Big Request: If You Have 1964 YUCCA, Please Scan

PlummMeanGreen

I know, a big request and probaby a shot in the dark, but if any one of you has (or can get) access to a 1964 NTSU YUCAA yearbook, in its opening pages is a most interesting photo of an NT Band Day (with an entire football field full of bandsmen or, uh, bandpersons:)); but even more interesting than all the bands is the enormous student crowd that this 1964 photo shows on the east Fouts Field side.

Anyway, if any of you or someone you know can scan this photo on this thread of GMG.com, I think many on this forum (and beyond) would enjoy seeing that most interesting photo and part of NT athletic history.

Thanks in advance...&

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Jim, my friend, I have a challenge for you. Please pick up the telephone and call ten band directors of AAAA and AAAAA high schools. Ask them if they would be interested in participating in a Band Day at North Texas during football season. If more than half of them say "Yes" I will buy a steak dinner for you and a companion of your choice at any restaurant in Parker County.

Let me know what you find out.

Jim, my friend, I have a challenge for you.  Please pick up the telephone and call ten band directors of AAAA and AAAAA high schools.  Ask them if they would be interested in participating in a Band Day at North Texas during football season.  If more than half of them say "Yes" I will buy a steak dinner for you and a companion of your choice at any restaurant in Parker County. 

Huff...FYI

from my HS participation in the event, I don't remember hardly any 4-A or 5-A schools that participated. The Denton HS Band always participated, but that was usually the biggest band. Most of the rest of the bands were 3-A and 2-A bands. I do remember that one year the Waco Carver Band participated. They were as big as the Denton HS band.

Thanks, Silver.....You are correct that there is a difference. I have talked to high school band directors in recent years. I must admit they were all from larger schools. What they tell me is that with UIL now having marching band competitions and with the starting of several other marching competitions in the region they just do not have any interest in participating in a college band day. That might not be true of the smaller schools, but I think it is. I know UIL now has marching band competitions for almost all classes.

There may be a real interest in a band day at North Texas, but I don't think so. If I know our old buddy, Jim, he will check it out and be more than happy to eat supper at my expense.

I sure hope not.

We have a problem at North Texas and it's that not enough fans are coming to our games.

Band Day does NOTHING to fix that problem, it only hides that problem.

FIX THE PROBLEMS, NOT THE SYMPTOMS.

I tend to agree with this.

I still would like to see the picture that PMG was requesting. If someone has it and can scan it into their computer, please send me a PM.

I sure hope not.

We have a problem at North Texas and it's that not enough fans are coming to our games.

Band Day does NOTHING to fix that problem, it only hides that problem.

FIX THE PROBLEMS, NOT THE SYMPTOMS.

No, ADLER, I gave up with the Band Day idea (really) a long time ago with this present group we have in Denton and I did that about the same time when I most astutely observed how Kids Korner was (mis)handled by a few at UNT. I do disagree with you on Band Day as an entire university promotion, though, and will say more about that part later in this post, Jeff (double up on your caffein)! wink.gif

Band Day with some of this present group in the NT Athletic Dept. would be just as confusing (and probably just as unsuccesful). And the present group (only a handful I will say) for sure would not want any UNT alums taking some of their recognition (or glory?) away from them even if we all did it with the best intentions which would (as always) be for our alma mater. What do any of us stand to gain individually as it is for crissakes'? We can't get pay raises from UNT for volunteer work, right? LOL!

KIDS KORNER...........OH BOY.sad.gif Hellsbells, all MeanGreen61, Deep Green, myself and others did with that promo was volunteer to help the NT Athletic Dept. do what they seem to never have time to do (if that makes cents) and that was to raise monies from many of you of GMG.com who gave your monies to Kids Korner above and beyond your usual annual MG Club donation and football season ticket purchases for that football season. It was what many of us thought was a most admirable response from the many of you who are still posting or reading this forum.

Personally (and I never said this on this forum before) but I think that Kids Korner promotion started going south and south fairly quickly when GoMeanGreen.com and all the Kids Korner donors from this forum probably received a bit too much recognition from a very nicely written Denton Record-Chronicle feature article than a certain 1 or 2 in the NT athletic deparment really wanted to see happen to such an extent.

But FWIW, we of GMG.com did this to not receive any extra stars in our Mean Green crowns, but as past history would tell with most of us, we did it most unselfishly for the good of the cause at the University of North Texas (but mostly for the kids, of course). So again, none uf us from this forum gave a rat's ass about who got credit for this, that and the other as we just thought we were doing a sevice for the kids of Denton County and helping dear ol' alma mater at the same time.

YET...........I don't think that most positive DRC feature article praising many of you, ie, GoMeanGreen.com poster/readers was exactly what 1 or 2 in the NT Athletic Deparment had in mind with "their" Kids Korner idea. NOTE: Rick V was most gracious and cooperative with his attitude in all this, though.

