NT and LSU reschedule game for Oct. 29

NT80

North Texas And LSU Reschedule Football Game For October 29

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 09/09/2005

DENTON, Texas – The University of North Texas and Louisiana State University, along with the cooperation of the University of Louisiana-Monroe and the University of Louisiana-Lafayette, have reached an agreement to reschedule their football game originally planned for Sept. 3.

The game was postponed when Baton Rouge and LSU became staging grounds for the relief and recovery effort of Hurricane Katrina.

The change will require North Texas to play at LSU on Oct. 29, when it was originally scheduled to host Louisiana-Monroe in Denton. The game against Louisiana-Monroe will now be played on Nov. 19, which was originally an open date for the Mean Green.

“Because of the cooperation of our president Dr. Norval Pohl along with Dr. James Cofer at Louisiana-Monroe and Dr. Wayne Andrepont at Louisiana-Lafayette we were able to come to an amicable resolution with the administration at LSU,” Athletic Director Rick Villarreal said. “Bobby Staub at Louisiana-Monroe and David Walker at Louisiana-Lafayette were also very instrumental in the effort. I would also like to thank our head coach Darrell Dickey who has supported this process through a very difficult time for everyone.”

With Louisiana-Monroe coming to Denton on Nov. 19, it was forced to reschedule its game with Louisiana-Lafayette, which will now be played on Nov. 26. North Texas will have to move its homecoming that was scheduled for the Oct. 29 game.

“I am pleased that the three Sun Belt schools could come to the aid of LSU at a time when it faces many difficulties,”North Texas President Dr. Norval Pohl said. “I applaud the effort of Athletic Director Rick Villarreal and his counterparts to bring this to a workable solution.”

Revised North Texas Football Schedule

Sept. 10 at Middle Tennessee

Sept. 17 Tulsa

Sept. 24 at Kansas State

Oct. 4 Troy (ESPN2)

Oct. 15 at Florida International

Oct. 22 at Louisiana Tech

Oct. 29 at LSU

Nov. 5 Louisiana-Lafayette

Nov. 12 at Florida Atlantic

Nov. 19 Louisiana-Monroe

Nov. 26 Arkansas State

The only drawback is that we have 3 away games in a row, during the best Texas weather for tailgating. That's a bit disappointing, but at least we'll get the payout.

The university is going to need to really get on the ball to get all of the homecoming events rescheduled and to make sure everyone knows about the change. The last thing we need is a bunch of alumni (and possible donors) coming to Fouts on Oct. 29 wanting to know where the game is.

this move just ensures that i'm going to have to make the la. tech game because i don't think i could take 3 straight weekends with no live mean green football.

The La Tech game in Ruston will be an easy road trip. I expect no less than 5,000 NT fans (this means all of you!!). It starts at 3pm and is their homecoming game too! cool.gif

Thanks greenjoe, but since Dallas isn't in LA or MS the tickets aren't covered by the Katina cancellation deals. Now I'm trying to decide if I can fork out another 150 bucks to change my travel dates. Seeing as I barely afforded the tickets in the first place, I'm currently leaning towards no.

*sigh*

Man, when I came back three years ago I had to go thru the drama with my Driver's Liscence being stolen and now this. What is it with me and Homecoming? laugh.gif

CMJ I feel your pain.

I bought a plane ticket that was a steal of a deal in August to make the LSU game. That trip from Hawaii to Dallas still happened over Labor Day but the emotions were all over the board watching the devastation in LA and meanwhile missing my opportunity to see the Green.

I just chunked it up to Mother Nature and kept my thoughts inside - no matter what you could say it sounded insensitive wanting to see a Mean Green football game.

I survived and am hunkered down ready to watch the Mean Green in the Boro on ESPN gameplan tomorrow.

There will be other Green Days!

GMG

Some National press from the AP:

North Texas game rescheduled for Oct. 29 at LSU

September 9, 2005

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- The LSU-North Texas football game, originally scheduled as the season opener for Sept. 3, has been rescheduled for Oct. 29 in Tiger Stadium.

The postponement was forced by Hurricane Katrina.

The shift came about after two games involving North Texas, Louisiana-Lafayette and Louisiana-Monroe were moved to different dates, LSU officials said Friday.

An Oct. 29 game between North Texas and Louisiana-Monroe will be played on Nov. 19. The Louisiana-Monroe and Louisiana-Lafayette game scheduled for Nov. 19 will be played on Nov. 26.

``Our friends in the University of Louisiana System, particularly presidents Ray Authement of UL-Lafayette and Jim Cofer of ULM, as well as North Texas President Norval Pohl, have come to our aid in making this move possible,'' said LSU Chancellor Sean O'Keefe.

