NT Daily Article on Branding implementation

NTEagle08

Guest Aquila_Viridis

But can you get a white banner-style flag with a green eagle and 'North Texas' on it for the pole on the house? I haven't seen it. I saw the nice green ones with a white eagle at the stadium deck, and Mandy said you have to make the $500 MGC for that. I'm planning to up significantly anyway (though I think for ongoing it will be in some way based around achieving my 3 expectations for next football season). However, I think it is a bad idea to hold out the flag contingent on MGC. They should want everyone hanging out the flag. They do it over here in SEC country. But anyway I want a green eagle, not a white eagle.

As I reported last summer, you can get a nice Idaho flag at this cool shop I found in Myrtle Beach, as well as just about every other school. Then we have the news about them hiring a known coach. Let's not get left behind by IDAHO, people.

The new eagle logo is fine...but it is my fervent hope that most fans, alumni, and students will reject the new color. Kelly green is fine, but the shirts the university gave students at orientation, and most of the shirts I've seen in the new shade are not kelly. They are a soft green, almost turquoise, and the farthest thing from "mean."

Kelly green is fine, but the shirts the university gave students at orientation, and most of the shirts I've seen in the new shade are not kelly. They are a soft green, almost turquoise, and the farthest thing from "mean."

I don't care for the new green at all. I call it "toothpaste green." It may have appeal to the students because it's kind of a Gen Y color - but it doesn't appeal to my older, more conservative taste. The hunter green had been in our history before, it's classic, and masculine. I was routinely complimented on my Mean Green gear over the years, including people affiliated with Big 12 schools who thought our colors were great.

Now you look in the stands at games and see all the various shades of green where once again we go a changin', and looking like we still don't know who the hell we are.

Viva Hunter Green!

It would appear that all the Branding changes are just a distraction from what really needs to changed. All the color changes won't do a thing to improve the product on the field. Priorities, priorities, etc. We don't need new shades of green except at the ticket office window.

Try winning more on the field then worry about shades of green.

Just an interesting aside ...

Like many packrats, I occasionally find something in the depths of drawers from years past. Not too long ago, a seldom used shirt circa 1985 was found and appropriated by my wife (mainly for use during cleaning up around the house sad.gif ). What caught our eyes was the fact that this 20 year old North Texas shirt was exactly the same shade as many of the current shirts being used.

What goes around comes around!

I spoke to the person in charge of purchasing for the NT Bookstore a couple of weeks back and said they are experiencing a problem getting suppliers who can produce orders in the correct "Kelly" green. Said they have not had a problem with "Champion" producing shirts and sweatshirts in the correct color, but that "Jenzen" is claiming they cannot? I told her there shouldn't be a problem in finding qualified textile producers who can supply material in the appropriate "Kelly" green because the URCM department actually set out to answer this problem, before it became one back in 2004. The URCM department sent out information to all college gear manufacturers(Nike,Rebock, Champion...etc) to find out what the average color they all use that is closest to our "Kelly".

I too have seen some shitty light colored greens out there so far, but rest assure most of that stuff was not correct. The "North Texas Mean Green" T shirts that "The Footlocker" had at Hulen Mall during the Christmas holidays were spot on accurate to the correct "Kelly". I also suggested to the purchaser at the bookstore that she may also consider the fact that "Kelly" green accents much better with Black than with White.

I think after the "Kelly" is out there for a while and all the manufacturers get on the same page(I hope) with the AD dept, URCM and the local stores that we will start to see a more unified scheme for our logos and gear.

P.S. The very fact that there are different greens out there being "OKed" by CLC rather than being "Policed" like they promised they would do is just another reason for North Texas to get out of bed with them and go with another option.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

P.S.  The very fact that there are different greens out there being "OKed" by CLC rather than being "Policed" like they promised they would do is just another reason for North Texas to get out of bed with them and go with another option.

Sounds like the Branding Committee needs to insure what "they" voted in is what "is" being purchased. Typical blind leading the blind. dry.gif

P.S. - I expect another logo-gate in about 5 years when all the big-dogs are gone.

