Football: UNT picks up JUCO OL Stanley

MootPoint

Football: UNT picks up JUCO OL Stanley

09:31 AM CST on Wednesday, December 21, 2005

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas’ pipeline from Coffeyville Community College paid dividends again on Tuesday when the Mean Green landed their biggest and possibly most decorated player thus far in recruiting.

Trent Stanley, a 6-2, 290-pound offensive lineman, confirmed Tuesday night that has orally committed to play for UNT. Oral commitments are non-binding. Junior college players can sign binding national letters of intent beginning today.

Stanley was a second-team NJCAA All-American in addition to being selected first-team All-Jayhawk Conference. He is the third Coffeyville player to commit to join UNT’s 2006 recruiting class.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...up.6515b37.html

Stanley is a really big commit as he will probably step in and start at guard. NT will look like this on the line:

T Jeremy Brown(Junior) / Ajani Banks(Freshman-RS)

G Dylan Lineberry(Senior) / Adam Venegas(Junior)

C Chad Rose(Sophomore) / Brian Amacker(Junior)

G Trent Stanley(Junior) / Jack Crumes(Freshman-RS)

T Joel Foster(Senior) / Josh Alexander(Junior)

Edited by Eagle-96

Stanley is a really big commit as he will probably step in and start at guard. NT will look like this on the line:

T Jeremy Brown(Junior) / Ajani Banks(Freshman-RS) 

G Dylan Lineberry(Senior) / Adam Venegas(Junior)

C Chad Rose(Sophomore) / Brian Amacker(Junior)

G Trent Stanley(Junior) / Jack Crumes(Freshman-RS)

T Joel Foster(Senior) / Josh Alexander(Junior)

Do you know how much these guys weigh and their speed in

the 40.

I do not want to sound pesimistic but "remember" last year our OL could not open the holes, pass protect, could not remember the snap counts and had too many holding penalties.

You can have size and no talent!! Back in the late 70's and early 80's Permian always had undersized linemen but the coaching staff stressed "fundamentals" and the undersized linemen made up for their weight defiencies with "talent." FB is not always "smash-mouth."

IMHO, this year, our coaching staff needs to stress "fundamentals" more than ever. Last year was too frustrating on:

1. OL not being able to pass block

2. OL not being able to open the holes

3. OL having too many penalties

We have the talent on the OL but no discipline/fundamentals.

FB is not always "smash-mouth." 

As long as we run the ball as much under the Dickey offense, then we better have some size and talent to move the defensive linemen out and create holes for JaMo. A 275 pound tackle may have some problems moving a 345 pound defensive tackle. Example: So. Miss vs. North Texas in last years NO Bowl.

My point is that if we can not get the "big/fast/smash-mouth" linemen and can only get, what appears to be "2-star" players then it is imperative that the coaching staff teach finese' and technique (basics) to keep the linemen from all the holding calls because they can not pass block or open holes for the runners.

Last year we witnessed poor coaching techniques that led to all the above problems.

Sounds like a good recruit, but I'll wait to lavish praise on any of them until I see them produce.

It doesn't look like Stanley has ever played center, but that he may be tried there.

“The coaches have told me that I will play guard or center,” Stanley said. “I have never played center before, but I would be willing to give it a try if they ask me to.”

That sounds like the coaches weren't too happy with Rose's performance last year.

Will he sign today and be eligible for spring practice?

Sounds like a good recruit, but I'll wait to lavish praise on any of them until I see them produce.

It doesn't look like Stanley has ever played center, but that he may be tried there.

That sounds like the coaches weren't too happy with Rose's performance last year.

Will he sign today and be eligible for spring practice?

All of the mid-term signings will be eligible for Spring ball which is actually about 2 months away.

As long as we run the ball as much under the Dickey offense, then we better have some size and talent to move the defensive linemen out and create holes for JaMo.  A 275 pound tackle may have some problems moving a 345 pound defensive tackle.  Example:  So. Miss vs. North Texas in last years NO Bowl.

345 pound defensive tackles are rare even in the NFL. Booger was one of the few extremely effective guys at (or around) that weight that I have seen in the college game. I would definitely like to see us with a LEGITIMATE 290-300 lb. OL. One more good 300 lb. JC guy might get us close next year. Size inflation ran rampant in Denton this past season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Banks cracks the starting lineup somewhere. He has great size that is desperatley needed on the front.

He (BANKS) will start somewhere, either right tackle or left tackle. Brown was listed as a starter at the beginning of the season, but rode the bench quite often towards the end of the season. I think Banks probably starts there. Then again, with Foster only pushing 268, maybe Brown is your guy

With Lineberry, Banks and this new recruit, we have some size now.

I would say it shakes out the following:

T - Banks 325 lbs

G - Stanley 290 lbs

C - Rose 285 lbs

G - Lineberry 310 lbs

T - Brown 299 lbs/Foster 268 lbs

... and then you can still throw in Venegas somewhere in there.

Things I believe are definately looking up ladies and gents!

GO MEEN GREEN!!!

He (BANKS) will start somewhere, either right tackle or left tackle.  Brown was listed as a starter at the beginning of the season, but rode the bench quite often towards the end of the season.  I think Banks probably starts there.  Then again, with Foster only pushing 268, maybe Brown is your guy

With Lineberry, Banks and this new recruit, we have some size now. 

I would say it shakes out the following:

T - Banks 325 lbs

G - Stanley 290 lbs

C - Rose 285 lbs

G - Lineberry 310 lbs

T - Brown 299 lbs/Foster 268 lbs

... and then you can still throw in Venegas somewhere in there.

Things I believe are definately looking up ladies and gents!

GO MEEN GREEN!!!

Didn't Brown have mono during the seaon or was that the year before?

One thing is for sure for next season. Rose needs to step up.

Finally, someone hit the nail on the head and it only took around 20 posts. Rose was the key to the failure of last years line. He was plagued by missed assignments, bad blocking, and just all around poor play on the line. You would have see an entirely different team last season had Brewster played. If next years team is going to get going on the ground and have time to pass he is going to be the key. It all starts at center. He needs to be a leader on the line not just a guy on it. I will admit Rose played much better at the end of the season, but was still not where he needs to be by any stretch.