say what you want, but...

gamebreaker

I was completely embarrassed in:

Fouts Field

Meager

O-Line

Defense

Crowd attendance

play-calling (very predictable and horrible)

our band (played fight song when Troy converted a 4th down at the end of the game!!)

our 'young' athletes compared to Troys youth.

bright spot:

they showed the new stadium on national television... huh.gif

heres what I have a problem with. why not spread the Defense out like they did at the end of the game...now youve got running lanes for the two "stud" backs and now you can throw the short passing routes (west coast offense). two TE's every play is just really boring and we dont have the athletes to run that kind of offense at the national level. we need to make a change....spread the D and throw the ball run cobbs. until that happens....go horns.

Could it be because Troy was in ther "pevent defense" and was giving us soft coverage unlike the ret of the game?

Are you saying that we couldn't spread the field and complete a pass when they were 8 in the box and playing man? Ridiculous. Of course DD wouldn't let Hall audible when he saw the defense crowding the line, so why should we expect anything different with a freshman in there? DD's decision to continually run at 8 and 9 man fronts couldn't be any worse than a freshman's audibles.

Fouts Field

Meager

O-Line

Defense

Crowd attendance

our band (played fight song when Troy converted a 4th down at the end of the game!!)

bright spot:

they showed the new stadium on national television...  huh.gif

Gamebreaker-

1.)I don't blame you for being disappointed with Danny Meager- I am too. He can get better, and he has to, he knows it moreso than we do.

2.)The OL had 8-9 people hitting it all the time. I challenge YOU to block 2-3 people at one time. Let's see if you can hold them off.

3.)The Defense did what it could- it fought Troy for almost 3 hours. Yeah, it gave up yards, but those don't mean squat without points. Matter of fact, you can rack up 1000 yards but it doesn't mean squat if you don't get the points behind them.

4.)The crowd attendance was good- that's about what we get for Saturday games...I assume you'd know that. The last time we had a Tuesday game, it may have had 10k in attendance.

5.)Maybe the band wanted our guys to perk up and fight back.

6.)They're young players. It happens.

7.)It's not too hard to be a fan of a team that already has everything- funding, fanbase, resources. It can't be too hard to be a fan of a team like that, can it? It's easy to say, "Hook em Horns" when you know a million and a half people will do it, isn't it? It's something deeper and more passionate when you are behind your team, regardless of what happens on the field.

Edited by meangreendork

Fouts Field

Meager

O-Line

Defense

Crowd attendance

bright spot:

Are you serious? So you are that easily embarrassed and, uh, what's with this go Horns business? Were you also a NY Yankee fan when they had those string of winning years? Real difficult to be a Yankee fan, eh? Are you also a SoCal Trojan fan right now? Is it just those who win that you follow? What a bore.

We call your type of sports fan a "front runnner" who jumps ship after that ship hits the first ice cube. Colleges don't build their attendance base with such fans. Enjoy your Horns--we will probably make-do without you. ph34r.gif

Are you serious?  So you are that easily embarrassed and, uh, what's with this go Horns business?  Were you also a NY Yankee fan when they had those string of winning years?  Real difficult to be a Yankee fan, eh?  Are you also a SoCal Trojan fan right now?  Is it just those who win that you follow?  What a bore.

We call your type of sports fan a "front runnner" who jumps ship after that ship hits the first ice cube.  Colleges don't build their attendance base with such fans.  Enjoy your Horns--we will probably make-do without you. ph34r.gif

Whats with all the beating up the Yankees, I been a yankee fan since I was 3 the year was 1969, before there even was a Rangers but keep in mind the yanks sucked from 1982-1995 and Yankee fans expected much more. When ever it comes down to the Yankees vs the Rangers I am a Rangers fan first although it never a really bad game to see all the players you support in one park.

If you were embarrassed and need to jump teams go ahead. That is why they call fans of a team "faithfull". It is like a marriage. Some days are very sweet and some days are very hard. It is the culmination of these days, the work, the losses, the wins, etc. that bring it all worth while when the moment hits and you realize you only have 1 true team you support.

My moment happened at OSU when the Green almost beat them. Referee again. But after I fell in love. It was hard being a fan against UT and A&M friends. But I hung in there. And yes I was able to say I am a Mean Green Faithfull. I got to say this when we went Div 1. When we beat TT, Baylor, Cincinnatti. When we had rushing champions back to back. When I see my friends tailgating at Denton I know who I am with. Mean Green Alumni. From the best school in The Nation. UNT.