So when things such as these "100% volunteer projects" (on our part) goes to such a level of "just who will get al the credit for this"; fellow alums, you can can rest assured that this NT Ex (and other who privately expressed the same thing) will just continue to wait (perhaps about the time of the 2'nd Coming of Christ?sad.gif) for some of this core of NT employees to take their most unique special talents elswhere and for us to (finally) have a new core of NT athletic employees who won't develop such pissy attitudes toward their customer base at the drop of a Kansas Jayhawk football helmet. In light of recent W/L records and (still) poor attendance in Denton, some of this long-lasting core group within the NT Athletic Dept. have put new meaning in the concept of "wearing their welcome out" in Mean Green Country.sad.gif

Still amazing how some of this group of NT athletic employees still can't get over why they can't get much more than 15K fans per home game at Fouts Field (even during bowl years) and they apparently cannot seem to also understand why a good crowd for NT basketball anymore is one that has over 2-3,000 fans at the Super Pit. Soooooooooo.........................uh.............................duh? sad.gif

So to all, don't worry, no more manifestos from this alum for us to host an NT Band Day in Denton, although as one who has been a student recruiter for almost a quarter of a century and seen Band Days work at other Texas universities; Band Days are still very effective general student recruiting tools for and I would think UNT would still be interested from that standpoint PLUS.................when someone posts the YUCCA photograph (in color, too) of that 1964 Band Day @ NTSU and one that Silver Eagle himself was a part of, that photo alone may change a few minds on a Band Day promo for our alma mater; but someone else will need to take the ball and run with it because I have pitched that ball off like a wishbone QB.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Awhile back after reading post after post of the band day idea I finally asked my sister and her husband (who are both band directors) why this doesn't happen.

They both answered very quickly... They wouldnt have the time to do something like that.

The earlier post is correct in that they have marching competitions to go to, but the UIL also limits the band in the number of hours per week they have have the kids practice and compete just like athletics are limited. And those hours are already taken up by practice, performing at their own games, and marching competitions. They just don't have enough hours in the week to require the kids give up a Saturday afternoon/night. And thats true for 1A through 5A schools

user posted image

Also of note, another picture caption mentioned the 112 member Eagle Marching Band.  I don't remember it being that small.

If you had asked me I would have guessed that they were about 125. They weren't very big, but they moved fast, and they could play circles around any other band in Texas....or most of the nation for that matter.

It was kind of like having a 125 member marching lab band out there. I also liked the uni for the drum major (very OU or Ohio State-ish), and I liked the classic design of the band's uni's as well. They were like Ohio State's uni's. They also had a little cape on them that folded to the middle to reveal a "N and T" on each flap. They wore black shoes and spats.

Jim, my friend, I have a challenge for you.  Please pick up the telephone and call ten band directors of AAAA and AAAAA high schools.  Ask them if they would be interested in participating in a Band Day at North Texas during football season.  If more than half of them say "Yes" I will buy a steak dinner for you and a companion of your choice at any restaurant in Parker County. 

Don, I do really like Weatherford's Mesquite Grill (FW Hwy) quite a bit and I'll order the least expensive steak, too! LOL! .smile.gif

You and I have spoken about this on occasion and I agree that just asking HS band directors at random from this same area we recruit so heavily for Mean Green football players, ie, the Metroplex..........NOT...... (sorry, couldn't resist that one); anyway, if we just asked DFW area band directors with no NT ties to come to an NT Band Day (you are right, Don) they wouldn't.............But the following paragraph I feel is and has always been the key for a successful UNT Band Day, but there is just absolutely no one on campus who wants to tackle this huge promotion and a promo that is also a superb general student recruiting tool, ie, UNT Band Day on Game Day.

UNT must have a jillion North Texas Exes who just happen to be HS band directors here in the Southwest and if UNT officials developed some rapport with them and even persuaded them to come back to their alma mater (with their HS bands with them, of course) for each NT Ex band director to receive a "special commendation" (and very nice plaque) at half time of an NT FB game and all this as recognized band director from their very own alma mater so thus, that would be our market for a UNT Band Day.

But heck, Don, UNT is still trying to find out where all our other alums are located so I wouldn't bank on their even having such a list of HS band directors who are NT graduates. But still, that would be the main focuss group for a UNT Band Day that would have any chance of being successful. The real key to all of this would be some NT employee on who would take on this project, give it some legs and some hard work to make it successful one Game Day each football season.

Bu I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for this to happen with this present group we have on campus and even under the formula of using all our NT Exes band directors and their bringing their bands to Fouts Field on a Game Day.

Bets or no bets, lets do meet soon at Mesquite Grill (or wherever) some time in the future. But as you well know, good ol' Weatherford is just not that far from Azle as you would come down FM 730.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

user posted image

You may not be able to tell from the pic, but the Alumni side was still not full.

user posted image

This was the student side.  Not sure which game.  Also of note, another picture caption mentioned the 112 member Eagle Marching Band.  I don't remember it being that small.

Hey Phil, those are some great photos, but the one I am talking about was in the first introductory part of the 1964 YUCCA and it was even in living color, you know, like the NBC peacock?!?!? Jeez, now I am giving my age and era away with that, eh? LOL!

Anway, that 1964 color photo was taken from a high crane or something because it showed the entire Fouts football field covered with bandsmen and a very large NT student crowd, just like your black and white photos also point out.

Why did we ever get away from "NT"?

---I don't know.... The interlocked NT made a lot of sense.... Tech has their double T, A&M continues to use their ATM, and Texas uses the "Longhorn" T. North Texas is weak on traditions compared to a lot of universities. Traditions is one thing that connects different class years together. We need to do better.

---I doubt that our name ever changes again and besides North Texas has always been part of our official shool name, why not use the interlocked NT. (with or without the star you used).

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66