Sounds like the Branding Committee needs to insure what "they" voted in is what "is" being purchased.  Typical blind leading the blind.  dry.gif

P.S. - I expect another logo-gate in about 5 years when all the big-dogs are gone.

It is because they picked a color that can only be easily reproduced digitally...

It is because they picked a color that can only be easily reproduced digitally...

Not sure about that. "They" picked a color that has been a part of our tradition for many years before and one that is used by other schools such as Michigan St and Marshall with great success. There is no excuse in my oppinion not to be able to get it out. If other producers such as Champion, Russell, Team Edition Apparell(Footlocker) and others want our business, then so be it. Jenzen and who ever else wants to throw excuses out there can go somewhere else?

Rick

As an outsider, one of the things I think that UNT needs to do is to pick a logo and stick with it. One thing I've noticed is that the MG change their helmet/main logo for their teams about once a decade or so.

I would love for UNT to pick a mark for the helmet/uniform similar to the classic college teams' helmet logos. AND LEAVE IT ALONE. tongue.gif

I personally would love a variation on the old curved interlocked NT, but that's just me.

It's classic.

Regarding the new logo: I like the swooping eagle design, but I'm wondering how/if it will translate well to the football/basketball unis. Also like the new NORTH TEXAS font, but personally don't like it on the helmets.

Ah well. Rambling thoughts. wink.gif

Those have been around for awhile.  FFRick can tell you how they came to be.

Yeah, that's been a fairly successful hat, possibly the most successful for NT the past several years. 4 years ago this past January, I emailed Zephyr Hats and included a photo of an all hunter green hat with white top button and vent holes that I did myself with the NT Exes logo on it, and asked if they would consider doing one like it? I then asked that since they had an "X LINE" version for several Texas schools, including one for Stephen F, that would they consider doing one for North Texas for their "X Line"? I also included phone numbers and email to RV and the athletic department in order to speed things up a bit. 3 days later the president of the company called me at home and asked if I had seen the designs they had sent me the day before and what I had thought about them? I checked them out and they included the hat above with the Eagle-with-teeth and a second hat with the Exes logo on it, without the word "Exes" on it of course. I told him I loved them and that I would take 4 of each. Several days later I got another email thanking me for the heads up and stating that they would be going forward with the Eagle-with-teeth logo for their "X Line" version for North Texas, but for whatever reason the athletic department couldn't give them the OK to do the Exes logo at the time? It took about 4 months for the "X Line" version to come out and I've seen more of them than any other hat. They have since come out with several versions of it, one with the Eagle head on a "UNT" bar, and one on a "trucker" style hat.

It's always amazed me what you can get done these days with a simple phone call or email?

Rick

The Lids in Vista Ridge Mall has an interesting looking black North Texas hat that I haven't seen anywhere else. It's all black, with the swooping eagle in green on the front, and then a larger, green eagle head on the side. That green contrasts really well with the black and makes a sharp statement.

As a side note: every time we go into Lids, although they've got a good selection of North Texas hats, they've always got a lot of them sold. I think we're doing a fair business in Lewisville.

North Texas hat

I would love for UNT to pick a mark for the helmet/uniform similar to the classic college teams' helmet logos.  AND LEAVE IT ALONE.  tongue.gif

They have said that was the purpose of this last branding campaign-- to finally get something we could stick with for a very long time. I think these are good marks, and I dont see any reason to stray from them. I have heard a lot of positive feedback about the new logos (not that that means anything)

I, like yourself, dont care for the word mark on the helmets.. I would prefer the eagle, as I think its a bit wordy (and it looks like la la's helmets) but oh well...

The Lids in Vista Ridge Mall has an interesting looking black North Texas hat that I haven't seen anywhere else. It's all black, with the swooping eagle in green on the front, and then a larger, green eagle head on the side. That green contrasts really well with the black and makes a sharp statement.

As a side note: every time we go into Lids, although they've got a good selection of North Texas hats, they've always got a lot of them sold. I think we're doing a fair business in Lewisville.

