first game...

And let me diffuse whichever dude will miss the sarcasm and say its a MG board. I got it, thanks.

Snappy, but no.....BU plays all the games they need to win to reach a bowl game at the start of the season, before Big 12 play opens. Last year they played 3 OOC games and won all of them, then they won 2 Big 12 games. Realistically, BU isn't going to win many Big 12 games this year either, so they really need to be clicking early in the season so they can pile up as many wins as possible against lower tier competition. Throw in the fact that they will be breaking in 7 new starters on D. NT is exactly opposite BU in that regard...we have a realistic shot at winning our conference and a tougher time getting wins in OOC.

Edited by TIgreen01

Snappy, but no.....BU plays all the games they need to win to reach a bowl game at the start of the season, before Big 12 play opens.  Last year they played 3 OOC games and won all of them, then they won 2 Big 12 games.  Realistically, BU isn't going to win many Big 12 games this year either, so they really need to be clicking early in the season so they can pile up as many wins as possible against lower tier competition.  Throw in the fact that they will be breaking in 7 new starters on D.  NT is exactly opposite BU in that regard...we have a realistic shot at winning our conference and a tougher time getting wins in OOC.

That is great, but I don't see what you are arguing with me about. Is it news that our conference sucks next to all the other conferences? Of course in conference games are our shot for a bowl. Our offense sucked last year too - and in case you missed the memo - WE ONLY WON 2 CONFERENCE GAMES IN A CRAP CONFERENCE! Why knock Baylor for winning 2 in a better conference. Baylor played OU close, Tech well for a good part of the game, and should have beat TAMU. We played FAU, Ark St, and ULLAF close though. BU gets 4 really good shots at Big 12 wins (the ones Long Jim listed) and if they can just take out one of the big boys they are looking at a very successful season. Its a huge year for them and hats off to them if they take advantage.

don't know if Baylor didn't let you in or if you just hate Baptists, but your beef seems very humorous and unnecessary to me...nothing personal. Every argument you make can be applied to NT - and in most cases even moreso.

This thread was posted on the board because someone always posts whenever another school opens up there offense - and its worth watching. If the Baylor ship can be righted with a few schemes plus the overall improvement of the program, we can ask why we cannot do the same thing? No one is lining up for BU season tickets or anything - I mean its not like we are discussing the mighty Texas State Bobcats, App. St., or Oral Roberts?

That is great, but I don't see what you are arguing with me about. Is it news that our conference sucks next to all the other conferences? Of course in conference games are our shot for a bowl. Our offense sucked last year too - and in case you missed the memo - WE ONLY WON 2 CONFERENCE GAMES IN A CRAP CONFERENCE! Why knock Baylor for winning 2 in a better conference. Baylor played OU close, Tech well for a good part of the game, and should have beat TAMU. We played FAU, Ark St, and ULLAF close though. BU gets 4 really good shots at Big 12 wins (the ones Long Jim listed) and if they can just take out one of the big boys they are looking at a very successful season. Its a huge year for them and hats off to them if they take advantage.

don't know if Baylor didn't let you in or if you just hate Baptists, but your beef seems very humorous and unnecessary to me...nothing personal. Every argument you make can be applied to NT - and in most cases even moreso.

This thread was posted on the board because someone always posts whenever another school opens up there offense - and its worth watching. If the Baylor ship can be righted with a few schemes plus the overall improvement of the program, we can ask why we cannot do the same thing? No one is lining up for BU season tickets or anything - I mean its not like we are discussing the mighty Texas State Bobcats, App. St., or Oral Roberts?

I have no beef against BU...my wife and my sister both went to school there. I've attended at least one of their games for the last 4 years running. I think that your first paragraph said basically the same thing I was trying to say, but apparently I didn't come across very clear. Let me say it another way, I think that this is a rebuilding year for BU...they lost all but 4 starters on their D, which was the strength of their team, and they are now making drastic changes to their offense. I don't think it's harboring a grudge to say that they will probably struggle (at least early) this year...now 2007?? Could be their year?