Has North Texas killed it's CUSA appeal with this

NT80

From MG61 thread:

This was a snippet in todays The Commercial Appeal in Memphis:

Players for sale or rent

Division 1-A football coaches may want to take a look at Tulane game films. Because the school has been shut down since Hurricane Katrina, it's projected the university will lose $200 million this school year. Don't be surprised if the football program gets cut, meaning all Tulane players are eligible to transfer and play immediately next season. Some Tulane coaches have given a heads up to other coaches in the business that this will likely happen.

..................................................................................

It would be very sad if this did happen to Tulane, but what if...

If that happens CUSA will need a replacement, either all-sports, or as a football-only member. Who are the replacment candidate schools and does NT have anything better to offer than them?

North Texas

La Tech

ULL

Arkansas State

NMSU

others?

Don't you just love conference realignment talk again? cool.gif

Edited by NT80

In answer to the thread, no North Texas has not killed it's CUSA appeal with a single truly awful football season!

First, I don't believe Tulane is dropping football just yet.

Second, conferences look at far more than a single season in a single sport's record. Lack of baseball and our current facilities hurt us more than a football team at can't beat most out of conference opponents. We are working on correcting both of those problems.

They'll probaby look at this as our "off year".

But for everything else, they'll look at how we perform in other sports. An okay rating for women's BB, a great rating for women's soccer...but we're missing a key sport that other, smaller schools have- a baseball team.

I know one is the works, but it doesn't exist yet, and that's a big deal when conferences are looking to bring new schools on.

O Ye of this Village Who Have Just In Recent Years Arrived On The Mean Green Scene Please Lend Your Ears Here:

As long as SMU stands for Southern Methodist University and not S & M U & as long as they are located in Dallas, Texas, America.......please do read the rest.

NORTH TEXAS COULD:

** HAVE A NEW FOOTBALL STADIUM WITH A RETRACTABLE DOME (like I wish the Chicago White Sox had tonight). wink.gif

** MAKE THE PRINCETON REVIEW AS ONE OF THE TOP 5 ACADEMIC SCHOOLS IN THE SOUTHWEST

** GET A $ BILLION GIFT FROM MRS. LAMAR HUNT (an NT grad)

** COULD TELL SMU'ER's THAT ALL NORTH TEXAS EXES ARE GOING TO JOIN THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

BUT......

.............In my life time and most likely most of you young gun alum's lifetimes, NORTH TEXAS will never get the SMU vote or lobbying effort because their Old Timers still haven't made that slow ride out to Laurel Land, are still kickin' (and are still pissed over the demise of the SWC and the associations they wish they stilll had today) AND..........SMU Old Timers are still mostly full of the perceptions of yester-year than than realities of today and the future (BTW, that one of the reasons they weren't considered for Big 12 membership or CUSA membership on their first shot at its membership when TCU went into that league alone).

IMHO, NT still proceeds with what we need to do with the Mean Green Athletic Village (and FIWIW, what other bright spots do we have going at the moment?), our Mean Green football team develops and starts another string of winning seasons, we start beating the "beat-able" OOC schools on our future schedules AND just (in general) take care of the business we do have control. If you don't do this or somthing very similiar to this, many of our elect are setting themselves up for another major disappointment on all this conference re-alignment business again.

Those of our fans/alums who boycott the balance of the season by not attending the last 3 games at Fouts will be the ones who hurt our chances more than any one thing becaue attendance will still be the major barometer whether its CUSA or another possible league. NORTH TEXAS doesn't have the luxury of coming into any league as part of a consortium like SMU did along with Rice, UTEP and Tulsa. We have to be the Lone Ranger on all this again as always.

Although, I willl say I do agree with NT80 inasmuch as this is a refreshing change of pace from those on GMG.com trying to fill a head coach's position that is not vacant. blink.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

but we're missing a key sport that other, smaller schools have- a baseball team.

I know one is the works, but it doesn't exist yet, and that's a big deal when conferences are looking to bring new schools on.

UTEP, SMUt, Tulsa = no baseball

BTW, is our baseball stadium deal still a go? I haven't heard anything recently or seen any dirt movement at that location.

Well, the academics (college presidents) might wish to invite La Tech, which just recently jumped into US News' 3rd teir of rankings, rather than one that continues to languish in the 4th teir with the likes of A&M-Commerce.

Anyone who produces, sells (as I do) or compiles the US News' rankings can tell you what bunk they are. The better and actually authoritative ranking is the Princeton rating and Classification. In that instance, PMG is quite correct. You're looking at academically one of the best schools in the Southwest, and one which is Research/Doctoral Extensive.

That is a rating which matters, as opposed to a vote of US News' editorial board (which is how they get those rankings.)