MGR

Harry

I can and will get over the loss. Like my kids, I love the Mean Green because they are mine. Not because they buy wins every year like other programs, or that they look good, or because win in conference and make me proud, but because they are mine.

But what burns more than anything, and this goes back to every good first decent crowd at opening day we have had the past several years(Baylor'00, TCU'01,Nichols State'02, FAU'04), is all the hard work so many people in the university and athletic department did to bring back such a great game day experience for all of us only to send people home with such a sour taste. Plus with all the hype this season has brought about our running backs, and all the media attention that was there yesterday that came with it, media attention all of us have demanded for, for ever it seems, it was just a horrible, horrible time to drop such a "Steamer" of this magnitude.

Hopefully as many have said already that most fans, especially those with families will remember the good time they were having before the late second quarter started.

One of my officers at the FWFD who I have educated on everything there is to know about NT over the years came up with his family for the day. His second oldest daughter is attending NT as a freshman this fall. She came with a scholarship and could have attended anywhere she wanted and chose NT and according to the family she has had a blast so far. FirefightinJoey got to meet these folks as well and to hear about their experience about the day, everyone had a wonderful time and admitted how shocked they were how nice everything was, all the new facilities , the tailgating and the game day experience and all. Most college game day experiences for them in the past has been at TCU. I spoke to him today and he said regardless of the lopsided loss, he's now a Mean Green fan plus the entire campus really made a complete new and different impression on him and his wife and mostly they are thrilled their daughter seems very happy to be there.

This is what we must have for the future.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

If anyone wants to bitch about this loss, they are perfectly within their rights to do so. If you want to throw the coach, the players, the AD, the cheerleaders, or the guy in the fourth row under the bus, that is entirely your call. If you want to point out all the things that went wrong and repeat them ad nauseam, go ahead.

The rest of us, we're trying to find the silver lining.

At the end of the day, I'd much rather look for a reason to get myself up for the next game than for a reason to give up on the program. You guys can call me or Harry or anyone else pollyanna for trying to find the positives wherever we can, and that's totally your right to do so. But please don't think we're spin artists or anything. Everything that Harry said in the article is right. He wasn't trying to tell you that saturday's game was ok. Both he, Coach Dickey, and myself will be the first to tell you that it sucked in just about every facet. No one is trying to say otherwise. But there is hope, even in these dark times, and that, I think, was our main point.

If anyone wants to bitch about this loss, they are perfectly within their rights to do so.  If you want to throw the coach, the players, the AD, the cheerleaders,  or the guy in the fourth row under the bus, that is entirely your call.  If you want to point out all the things that went wrong and repeat them ad nauseam, go ahead.

The rest of us, we're trying to find the silver lining.

At the end of the day, I'd much rather look for a reason to get myself up for the next game than for a reason to give up on the program.  You guys can call me or Harry or anyone else pollyanna for trying to find the positives wherever we can, and that's totally your right to do so.  But please don't think we're spin artists or anything.  Everything that Harry said in the article is right.  He wasn't trying to tell you that saturday's game was ok.  Both he, Coach Dickey, and myself will be the first to tell you that it sucked in just about every facet.  No one is trying to say otherwise.  But there is hope, even in these dark times, and that, I think, was our main point.

I haven't posted how I really feel about this loss. Mainly because I don't think there are words in the english language to adequately express it.

I suppose that there will be better days, but I don't need to be reminded of what it takes for a winning program to be in place.

The rank and file fan has worked very hard to try and make things better for this program. The Greenbackers have put on food events. They've made anyone and everyone welcome at tailgating, and encouraged other people to come out and enjoy the game day atmosphere.

We get a bit edgy and frustrated at times (like the time Saturday that some students were fishing through the FREE refreshment kid-pool, and rather than say "thanks for the free water/soda they said "this pool needs more ice"), but we all "keep on keep'in on". We pester our friends/relatives to come to games, we write e-mails to sports writers who slight our school, or ignore it entirely, and we try and make a point of thanking businesses for carrying North Texas gear.

Everything was perfectly in place for our program to take a BIG step forward in it's quest for a better conference venue, as well as more local respect. I don't care how many SBC games we win from now on, and I don't give a fat rat's rear about how bad some other schools lost yesterday. I will never forget this HUGE EMBARRASSMENT that was put on in front of 24K fans.....never.

I haven't posted how I really feel about this loss. Mainly because I don't think there are words in the english language to adequately express it. 

I suppose that there will be better days, but I don't need to be reminded of what it takes for a winning program to be in place.

The rank and file fan has worked very hard to try and make things better for this program. The Greenbackers have put on food events. They've made anyone and everyone welcome at tailgating, and encouraged other people to come out and enjoy the game day atmosphere.

We get a bit edgy and frustrated at times (like the time Saturday that some students were fishing through the FREE refreshment kid-pool, and rather than say "thanks for the free water/soda they said "this pool needs more ice"), but we all "keep on keep'in on". We pester our friends/relatives to come to games, we write e-mails to sports writers who slight our school, or ignore it entirely, and we try and make a point of thanking businesses for carrying North Texas gear.

Everything was perfectly in  place for our program to take a BIG step forward in it's quest for a better conference venue, as well as more local respect. I don't care how many SBC games we win from now on, and I don't give a fat rat's rear about how bad some other schools lost yesterday.  I will never forget this HUGE EMBARRASSMENT that was put on in front of 24K fans.....never.

Well silver, there are some things I disagree with you on. Right now I feel 100% the same as you on this one. This one is going to hurt for a long, long time. I've lost all of the slim sliver of respect I had for DD built over the last 3 or 4 years. He's now starting from ground zero with me again. The continued quips about "what I have to work with here" are now just that more painful knives in the back. And yet we continue to give him a free pass on that?

Guest JohnDenver

It isn't fair to paint Harry as the pom-pom guy. I talked with Harry during the fourth quarter and he was as negative as anyone on this board. He was in the same situation as many of us -- brought a big group with him, but ended up alone when everyone left in disgust.

Harry is experienced in waking up the next day and starting over. We need to get thicker skins in order to stay UNT fans.

Thanks for the write-ups Harry. You do a good job. Some of us need the view from the other side of the coin. Life does go on... we will win more games (sooner hopefully) sooner or later.

It isn't fair to paint Harry as the pom-pom guy. I talked with Harry during the fourth quarter and he was as negative as anyone on this board. He was in the same situation as many of us -- brought a big group with him, but ended up alone when everyone left in disgust.

Harry is experienced in waking up the next day and starting over. We need to get thicker skins in order to stay UNT fans.

Thanks for the write-ups Harry. You do a good job. Some of us need the view from the other side of the coin. Life does go on... we will win more games (sooner hopefully) sooner or later.

Harry it was really great meeting you Saturday. You are nothing like the Dirty Harry with the attitude we all see. Yes I decided to rent a car from Sasche and even though my wife was not much in favor of me going to the game, I am sure glad I came. Its been guys like Harry and even Stebo who took the time to explain to me a couple of years ago what had taken place at NT during my 7 yr abscense that has resulted in appreciating my university so much more. rolleyes.gif