Attention IDIOTS

Baby Arm!

Actually the bulk of his assesment of the ESPN article is correct.

...but most sports writers think they are the only folks that know what they are talking about... they feel they have a monopoly on the concept. They don't like the competition the blogs offer... See the Mainstream media's horror when discussing talk radio and the internet blogers...

...so, don't get so upset... F him. Who cares what he thinks? Not worth the stress to worry what he thinks.

Actually he is usually pretty positive about the Mean Green.  He's just hammering this board for some reason.

I can't believe it took as long as it did for someone to post it on here and get everybody worked up.

Some on this message board, ie, GMG.com have forgotten more about the University of North Texas and Mean Green Athletics than this Pulitzer Prize non-winner will ever stay in Denton long enough to learn.

Hellsbells, FWIW, some in the Denton Record/Chronicle Sports Department the last few years have probably even had to refer to this board for info or even probably got a few ideas for some of their feature articles. Of course, you would never receive an admission to the truth of that matter! rolleyes.gif

I've been here a long time...long enough to pipe up about this.

Ummm...guys...hate to break it to you. We ARE idiots. Myself included.

Have you ever read this board (and the other one for that matter) without the green-tinted glasses? We sound pretty stupid most of the time.

So quit the bitching about Evan's article. He's pretty dead on...and he wasn't entirely ripping on us.

Without this board, I might not even be a fan... I went to the NMSU game last year knowing nothing about mean green football. My friends and I sat general admission. The game was so awesome, not too long after, I was researching mean green football, this site came up, and if not, I probably would not have been as hooked. Granted the game experience had alot to do with it, I know now I will try to bring as much as possible to the games and watch us smash the belt until we get a new stadium.

The boards pretty much idiotic, granted, but I get a helluva alot of information on this board, and as soon as I get the MGR, I will get more. So, thanks GMG Nation.

Without this board, I might not even be a fan... I went to the NMSU game last year knowing nothing about mean green football. My friends and I sat general admission. The game was so awesome, not too long after, I was researching mean green football, this site came up, and if not, I probably would not have been as hooked. Granted the game experience had alot to do with it, I know now I will try to bring as much as possible to the games and watch us smash the belt until we get a new stadium.

The boards pretty much idiotic, granted, but I get a helluva alot of information on this board, and as soon as I get the MGR, I will get more. So, thanks GMG Nation.

I think there are more feelings like the aforementioned post by ntmeangreen11 because of GMG.com than the (so called) idioitic ones. There are some on our campus who call us idiots because we support NT Athletics, but when those alums who stayed interested (& involved) in NT because of athletics AND then......... give said academic department a very nice cash gift, I suppose that alum's IQ goes up quite suddenly.

Hey! This is a college smack board. Its supposed to be crowded with Mean Green homers (sue us!) and supporters for their school's varsity athletic teams. This is not the Starbucks crowd here. We are not of the social climbing crowd here. We don't walk around with our noses up in the air (while hoping for no rain). rolleyes.gif

If you read Mad magazine, you get the world according to the Alfred E. Newmans of this world. If you read Cosmopolitan, you get the world according to all the Helen Gurley Browns of this world. If you read Playboy and never look at the photos........well, nevermind, didn't mean to go there.

GMG.com is what it is. Its a collegiate smack and flame board. Some of us know more about our alma mater because of this forum than NT could have ever afforded to mail to us such info over a period of time, maybe years. If you notice, some at the University of North Texas even have our emails because of GoMeanGreen.com, because most of us have never sent our email addresses to our alma mater's data bases.

www.GoMeanGreen.com in a recent month had millions of hits for that one month. Maybe Harry, Cerebus or Illuvius can give us the specifics of those numbers? Who knows, there may be more (lurkers and posters) who check out GMG.com than the Denton Record-Chronicle! blink.gif

BUT.........if you don't like idiotic boards, I guess you'd have to be an idiot to keep on reading one. There are those who read this message board from our campus who swear they don't read any of this, but when you are on campus and in a conversation with some of that group, you know by some of the things they say to you that they would have had to be readers of GMG.com to say some of those very things they have commented on.

