Mean Green actually mean again?

mdmeangreen

I can hear the sounds of crickets as we all bow in awe of your great football talent evaluations. Inexperience at QB = doom. Wait and see.

Thanks, but I am only slightly more a ASU fan than a UNT fan and I am actually a Tennessee fan stuck in Arkansas.

I have no more of an emotional evolvement with stating that ASU has the best Defense and OL in the league, than I did saying UNT did , when they did. It was just a fact that the other SBC teams had to deal with and you could see it coming if you just looked.

Edited by Seminole Indian

Just read that last post and removed what I had previously here....I will give you the fact that ASU signed 2 nice looking OGs, but last year's team sure didn't look as good as you're saying....they barely beat the worst team we have fielded in 6 years and lost a 45-7 thriller to MTSU. Maybe it'll all come together for them this year, but ASU has always been very inconsistent---and last year was no different. Over the course of the entire season, the best winning streak they put together was 2 games.

Edited by TIgreen01

Just read that last post and removed what I had previously here....I will give you the fact that ASU signed 2 nice looking OGs, but last year's team sure didn't look as good as you're saying....they barely beat the worst team we have fielded in 6 years and lost a 45-7 thriller to MTSU.  Maybe it'll all come together for them this year, but ASU has always been very inconsistent---and last year was no different.  Over the course of the entire season, the best winning streak they put together was 2 games.

lol...I believe the quote from the ASU fan is just another typical unbiased fan assement of their program laugh.gif

Just read that last post and removed what I had previously here....I will give you the fact that ASU signed 2 nice looking OGs, but last year's team sure didn't look as good as you're saying....they barely beat the worst team we have fielded in 6 years and lost a 45-7 thriller to MTSU.  Maybe it'll all come together for them this year, but ASU has always been very inconsistent---and last year was no different.  Over the course of the entire season, the best winning streak they put together was 2 games.

I really do not really know all that answers as to why they were so inconstant but I know some things that probably contributed to it. Part was the play of Noce, who was up and down all year, part was due to losing so many players, twelve I think, to season ending injuries, over the course of the year and Antonio Warren, played with an injury most of the season. They also started a couple of young players in the OL and although one made 2nd team All-SBC they struggled with a lot of penalties as a result. They were one of the most penalized teams in Division 1A. The also, changed defense from a 4-2 to a 4-3 and then lost there best LB for a season and as a result had to play two converted safeties and two freshmen at the position and there was a learning curve.

No one close to the program called last years team a good team but the adversity did provide the opportunity for some young, talented players to get a chance to play a lot and that really is paying dividends this off season. Still have not got all the injured back but most should be 100 % in the fall.

From the reports that I have read UNT will also benefit from some of the adversity they faced last year.

I am sticking with ASU going 5-2 but still cannot pull the trigger and make a prediction for UNT. I am only predicting a loss to ASU and to ULL at this time, but I’m still not convinced that you have solved your problems in the trenches on either side of the ball. Better Yes, upper half of SBC, Yes, but the analysis in one of the above post points to improvement but 5-2, I do not know.

I think that ASU will be good next year...certainly good enough to be in the mix for a league title like they were this year, but I'd have to say that the team to watch next year in the belt is ULL. They were playing the best ball at the end of the year and seem to be returning a good number of their contributing players from last year.

Being in the Belt, I believe that every team has a legitimate shot at a conference title...NT was horrible on both sides of the ball last year and we were at least in every conference game going into the final minutes of each of those games.

Watching all of our games last year, I did not see an appreciable talent gap between the teams towards the top of the league and those that finished towards the bottom of the league. Should make for an interesting upcoming season.

I didn't know this was a whoop it up thread for ASU rolleyes.gif  Probably a middle of the pack team in the mediocre Sun Belt rolleyes.gif

Hey, that’s not fair, I promised to go watch ASU and report my observations and I can only compare them to UNT. ohmy.gif I gave you the why behind my prediction of 5-2 for ASU. My reluctance to predict 5-2 for UNT is based on what I am reading on this site.

Unlike everyone else I think both Florida schools will struggle this year and the SBC Champ will come from one of the others with ULL as the favorite.

No offense, but some of those players with 4.3 forty times should be playing in the SEC if those stats are accurate.

No offence taken, the times are for real and the future is as fast or faster. Some of this years red-shirt freshmen and props have the size, speed and talent to shake up ASU's two-deep roster.

