To those who dis us for dissing Dickey:

Green Grenade II

I am aware that certain "fans" and Alums of North Texas are dissing anyone who expresses displeasure with the unispired coaching of Darrel Dickey.

So, to those people, and you know who you are....get a bleeping grip! We have to do something before our football program sinks any further. Our crowd for Louisiana-Lafayette will be small. I will be there, and I, along two who joined me were in Ruston for the LaTech rout of our Mean Green! I work, too...but the game was on Saturday. We left my house at 6am, and got back at 1am Sunday! So, until you make a road game....quit with the posts suggesting we're hurting our program with our thoughts on this board. Last time I looked...the problem is our coaching staff. So, who heads up our coaching staff. Three guesses!

Rick, I normally ignore your posts, but I could not let this one pass. I HAVE been to road games. Last year we went to Utah State. This year I went to Miami to watch our team play Florida International. What I saw in Florida were a bunch of kids fighting their tails off. They were playing a Florida International team with some good athletes. They had several kids who could have played for lots of Division 1 schools. Our coaches made some adjustments that shut down what they were doing on offense. They did not score a point after the first quarter.

We are not having a good year. Lots of folks saw this one coming. Go back and read some of Harry's posts from the pre-season where he just about comes out and says that we will not be very good this year but look out for 2006 and 2007. Nobody likes to have a down year, but it happens. This year's Oklahoma team is a great example. They lost to a TCU team that plays at a lower level than they do. For us that would be like losing to a 1-AA team. They won in overtime against a Baylor team that they have dominated in past years. Their fans aren't happy with them, either. The same coaches who led us to four consecutive conference championships and four consecutive bowl games did not forget how to coach over the summer.

Hang in there. It will get better.....but probably not this year.

We are not having a good year.  Lots of folks saw this one coming.  Go back and read some of Harry's posts from the pre-season where he just about comes out and says that we will not be very good this year but look out for 2006 and 2007. 

I think a few too many people had thier green glasses on and did not see this coming.

While someone who expected to see this team struggle this year, is probably just upset about how the team has played so far, someone who was expecting us to have 9-10 wins is probably out of thier mind.

someone who was expecting us to have 9-10 wins is probably out of thier mind.

...sigh...from a logical point of view, that may be true. However, please review the dictionary definition of "fanatic", of which "fan" is derived.

For DECADES we have long bemoaned the lack of "fans" at North Texas. When we finally start getting some, and they start expressing their expectations, they are called "out of their minds".......well duhhhh.. cool.gif

Edited by SilverEagle

...sigh...from a logical point of view, that may be true. However, please review the dictionary definition of "fanatic", of which "fan" is derived.

For DECADES we have long bemoaned the lack of "fans" at North Texas. When we finally start getting some, and they start expressing their expectations, they are called "out of their minds".......well duhhhh.. cool.gif

I guess I just want an informed and loyal fan base, some schools have it, I guess its not too much to hope for at North Texas.

Also, some people define "fan" as the behavior we're going to see in Baton Rouge this week. Throwing shoes, bottles, batteries, rocking buses, cussing out grandparents is something I never want to be part of North Texas.

Also, I meant "our of thier mind with anger", I was not calling people who expected us to win that many games crazy wink.gif

I think a few too many people had thier green glasses on and did not see this coming. 

If it was so for sure that we would suck - why did so many publications devote so much attention to covering us and our running backs? No one plans coverage on last year's success of a small school they've never covered if they expect the team to win 3 or 4 games and the players to put up average to good numbers. ESPN and USA Today would not write on us to be made to look as stupid as they have on us. They, like many here, expected JT and PC to be used in a way that really made this a special season.

I was as happy as anyone to see that USA Today cover and remember thinking "wow, we have really moved forward," but this season has undone so much of that.

I do not think we are in a gloom and doom situation as many seem to think, but this is going to make major media hesitate much more on us in the future. Our national profile has been the 4 bowl streak, a few close games, a nationally televised espn2 snooze fest (to the common fan - although with great pub for facilities), articles proclaiming JT and PC as the best thing going into a bust season, 2 non competitive bowl games (USM and CSU - with a losing record, as many in the media were quick to pick up on), 2 close bowl games that really did help (Cincinatti and close with Memphis), and all the times you see north texas on the bad end of a ticker scroll when the play an OOC.

We are not sinking (yet) and do not need to plan on a new coach yet, but it will be interesting to see who covers us in the future and how.

One more note/ anticipation: someone could say, well why didn't the media not cover OU? First of all, national profile of the two schools is different and many publications did acknowledge that OU could struggle if the talent does not come together quickly and lose 3 or 4 games. I do not have a source - and no one imagined it'd be TCU - but not many saw that coming.

