Superdome coming down?

Coach

Ted Koppel just said that the Superdome was coming down during a news break halftime of the FSU/Miami game.

I heard the same thing. I don't know the state of the architecture or anything like that, but the Dome coming down sounds a bit drastic. I really hope for the city of New Orleans doesn't lose what has become a landmark.

I anticipated this. Even though it's pork barrel politics the Superdome will be demolished to make a new improved Federaly funded hurricane shelter that will have a sufficient amount of luxury boxes to keep Tom Benson from relocating the Saints to another city.

It's just Louisiana politics.

Personally, I wish they would retain and repair the Superdome for convention usage and just build another larger and stronger facility adjacent to it.

I anticipated this. Even though it's pork barrel politics the Superdome will be demolished to make a new improved Federaly funded hurricane shelter that will have a sufficient amount of luxury boxes to keep Tom Benson from relocating the Saints to another city.

Personally, I wish they would retain and repair the Superdome for convention usage and just build another larger and stronger facility adjacent to it.

hopefully bringing in lots of soil or rock or something to build upon and raise above sea level.

I'm glad we had 4 bowl games there but the Dome was a little dated inside, the vinyl plastic seats needed replacing and the floors sticky with beer every time I was there. The exterior looked nice and will be missed if they tear it down. We were lucky to visit New Orleans in it's prime.

I saw the Koppel interview. That was an interview with a local contractor overseeing possible repairs of the SuperDome. He was guestimating that it was too destroyed to repair but didn't sight anything to base it on other than the roof covering was torn off. I'm figuring, of course he would say that, he probably stands a chance at getting the contract. The same thing was said about the Bank One Tower in Ft Worth a few years ago after the tornado hit it. It took a lot more damage than what seems the Superdome has had. They were all set up with a date and everything to implode it but didn't and it's now a highrise full of luxury condo's.

Rick

I saw the Koppel interview.  That was an interview with a local contractor overseeing possible repairs of the SuperDome.  He was guestimating that it was too destroyed to repair but didn't sight anything to base it on other than the roof covering was torn off.  I'm figuring, of course he would say that, he probably stands a chance at getting the contract.  The same thing was said about the Bank One Tower in Ft Worth a few years ago after the tornado hit it.  It took a lot more damage than what seems the Superdome has had.  They were all set up with a date and everything to implode it but didn't and it's now a highrise full of luxury condo's.

Rick

I seriously doubt that the superdome could be converted into anything similar. If the dome is 30+ years old, then they've probably been thinking about replacing it anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints get REAL comfortable in San Antonio. SA has been wanting a pro football team for some time now. Who knows..... rolleyes.gif

I seriously doubt that the superdome could be converted into anything similar. If the dome is 30+ years old, then they've probably been thinking about replacing it anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints get REAL comfortable in San Antonio. SA has been wanting a pro football team for some time now.  Who knows..... rolleyes.gif

I don't think anyone would be surprised if the Saints settled down permanently in San Antonio. They have made it clear for years that they have wanted out of New Orleans unless they got a new stadium. Season ticket sales were around 12,000 when Hurricane Katrina came through New Orleans. Last year, their avg. attendence was at only 87% capacity in the Superdome, which only 3 teams had lower in the NFL(San Diego, Oakland, and Arizona).

The only thing is though that they are more than likely going to face alot of backlash from fans in Louisiana and across the NFL for using the Hurricane as an excuse to finally get out of New Orleans.

Edited by NTEagle08

I highly doubt that the Superdome will be able to be used to any effeciency without a serious amount of monies to do the repair, and at this point, with its age, the saits would probably just go ahead and fund a new stadium.

Just my guess

I seriously doubt that the Saints will fund any sort of new stadium. They will want the city of NO (or La) to build it.

I seriously doubt that the Saints will fund any sort of new stadium. They will want the city of NO (or La) to build it.

Yeah with all that extra money the city and state have!

Not going to happen. The bill for this storm is going to be more than they can handle.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints get REAL comfortable in San Antonio. SA has been wanting a pro football team for some time now.  Who knows..... rolleyes.gif

San Antonio has as much or more upside as New Orleans of which (believe it or not) Denton County has a larger population (than NO's, that is). But FWIW, I would hate to seen any US city kick a dog while it is down. sad.gif