I mentioned Reggie Arnold (5’10, 215, 4.38, he lost weight to play TB) and he ran the 4.38 when he weighed 220+ lbs at the FCA combine in Little Rock, also add FS's Evan Van Dolah (6'2, 200, 4.34, All-Arkansas, called ‘super-fast player’) and Marcus Brown (6’1, 180, 4.24, timed at U of A’s Football Camp, 16th ranked prospect in Arkansas, 2 time All State) that have made the preseason two-deep. Add prop DE Jeremy Wallace (6’5, 230, 4.5, #6th Rank Prospect in Arkansas) and LB Gregory Hardey (5’10, 220, 4.5, his Classifications Tennessee Defense player of the year) and WR Jarrier Norman (5’10”, 170, 2005 state champ (Texas) in 100- and 200-meter dash), DB Daylen Walker (5’10, 170, 4.4,three-time all-state football and track) and DB L.J. Williams (5.8, 176, 4.4) and WR Travis Jones (6’, 170, 4.5, 23.47 200 meter).

Even the two red-shirt freshman OL prospects Anthony Jackson (6’4, 340, 4.9, offered by Nebraska) and Corey Meachum (6’4, 323, 4.9, #2 Ranked DL in Missouri) are quick.

The slowest player currently on the pre-season two deep on defense is Prince Hickman (6’1, 280, 5.1) and he is joined on the line by Curtis Bonds (6’4, 285, 4.8), Jamarrow James (6’1, 275, 4.8), Troy White (6’1, 270, 4.7), Jonathan Najm (6’1, 240, 4.6) Brandon Rollins (6’4, 260, 4.7), and Anthony Harris (6’, 238, 4.5). These are the slow guys on the Defense.

No offence taken, the times are for real and the future is as fast or faster. Some of these years red-shirt freshmen and props have the size, speed and talent to shake up ASU's two-deep roster.

I mentioned Reggie Arnold (5’10, 215, 4.38, he lost weight to play TB) and he ran the 4.38 at when he weighed 220+ lbs at the FCA combine in Little Rock, also add FS Evan Van Dolah (6'2, 200, 4.34, All-Arkansas, called ‘super-fast player’) and Marcus Brown (6’1, 180, 4.24, timed at U of A’s Football Camp, 6th ranked prospect in Arkansas, 2 time All State) that have made the preseason two-deep. Add prop DE Jeremy Wallace (6’5, 230, 4.5, #6th Rank Prospect in Arkansas) and LB Gregory Hardey (5’10, 220, 4.5, Tennessee Defense player of the year) and WR Jarrier Norman (5’10”, 170, 2005 state champ (Texas) in 100- and 200-meter dash), DB Daylen Walker (5’10, 170, 4.4,three-time all-state football and track) and DB L.J. Williams (5.8, 176, 4.4) and WR Travis Jones (6’, 170, 4.5, 23.47 200 meter).

Even the two red-shirt freshman OL prospects Anthony Jackson (6’4, 340, 4.9, offered by Nebraska) and Corey Meachum (6’4, 323, 4.9, #2 Ranked DL in Missouri) are quick.

The slowest player currently on the pre-season two deep on defense is Prince Hickman (6’1, 280, 5.1) and he is joined on the line by Curtis Bonds (6’4, 285, 4.8), Jamarrow James (6’1, 275, 4.6), Troy White (6’1, 270, 4.7), Jonathan Najm (6’1, 240, 4.6) Brandon Rollins (6’4, 260, 4.7), and Anthony Harris (6’, 238, 4.5). These are the slow guys on the Defense.

Everybody's sure missing all of this talent on the ASU team. Know it's early, but the highest projection so far is 3rd in the mediocre Sun Belt. blink.gif

No offence taken, the times are for real and the future is as fast or faster. Some of these years red-shirt freshmen and props have the size, speed and talent to shake up ASU's two-deep roster.

