Phantom Call

kj86

Curious about other's take on the pass interference call late in the game. Since it happened right in front of the Mean Green fan section, we had a pretty good look at it. It was a jump ball and our guy (can't remember who it was) wanted it more than the two defenders. He split the two defenders coming back to the ball and made the catch. I don't see any way it could have been offensive pass interference. What did George and Hank have to say about it?

Note: I'm not trying to say this was the difference in the game.

Guest JohnDenver

Curious about other's take on the pass interference call late in the game.  Since it happened right in front of the Mean Green fan section, we had a pretty good look at it.  It was a jump ball and our guy (can't remember who it was) wanted it more than the two defenders.  He split the two defenders coming back to the ball and made the catch.  I don't see any way it could have been offensive pass interference.  What did George and Hank have to say about it?

Note:  I'm not trying to say this was the difference in the game.

I walked to the other side of the stadium because I couldn't handle the sun anymore. It was almost as whipping as the game. On that play I was very confused as well. If anything it looked like a the defender was pulling his jersey down. I would think it was a no-call type situation.

Was this the call on Nwigwe?  I think I remember our announcers being surprised it was called against us.

yeah that's what I recall listening to the game. We were down 30-14 and were driving and that pass was exactly what we needed to get back into the game at that time and it got called back. I mentioned in another thread that I was curious as to whether it was deserved or not. Sounded a little fishy at the time.

Guest JohnDenver

yeah that's what I recall listening to the game. We were down 30-14 and were driving and that pass was exactly what we needed to get back into the game at that time and it got called back. I mentioned in another thread that I was curious as to whether it was deserved or not. Sounded a little fishy at the time.

I think what we really needed to get back in the game was NOT to fumble when we were actually moving the ball (just a little) and could have scored to make it an 11 point game. Ouch.

Troy game was sealed on a fumble. This game was pushed way out of contention after a fumble. FIU goal line fumble. They are really adding up ...

I think what we really needed to get back in the game was NOT to fumble when we were actually moving the ball (just a little) and could have scored to make it an 11 point game. Ouch.

Troy game was sealed on a fumble. This game was pushed way out of contention after a fumble. FIU goal line fumble. They are really adding up ...

Unfortunately the fumbler in all those instances has been JT.

I think we need to ride our SR horse, PC has been playing great considering he has had to make his own holes. Believe he has 3-4 100yd games right now.

Unfortunately the fumbler in all those instances has been JT.

I think we need to ride our SR horse, PC has been playing great considering he has had to make his own holes. Believe he has 3-4 100yd games right now.

George and Hank both said that after a screen play to Patrick on 3rd and inches that Patrick went back to the sideline and yelled at the coaches and threw his helmet down in frustration. Anyone have a clue what was said or what it was about, or if it was just blowing off a little steam?

I saw the play clearly. I was looking right at it. It looked like Nwigwe and the TWO LaTech defenders were all jostling for position just before the ball got there. Nwigwe split the two guys, went up and got the ball. I think the previously posted comment about "no call" was appropriate in this case. This play was discussed in GREAT company over dinner and adult beverages in Shreveport on Saturday night and that seemed to be the consensus.

Guest JohnDenver

George and Hank both said that after a screen play to Patrick on 3rd and inches that Patrick went back to the sideline and yelled at the coaches and threw his helmet down in  frustration.  Anyone have a clue what was said or what it was about, or if it was just blowing off a little steam?

I didn't see that, however I did notice that starting in the 2nd quarter we had players standing WAY down the field away from the coaches. PC was all alone most of the game.

Man, PC deserves a better season. I hope we can turn this bus around for him.

There was no pass interference on that play. Nwigwe pushed off to catch that ball just as much as the La Tech defender pushed off of one of our players to get their first interception. I know that whining about officiating is sad but there were several times when I would turn to other fans in disgust and hear "you're not gonna get that call AT La Tech." I didn't realize it was 30-14 at that point but I do believe we would have scored there.