That is being a fan.

If you want to be a Horns fan. Go ahead. You are free to do so. Just remember when I see a hard core fan I always ask them when they went to school there and almost always I hear. I went to " " but I grew up a "Horn" or "Aggie".

Something to think about.

I grew up an Aggies fan, watching the Aggs play at Kyle Field, following the Yell Leaders and hearing stories about Silver Taps. But I chose North Texas over TAMU when it came down to it, and I've never regretted it. I root for the Aggs because my Dad was one, and he roots for North Texas now. I've even got him wearing North Texas gear. Now, my sister will follow me to North Texas because I've got the whole family falling in love with the great academics, beautiful campus, and hometown atmosphere.

My dad used to be mad that I chose North Texas over his beloved Aggieland, but now, he says it was the best decision I could have made. So be a Horns fan if you will, but don't if you're that fair weather, don't bother calling yourself a Mean Green fan.

If you were embarrassed and need to jump teams go ahead. That is why they call fans of a team "faithfull". It is like a marriage. Some days are very sweet and some days are very hard. It is the culmination of these days, the work, the losses, the wins, etc. that bring it all worth while when the moment hits and you realize you only have 1 true team you support.

My moment happened at OSU when the Green almost beat them. Referee again. But after I fell in love. It was hard being a fan against UT and A&M friends. But I hung in there. And yes I was able to say I am a Mean Green Faithfull. I got to say this when we went Div 1. When we beat TT, Baylor, Cincinnatti. When we had rushing champions back to back. When I see my friends tailgating at Denton I know who I am with. Mean Green Alumni. From the best school in The Nation. UNT.

That is being a fan. 

If you want to be a Horns fan. Go ahead. You are free to do so. Just remember when I see a hard core fan I always ask them when they went to school there and almost always I hear. I went to "        " but I grew up a "Horn" or "Aggie".

Something to think about.

IMHO, that is a Top 10 post if there ever was one.

Fouts Field

Meager

O-Line

Defense

Crowd attendance

bright spot:

Wow...everyone's jumping on you? I dont think they get the humor in your post. Crowd attendance and Fouts Field were both BETTER than expected? Okay, you didnt like much of anything else either... Why UT? If your going to jump ship, go for Texas State...or SMU? They have exactly what you are looking for, and they need your support. Also remember that burn-orange color looks terrible on anything except UT jerseys. Texas State and SMU at least have cool colors? SMU would be a better choice. They are a C-USA powerhouse and you could see better QB play, better attendance, and more experienced athletes. Now honestly, I cant see what your problem is with the band? So they play our fight song at the wrong time...they are into the game and enthusiastic. UT has a band that plays "I've been working on the railroad" everytime Vince Young runs for a first down? By the fourth quarter you'll feel like you have been locked in a room with Martha Stewart...no amount of therapy can fix that, man. Oh well...to each his own, right?

I say lay off of the ole Gamebreaker. He has a keen mind for sports and knows exactly what he wants to see. I commend him for his bravery!!!

(Oh, sorry GB....before I forget, I cant make the knitting class Friday night..but thanks for the invite. I'm sure the skirt will look great!)

GMG!!!....'take your shots at the stadium if you want, but NO ONE insults this defense while my VERY DISTANT cousin Isaac Thomas wears #91.

(YES, my adopted player...and NO, we're not really cousins)

What a friggin wuss. One bad start to a season and you're jumpin out of the window. I put up with SMU football for 4 years, and still root for them ... THAT is painful. You are going to probably win out this season. Then will you be back?

I grew up in a die-hard generational Ole Miss family in Mountain Brook (Birmingham area), AL ... Ole Miss is hardly ever a team worth a crap in the SEC race. And I lived amongst Auburn and Bama fans. I do have a soft spot for Bama, especially now that Shula has been coaching them, but I would never jump the Rebel or SMU ship for another team that's going to win the title. I took many lumps watching the Rebs, but do you know how sweet it was when Eli took charge a couple years ago? If SMU ever wins 6 games, I think that might be even sweeter.

If you're going to root for the Horns, watch out this weekend. If they lose to a mediocre OU, will you jump their ship to anothers next week? Seems a lot of ships are unstable right now (Michigan, I think USC will lose eventually, LSU) -- maybe that's b/c in College Football, anything can happen. You're never going to enjoy the game if you can't stick with a team through it's hardships. Because victories will feel commonplace rather than something that rivals you spending time with your ladyfriend in bed.