I mentioned Reggie Arnold (5’10, 215, 4.38, he lost weight to play TB) and he ran the 4.38 at when he weighed 220+ lbs at the FCA combine in Little Rock, also add FS Evan Van Dolah (6'2, 200, 4.34, All-Arkansas, called ‘super-fast player’) and Marcus Brown (6’1, 180, 4.24, timed at U of A’s Football Camp, 6th ranked prospect in Arkansas, 2 time All State) that have made the preseason two-deep. Add prop DE Jeremy Wallace (6’5, 230, 4.5, #6th Rank Prospect in Arkansas) and LB Gregory Hardey (5’10, 220, 4.5, Tennessee Defense player of the year) and WR Jarrier Norman (5’10”, 170, 2005 state champ (Texas) in 100- and 200-meter dash), DB Daylen Walker (5’10, 170, 4.4,three-time all-state football and track) and DB L.J. Williams (5.8, 176, 4.4) and WR Travis Jones (6’, 170, 4.5, 23.47 200 meter).

The slowest player currently on the pre-season two deep on defense is Prince Hickman (6’1, 280, 5.1) and he is joined on the line by Curtis Bonds (6’4, 285, 4.8), Jamarrow James (6’1, 275, 4.6), Troy White (6’1, 270, 4.7), Jonathan Najm (6’1, 240, 4.6) Brandon Rollins (6’4, 260, 4.7), and Anthony Harris (6’, 238, 4.5). These are the slow guys on the Defense.

Geez, ASU is not only the fastest team in the Belt but also the NFL. Do you know that Ben Johnson in his world record 100 meter dash was timed in the 4.3s for the first 40 yards and that was with starting blocks and on steroids? I suggest you look at the times of the very best college football players at the pro combines to get an indication of how inflated the numbers you quoted are.

Everybody's sure missing all of this talent on the ASU team. Know it's early, but the highest projection so far is 3rd in the mediocre Sun Belt. blink.gif

I have no problem with that because I'm predicting a 5-2 record. I may go 5-2 for UNT also with only ULL ahead of us. ULL is very good.

The speed, and talent, at ASU is real though and I have no problem telling you that ASU will put a better team on the field next year, because it’s a no brainier. They get fifteen starters back plus the players that were loss to injury or suspension. Those injured or suspended players in fact were their better players and there were a lot of them.

The red-shirt freshmen and and two props are the best talent in Robert's tenure and they are just gravy for next year.

But so what, from what I’m reading the same, or better, can be said in Denton.

The good thing is that I do not feel that a lot will have to go right this coming year for one or both of us to make a run at the top next year and that is exciting. I do not really care if ASU or UNT wins I just want one of them to be in NO. I like them both.

Neon Deion has one of the fastest of all time at 4.28...only 3 players ran under a 4.38 at the combine....and 22 yr olds are faster than 18yr olds...don't buy into 40 times...they are all bogus...and all the coaches know it.

Well, I'm not in a position to argue the point because I did not time them. Most if not all of the times reported for the Arkansas athletes were from one of the many University of Arkansas sponsored camps.

This is new ground for ASU in Arkansas because we have rarely got one of the top twenty prospects in Arkansas much less four and five a year, like the last few years. The scary thing is that these Texas players are all fast and they say Norman is the fastest of all the red-shirts.

I have no problem with that because I'm predicting a 5-2 record. I may go 5-2 for UNT also with only ULL ahead of us. ULL is very good.

The speed, and talent, at ASU is real though and I have no problem telling you that ASU will put a better team on the field next year, because it’s a no brainier.  They get fifteen starters back plus the players that were loss to injury or suspension. Those injured or suspended players in fact were their  better players and there were a lot of them.

The red-shirt freshmen and and two props are  the best talent in Robert's tenure and they are just gravy for next year.

But so what, from what I’m reading the same, or better, can be said in Denton.

The good thing is that I do not feel that a lot will have to go right this coming year for one or both of us to make a run at the top next year and that is exciting. I do not really care if ASU or UNT wins I just want one of them to be in NO. I like them both.

Rivals ASU recruiting rankings for the last four years: 91st, 87th, 87th, and 65th. The 65th isn't too bad, but it seems that you are the only "analyst" who is really taking notice of these national caliber supersonic athletes. Also, if there were "a lot" of suspended players last year, why should we not expect the same this year? Do you have their academic credentials as well as your size and speed numbers? I guess we'll have to see who they have on the field six months from now.

Rivals ASU recruiting rankings for the last four years: 91st, 87th, 87th, and 65th. The 65th isn't too bad, but it seems that you are the only "analyst" who is really taking notice of these national caliber supersonic athletes. Also, if there were "a lot" of suspended players last year, why should we not expect the same this year? Do you have their academic credentials as well as your size and speed numbers? I guess we'll have to see who they have on the field six months from now.