``Our friends in the University of Louisiana System, particularly presidents Ray Authement of UL-Lafayette and Jim Cofer of ULM, as well as North Texas President Norval Pohl, have come to our aid in making this move possible,'' said LSU Chancellor Sean O'Keefe.

=======================

ULM board seems to think that LSU forced the change.

Wrom: ZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBOHMKH

To: ALL (1 of 6)

Can someone explain to me how we got bullied into chaning the ULL game from Nov. 19th to Nov. 26th. From looking at the composite schedule, UNT was originally slated to play their last game on Nov. 12th. Why was it not possible to move our game with UNT to Nov. 26th, thus allowing us to keep our Pre-Thanksgiving weekend date with ULL. We are now guaranteed a sorry attendance for the Nov. 26th home tilt with ULL! Is there something that I am not understanding here? It seems that LSU has struck again.

Wrom: JYFMYXOEAIJJPHSCRTNHGS

To: Bmack15 (2 of 6)

There better be some cash coming out of Baton Rouge for this one. Not only do we have the 2 week break we didn't want now we have a game over Thanksgiving. I was all for helping iron things out with the circumstances etc. but this is pretty steep if in fact we don't get any compensation.

Wrom: WZIDREXCAXZOWCONEUQZAAFXI

To: bb (BB19) (3 of 6)

UL will be compensated nicely for this. As for ull, who cares, really!

Wrom: SHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSFDULHPQQWOYIYZ

To: Bmack15 (4 of 6)

Make it a Thanksgiving day game and I will come.

The game would get national attention on TG especailly if the bowl game was on the line.

The layoff for ULMonroe would be shorter going into the game.

I think I like the later date regardless, because if either team makes the New Orleans Bowl they will have had a game closer to the bowl.

Wrom: UNNYCGPKYLEJGDGVCJVT

To: Bmack15 (5 of 6)

I don't know the arrangements that have been made, but it sure APPEARS LSU is up to being a bully as usual. Hopefully I'm wrong and the Louisiana Indians athletic department is getting some substantial cash from this change.

Wrom: LBXFGGMEPYOQKEDOTWFA

To: ULMPenn unread (6 of 6)

5694.6 in reply to 5694.5

Well we better hope that the cash payoff is greater than the potential cash "loss" as a result from moving the game. Now we have a two week layoff during the middle of the season, back to back road games at MTSU and UNT, and our in-state rivalry game moved to the Saturday following Thanksgiving! I would have preferred to play UNT on the 26th but there is nothing we can do about it now.

Official ULM statement on game schedule changes:

ULM ANNOUNCES FOOTBALL SCHEDULE CHANGES

Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina necessitates movement of games

Sept. 9, 2005

MONROE, La. --- Louisiana Monroe will be making changes to its 2005 football schedule in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"These are unique times in the state of Louisiana as we deal with aftermath of Hurricane Katrina," said ULM director of athletics Bobby Staub. "The extenuating circumstances made it necessary to revise our remaining schedule."

ULM's game at North Texas on Oct. 29 has been moved to Nov. 19. The Indians' home game with Louisiana-Lafayette, originally scheduled for Nov. 19, has been moved to Saturday, Nov. 26.

The changes will allow North Texas to play LSU on Oct. 29 in Baton Rouge. The North Texas-LSU game was postponed last week after Hurricane Katrina turned Baton Rouge into an evacuee center.

2005 ULM Revised Football Schedule

Sept. 10 - at Wyoming, 2 p.m.

Sept. 17 - at Georgia, 12 pm.

Sept. 22 - *at Florida Atlantic, 6:30 p.m.

Oct. 1 - *Arkansas State, 6 p.m.

Oct. 8 - at Arkansas (Little Rock), 6 p.m.

Oct. 15 - *Troy (Homecoming), 2:30 p.m.

Nov. 5 - *Florida International, 3 p.m.

Nov. 12 - *at Middle Tennessee, TBA

Nov. 19 - *at North Texas, TBA

Nov. 26 - *Louisiana-Lafayette, TBA

Monroe News Star wants comments on the schedule change. (From the ULM thread)

I'd like to get some fan reaction to this decision for The News-Star. Is this the right move and the charitable thing to do in tough times? Even if there is money involved or future considerations, do consecutive bye weeks, two tough road games late and potentially losing TV time on ESPN Regional put ULM at a competitive disadvantage? I don't know if there is compensation involved for ULM as the folks in charge today declined to comment beyond the release. Send your e-mails to pletlow@thenewsstar.com. Be sure to include your name and hometown.

Thanks. The voices of the fans and our readers are important.

Paul Letlow

The News-Star