Just thoughts from a media image standpoint...

If it was so for sure that we would suck - why did so many publications devote so much attention to covering us and our running backs? No one plans coverage on last year's success of a small school they've never covered if they expect the team to win 3 or 4 games and the players to put up average to good numbers. ESPN and USA Today would not write on us to be made to look as stupid as they have on us. They, like many here, expected JT and PC to be used in a way that really made this a special season.

I was as happy as anyone to see that USA Today cover and remember thinking "wow, we have really moved forward," but this season has undone so much of that.

I do not think we are in a gloom and doom situation as many seem to think, but this is going to make major media hesitate much more on us in the future. Our national profile has been the 4 bowl streak, a few close games, a nationally televised espn2 snooze fest (to the common fan - although with great pub for facilities), articles proclaiming JT and PC as the best thing going into a bust season, 2 non competitive bowl games (USM and CSU - with a losing record, as many in the media were quick to pick up on), 2 close bowl games that really did help (Cincinatti and close with Memphis), and all the times you see north texas on the bad end of a ticker scroll when the play an OOC.

We are not sinking (yet) and do not need to plan on a new coach yet, but it will be interesting to see who covers us in the future and how.

One more note/ anticipation: someone could say, well why didn't the media not cover OU? First of all, national profile of the two schools is different and many publications did acknowledge that OU could struggle if the talent does not come together quickly and lose 3 or 4 games. I do not have a source - and no one imagined it'd be TCU - but not many saw that coming.

Just thoughts from a media image standpoint...

I have been upset with how this team has played, but I have been upset with how DD takes off the OOC games every year, complains about the fans, the facilities, etc... and doesn't appear to run a disciplined program since he arrived. His winning conference has just kept me relatively quiet.

I am aware that certain "fans" and Alums of North Texas are dissing anyone who expresses displeasure with the unispired coaching of Darrel Dickey.

So, to those people, and you know who you are....get a bleeping grip! We have to do something before our football program sinks any further. Our crowd for Louisiana-Lafayette will be small. I will be there, and I, along two who joined me were in Ruston for the LaTech rout of our Mean Green! I work, too...but the game was on Saturday. We left my house at 6am, and got back at 1am Sunday! So, until you make a road game....quit with the posts suggesting we're hurting our program with our thoughts on this board. Last time I looked...the problem is our coaching staff. So, who heads up our coaching staff. Three guesses!

Rick, whoever the hell you are hinting and talking about here, just give me his name and address and I'll have my cousin Guido come over from Sicily and take care of the sumbich'! BTW, good to know how steadfast and consistent you are when it comes to most anything relating to NORTH TEXAS. Keep up the good work.

Rick, I normally ignore your posts, but I could not let this one pass.  I HAVE been to  road games.  Last year we went to Utah State. This year I went to Miami to watch our team play Florida International.  What I saw in Florida were a bunch of kids fighting their tails off.  They were playing a Florida International team with some good athletes.  They had several kids who could have played for lots of Division 1 schools.  Our coaches made some adjustments that shut down what they were doing on offense.  They did not score a point after the first quarter. 

We are not having a good year.  Lots of folks saw this one coming.  Go back and read some of Harry's posts from the pre-season where he just about comes out and says that we will not be very good this year but look out for 2006 and 2007.  Nobody likes to have a down year, but it happens.  This year's Oklahoma team is a great example.  They lost to a TCU team that plays at a lower level than they do.  For us that would be like losing to a 1-AA team.    They won in overtime against a Baylor team that they have dominated in past years.  Their fans aren't happy with them, either.            The same coaches who led us to four consecutive conference championships and four consecutive bowl games did not forget how to coach over the summer. 

Hang in there.  It will get better.....but probably not this year.

Great post, Huff, and one coming from an NT alum whose opinions I respect and whose friendship I have long valued.

Stability is a trait I admire and you and many others on this board are at the top of the list as great examples of such. Thanks for being that way because (quite frankly) it is a refreshing (and as of late, a rare) thing on this message board where emotions and attitudes (and I presume now, even some so called friendships) can change 180 degrees in the matter of minutes over quite trivial and small things compared to the things in life that really count). Sadly how much of that is happening on what really should (still) be the toy section of all of our's department store of life--namely anything relating to the University of North Texas. sad.gif Yet, it is with fans such as you and many others similar that we build our sold fan base. Thanks for that inspiration and example.

My regards to your whole family and (again) congrats to you and Mrs. Huff on yalls new grandchild of which I know you two are quite proud. Jeez, Huff, it seems only like yesterday that your 2 (now grown) son and daughter were kids running around on the concourse at Fouts Field. unsure.gif So I guess that means we are getting older than Methuselah? blink.gif

smile.gif

GMG!