Hey, I had the opportunity to get updated on UNT through this site and promised I would reciprocate because I live seven miles from ASU. Had no reason to question what the posters posted about UNT’s reported improvement. UNT was in fact a very young team and I would have expected improvement. Ditto for ASU.

The times, heights, weights, ratings and comments I have posted are all from public records. While I am so-so on their two QB’s thus far, every other position with the possible exception of the kicking game is better and I mean a lot better. Even the running game, where the 1000 yard runner last year was maybe at 80% from the ULM game on, is better because they get their former starter back at 100% this coming year.

They are just bigger, faster, stronger, older,deeper and from what I have seen meaner than last year, and it is really not even a comparison.

That is the same thing I hear coming from Denton.

In no way am I saying they are better than UNT but I am beginning to think they are in fact better and just as young.

It is a fact that they return a lot of starters and it is a fact that they lost a lot of former starters for the season to injury or suspension. The team that played in Denton and in the NO Bowl was not the team that ASU started the fall camp with. No team in the SBC and probably in the nation had as many injuries as did ASU.

This is new ground for ASU in Arkansas because we have rarely got one of the top twenty prospects in Arkansas much less four and five a year, like the last few years.

Arkansas doesn't have too many more than 20 that sign with 1A schools. Believe it was a grand total of 31 in 2004. Who did you out-battle for these Arkansas Top 20 players? Who, besides ASU, actually offered them?

Edited by MeanGreen61

I remember one of UNT's fastest players ever: Broderick McGrew. Just was never real consistent catching the ball.

My point is that sometimes a player has all the tangibles, and sometimes they are just football players (see Phillip Armour or Brad Kassell, 2 examples of football players).

Arkansas doesn't have too many more than 20 that sign with 1A schools. Believe it was a grand total of 31 in 2004.

Some cannot sign because of academics and go the JC or other route. Still for comparison getting a top 10 player in Arkansas is like getting a top 100 player in Texas and getting a player in the next ten is like getting a player in the next hundred, so on and so on. Not all of the Texas top 100 can or do sigh with a 1A school.

Well, ASU in the past has not gotten many players from that group and the ones we have gotten have been very, very good players.. Those who have played in the Belt are Cory Williams (All-SBC), Jonathan Adams,( two 1000 yard seasons), Antonio Warren (All-SBC, two 1000 yard seasons) and Jonathan Bradley (All-SBC). That is the sum total of top twenty Arkansas players recruited by Hollis and I do not remember but a handful more over the twenty years prior to Hollis and they were without exception outstanding players.

As for ASU they have excelled when they were able to land players in the next group (those ranked between 21-35) and that has not always been easy because schools like Memphis, La Tech, Oklahoma State, Tulsa, and similar schools recruit these players hard. They almost always start for ASU at some point and ASU can win when they get a good number of them.

I looked on the roster and ASU will have ten top twenty players on the roster next year (5 top ten and 5 from the next ten). They have 15 from that 21-35 group. They had five top twenty players committed this past recruiting season before losing one to Miami.

The fact is there no way of predicting what the impact of this many players from that pool of recruits will be, because ASU has never had this many. It might be disruptive.

Actually you do not know what you are talking about.

Jerime Henderson (6’, 200, 4.4) are capable of displacing Harrison and Williams at the corners. Ben Owens (6’3, 225, 4.6,SEC offers, and ahead of Williams at this point), Elias Ellis (6’, 215, 4.5, PAC 10 offers, on/off starter) and Chris Littleton (5’11, 215, 4.5, on/off starter, and mean) are all solid backups at linebackers that ASU could win with. Add to this a group of red-shit freshmen and props that are probably as good or are better prospects and the pieces are falling into place for ASU on this side of the ball.

Wow, I cant believe noone passed this up. I didnt know there was such a thing as a red-shit freshman, must be an arkansas thing.

I hope some of the info about ASU was informative , and accurate, because I really enjoyed following the progress of UNT this spring on this message board.

One thing is for certain, it is not very likely that either team will suffer a repeat of this past season misfortunes. Hopefully, the adversity of last year will pay dividends next season for both teams. I think it will.

I know in the case of ASU that hope was reinforced when we asked long time trainer, Ron Carroll, if he would compare this past seasons injury situation, losing so many players for the season, to a typical season and he said he could not compare it to a typical decade. Well, if it does happen, I guess ASU could make the NCAA happy by changing its name to the Limping Lizards. laugh.gif