This board has helped build comraderie among those who need that more than others. It has helped put faces to names. GMG.com posts have pissed off some among the MG Nation, but most of us on this board just are not the kind who stay pissed.

On GoMeanGreen .com we have a pretty fair micro-cosm of NT alumnus thought and attitude. Some paid employees on campus don't like that so they put together their own little rubber-stamp groups who are usually not a fair representation of what NORTH TEXAS is really about at all.

GoMeanGreen(.com)! rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Well, I think the ad-hominem stuff should probably have been edited out, but this board, like any college fan board in america, is going to show a much broader range of emotion than is probably appropriate to any given context. And, let's face it, there are a lot of very silly opinions (myself included) voiced on this board in the heat of the moment. There are a lot of weird things that people say here and some opinions and assesments are flat out wrong.

That said, anyone knocking a fan board for overzealousness looks pretty idiotic themselves. Even the most ludicrous opinions voiced on this board ultimately make me smile, because that means that people are excited. And excited fans are what makes college sports great, even if they can't grasp the brilliance of a given scheme.

I've been here a long time...long enough to pipe up about this.

Ummm...guys...hate to break it to you.  We ARE idiots.  Myself included. 

Have you ever read this board (and the other one for that matter) without the green-tinted glasses?  We sound pretty stupid most of the time.

So quit the bitching about Evan's article.  He's pretty dead on...and he wasn't entirely ripping on us.

Agreed, plus, he was just calling us what the "Mean and Green" board calls this board, and call the "Mean and Green" board what we call it.

Josh,

Thanks for your advice. If you're a regular reader of my column, "They've

got to be KIDDING," then you will know that it is a humor column in which I

poke fun at a wide range of sports subjects -- myself not excluded.

At no point did I bash the UNT athletic program, I was in fact supporting

it.

People who spend a lot of their time talking about the shortcomings of

others should be able to take it when somebody dishes it back out.

I know I can.

Hope you read the next column on Sunday.

Ethan

PS - I find it interesting that I did not address which message board was

which, but ya'll seemed to know without being told.

This was his response to my very passive e-mail, in which I simply stated I did not approve of the article, and I didn't think that publishing that article helped NT in any way.

This was his response to my very passive e-mail, in which I simply stated I did not approve of the article, and I didn't think that publishing that article helped NT in any way.

I guess he was trying to be cute with his comment in the PS. It is pretty obvious that the other board is the Bitter one so by process of elimination.

Edited by Eagle-96

He isn't much of a writer - besides, if he was, he might be asking some of the tough questions we seem to ask......go to any big college town and you will find that the sports writers always seem to get to the bottom of things - but not the DRC.

Ever notice how players around here just "leave" the team and none of the writers at the DRC ever quesiton it - well at the big schools they do.

He is just showing us with his words, just how bad of a writer he is in my opinion.

The problem with his response is that at no point in his article did he base the title that the supposed "we" (more likely being HE) had bestowed upon us at the DRC on the merit of arguments. Partly, it has to be because we fall on all sides of every argument, which is why discussions take place. His attempts to point to us as maintaining some kind of cohesive belief system is simply wrong.

"Throw the ball" was more popular when I was a student at North Texas (prior to 2000). The chant doesn't really come out that much anymore, and it's certainly not one of the bigger contentions of this board that Dickey needs to overhaul the offense.

However, we still don't win OOC games regularly with this offense. As people have stated, it will work against equal or lesser talent 99% of the time. That doesn't mean it's bad, but that's why some people have tempered their enthusiasm for what we've accomplished.

As far as the MTSU game - during our run of domination, THAT GAME was in many ways our SMARTEST played. We are KNOWN as a team that racks up a lot of penalties and have, in the past, given opponents extra chances and allowed games to be much closer than they should. This is a valid concern for people to have.

Ethan simply is not a very smart or talented writer. Referring to the board as the "Idiot Board" is one thing. Introducing it as a title in an article without a strong argument for it simply points out the obvious - jealousy is an ugly thing.

His response bothers me more than anything, because, again, it shows a hypocritical smugness for someone whose article appears to have COME FROM the "message board school of journalism." He's a high school beat writer for the DRC, which is somewhere just above having your own "myspace." Whoopety-doo.