While waiting on new stadium....

Not as difficult as you might think. Double deck the East side stands (opposite from the press box), then install an elevator to the press box. Lots less money for both, plus keeping the track (bad sightlines and all) and we'll have a 45,000 seat stadium, and when we finally do build a new stadium, we'll still have a huge track facility (Fouts) for major NCAA events, concerts, etc. Plus, it will look very impressive from I-35, and be right across from The Super Pit and right on the exisitng campus.

Plus, our opponents will still hate it...yet it will be a very loud and intimidating place to play. PLus...attracting major donors will come sooner when they see how wild this place will look...then we could build a New Fry-Mitchell Stadium at the Athletic Complex, seating 50,000 and without a track.

Shoot holes in this logic.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Not as difficult as you might think. Double deck the East side stands (opposite from the press box), then install an elevator to the press box. Lots less money for both, plus keeping the track (bad sightlines and all) and we'll have a 45,000 seat stadium, and when we finally do build a new stadium,  we'll still have a huge track facility (Fouts) for major NCAA events, concerts, etc. Plus, it will look very impressive from I-35, and be right across from The Super Pit and right on the exisitng campus.

Plus, our opponents will still hate it...yet it will be a very loud and intimidating place to play. PLus...attracting major donors will come sooner when they see how wild this place will look...then we could build a New Fry-Mitchell Stadium at the Athletic Complex, seating 50,000 and without a track.

Shoot holes in this logic.

1. Cost prohibitive. It would probably cost $15 million for something that would have a life of less than ten years. Remember, I-35E will be widened in approximately that time frame. Not enough additional revenue over that short time span could be generated.

2. You'd now have about 25-30,000 seats looking directly into the sun. If it were practical to do, the best option would be to double deck the west side. Those additional 15,000 seats would be looking away from the sun and would help shade the east stands (ala Amon Carter) from sun grins.

3. Track events don't draw as they used to. Unless you could get the NCAA regional every year and/or elevate the North Texas Relays (is that still held?) to the status of the Texas Relays, there's adequate seats now.

4. Assuming that you could get a few crowds of more than 30,000, where would they park? Except for some street parking in the old Owsley Addition (bounded by North Texas Blvd, Hickory and Bonnie Brae), there is little parking available for larger crowds unless shuttled.

I'd rather build the Mitchell-Dickey Stadium by 2009 and use Fouts to build a parking garage. Why did I not include Fry in the name? Well, he may have been our best coach but he didn't take us to bowls. Mitchell and Dickey have. It seems to be important to so many (tongue-in-cheek). No, the new stadium will be named for the largest donor and that's fine with me.

I'd rather build the Mitchell-Dickey Stadium by 2009 and use Fouts to build a parking garage.  Why did I not include Fry in the name?  Well, he may have been our best coach but he didn't take us to bowls.  Mitchell and Dickey have.  It seems to be important to so many (tongue-in-cheek).  No, the new stadium will be named for the largest donor and that's fine with me.

Jack, you have just received my nomination for the "Most Sarcastic Post of the Year" award. tongue.gif

I do agree that the new stadium should be named on behalf of the Big Donor.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Yeah, this is needed because there weren't enough empty seats already. Here's a better idea: switch to mini-arena football and play in the Pit.

Dickey should have a stadium named after him,  laugh.gif

please, the only thing named after him three runs plays up the middle on every damn series, its called the Dickey Run up the middle

Its actually called the "Dickey Draw" and it was highly effective against UT in 2004, so I wouldnt mock it if I were you... tongue.gif