North Texas hat

user posted image

As I said before, Black accents the Kelly, or lighter green better IMO, than white. The Black with NT Battle Flag hat that GoMeanGreen.com designed and voted on was GreenStock's best seller, I believe, due to the fact that the flag stood out so well on the black background. I don't have this new hat yet, but I will.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

The new eagle is going to be hard for anyone to shake.  It is being plastered all over campus.

It is set in brick in the Willis Library Mall area, and it is being set in brick in front of the visitors booth near the admin building.

'Twill be difficult to shake, Cerebus, until this present regime (who hath wrought to us all these new brandings) are gone, that is.smile.gif

After some "NT graduated" (I should add) locals took over our Athetic Dept. post the HaydenFry/Jerry Moore era's, some of you young gun alums should have seen just how quickly it took that new group of NT leadership in the athletic dept. to get rid of "Fry's Flying Worm" (along with Fry's more grandiose dreams so they could replace those with their logos and much lower-profile non-dreams). FYI: Of course, "Fry's Flying Worm" logo was created by GMG.com poster, one Mr Rick Spears aka GreanGrenade II, for some of you newer posters or lurkers on this forum who didn't know. NOTE: Many of us had hoped UNT finally had a long-running helmet logo such as UT, SMU and others have and would "NEVER" change our helmet logo no matter who we hired and for whatever decade they were hired. That just wasn't in the cards I guess we can all say now. right?sad.gif

The new brandings have grown on many of us, but the overall planning and campus inter-departmental coordination and cooperation with those groups all of whom could have played strategic roles in helping get the word out to the local, regional (and with an ESPN TV broadcast from Fouts Field last Fall) even a national audience for all of the aforementioned groups to see that branding changes had been made at UNT.

That would have been even more important (for example) if NT Exes from Vermont, Oregon, Montana, etc, etc, who viewed the national telecasts and who are not on any of NT's mailing lists may have very well been inspired to contact UNT to get back on various mail lists to the departments of their choice as to keep up with their alma mater (and their alma mater to keep up with them as well).

Who knows, maybe such far flung alums would have asked vendors in those faraway outposts questions such as "why don't yall carry the new Mean Green gear as seen on ESPN." It was truly a lost opportunity by the NT Branding Committee and only because they didn't plan all this much further in advance. Hope that trend is also not a sign of things to come with every department at UNT being an island unto themselves. We've had all that before at UNT and we sure don't need to repeat those days all over again.

YET................for instance, shouldn't our UNT AD have been informed of these impending new UNT brandings long before he (apparently) was so he could have coordinated all the new major changes by ordering of all UNT's varsity unis' even with the right shade of green (which some of you posted have not even always been available or easy to get as it is) AND now further proof on no advanced planning...............one merely has to look at the Green Brigade marching bands new uniforms (that they will wear for about 10 years)?sad.gif

As impressive as some of us feel those unis' are, they are still not in compliance with what the NT Branding Committee had in mind for all campus groups to be on the same page with their new creations along with the new shade of green than we had been using................AND FWIW, what 2 groups on the NT campus are 2 of the most visible to the public that we have that gets all the TV coverage?

The UNT Branding Committee for a project as huge and expensive as a university's new branding project is should have planned all this like we as NT Exes expect from our alma mater and they just simply should have gotten the word out much further in advance to all campus groups so that they could have had ample time to become compliant with the new changes. So just where did the buck stop with such oversights that now have our Green Brigade land-locked into wearing a different shade of green than the new official shade of green?

Anyway, the NT Branding Committee (of which one of its members erroneously sent out an email to one of this board's regular posters as well as one of our best alums/fans; and with that email saying that they (the branding committee) didn't have to answer to anyone on this board. (Who actually said that they did in the first place)?smile.gif

Granted (and in all actuallity) they for sure didn't have to answer to anyone on this board or any other board of NT enthusiasts, but with many of us, it was more the attitude and spirit of which that email was mistakenly sent that reeked and seemed to show a whole new attitude on our campus (that Pohl would have never been part of) with NT's new leadership (at the very, very top) that seemed like the kind of attitude one might expect coming from those who may have been schooled or educated at a private university (where Elitism 101 seems to be a required course in order to graduate).smile.gif Just my .02

Edited by PlummMeanGreen