Bowl Rumors - Some Sun Belt

MeanGreen61

Posted on the CUSA board. a FWIW post with some interesting comments about the Sun Belt.

==================================

CUSA board thread

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/confusa/invi...ST&f=22&t=27671

Take it for what it is worth.......................

The Liberty Bowl is working on a shared deal to include CUSA.

The LB will pit BE#3 vs SEC#7 OR #8. Should there be no SEC team available, CUSA gets in, or if a CUSA team is ranked with a very good record and the SEC team is a 6-6 team, CUSA would get the slot over the SEC.

Houston Bowl........

Will have a new sponsor and will be apart of the CUSA bowl line-up 2006.

What order in bowl line-up is still up in the air.

If the money is right, HN could be the next home for CUSA Champ.

And the HB will also get the MWC Champ.

Fort Worth Bowl will be apart of CUSA bowl line-up for 2006.

minimum payout bowl will feature MWC(TCU most years) vs CUSA West or best CUSA available. SBC talking about putting their champ in this bowl too. If so, then it would be SBC vs MWC(TCU)

GMAC Bowl...................is talking to WAC again about getting WAC champ vs CUSA. MAC tie-in is supposedly on its last legs as Marshall/UCF are now in CUSA. BIG12 is also being talked to for 2006. Another case of a shared spot is in the works here to.

Hawaii Bowl...................Is on the verge of going belly up. If it remains up and running, it will still be a CUSA tie-in.

New Orleans Bowl.............. good for CUSA. SBC might leave for Fort Worth or end up with 2 bowls. MAC commish has been hanging around New Orleans Bowl people. He is working his hand on getting MAC another bowl.

more info...............

SBC is working hard on a possible 2nd bowl game. If they can't get a current bowl, there is talk of creating a new bowl for their champ in the southeast or maybe again in Miami, FL.

MAC has eyes on Toronto Bowl 2006 being certified. But Commish Chryst has been shaking hands and talking with anyone who will listen. Especially the New Orleans Bowl. MAC and WAC are talking of playing a champ vs champ bowl whether it be the MCB or Toronto.

Well, there's some "rumor" for you all. I just got this info tonight and put it on as soon as I got it.

But remember, it is rumor and "take it for what it is worth".

Edited by MeanGreen61

SBC leaves NO for the Fort...why thats just plumm crazy talk.

If FW bowl has another poor showing it could be curtains, this is the last year of it's contract, and no sponser so far.

I agree that is just "plumm" crazy talk! Except for the fact that this non-flyer wouldn't have to board a plane, but darn it............its still crazy. ohmy.gif

There are other leagus who now know the Sun Belt Conference has something very special with the NEW ORLEANS BOWL. Hope Wright doesn't drop the ball on this one.

I agree that is just "plumm" crazy talk!  Except for the fact that this non-flyer wouldn't have to board a plane, but darn it............its still crazy. ohmy.gif

There are other leagus who now know the Sun Belt Conference has something very special with the NEW ORLEANS BOWL.  Hope Wright doesn't drop the ball on this one.

SBC champ to N.O. bowl won't change unless the payout is bigger elsewhere. Doubt it.

As I and others have hinted at in the last caouple of years, a 2nd bowl tie-in is coming.

It may be in Ft. Worth. It may be in Miami in a new bowl. It may be in Houston.

As I and others have hinted at in the last caouple of years, a 2nd bowl tie-in is coming.

"I and other have hinted". cool.gif It's no secret that WW has been talking to others and working for another bowl. Having 2 bowl teams last year didn't hurt, however we've got to routinely have multiple teams qualify.

MAC has eyes on Toronto Bowl 2006 being certified. But Commish Chryst has been shaking hands and talking with anyone who will listen. Especially the New Orleans Bowl. MAC and WAC are talking of playing a champ vs champ bowl whether it be the MCB or Toronto.

A MAC vs. WAC championship bowl in Toronto or Boise blink.gif Might work for BCS conferences to have bowls out of the home markets for the conferences, but not for a non-BCS bowl.

A MAC vs. WAC championship bowl in Toronto or Boise blink.gif Might work for BCS conferences to have bowls out of the home markets for the conferences, but not for a non-BCS bowl.

With the way the WAC is spread from Ruston to Hawaii and now a possible bowl in Canada, they should change to the World Athletic Conference. Take off eh.

Seems that an ESPN guy replied to the post that's the subject of this thread. Couple of interesting Sun Belt and North Texas comments.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

here some comments from ESPN man, DShoe. He replied to my post on herdfans.com

here is what he said.................

Pretty good information here although some of it is off-base..............

Hawaii Bowl isn't about to go "belly up" for example..........isn't in trouble at all, in fact......certainly it will be interesting to see what happens there the first year Hawaii isn't in it.

Houston, is in the MOST precarious situation of all the bowls.........and while CUSA is a natural there, don't look for MWC champion to be the other lock.........unless Las Vegas passes on MWC champ for another MWC team

Ft. Worth, information is close, but not quite on the money.......SBC could be in but the way it looks it could NOT work out to be SBC champ v. TCU....nor is SBC team likely to displace a CUSA team......you make the assumption that TCU would rep. the MWC in most years......that's unlikely unless MWC can't land another bowl or two, while the game is played on TCU's campus, there is nothing in the contract language that gives the Bowl pick rights to TCU.....

GMAC: MAC is solid there at least for the next couple of years......and don't look for WAC to replace MAC there anytime soon. And Big XII will have trouble filling it's comittments now, couldn't possibly "lock up" with GMAC for 2006....they are 8 deep now in terms of comittments going beyond 2006

Motor City just signed an extension with the Big Ten......don't look for WAC v. MAC champions there.........unless Big Ten doesn't qualify enough teams and then very doubtful that WAC champion would fill there.

as for SBC......their champion is locked into New Orleans......don't look for that to change in terms of contracts.....not saying that in some years their champion might end up somewhere else, but not contractually.......North Tx can only go there so many times........their situation is like MU's was in Motor City before the GMAC.

As I posted on the BeltBoard, looks like CUSA is solid for Fort Worth.

They will face TCU if available.

If TCU isn't available they will have a contract requiring them to take a team from another conference smile.gif

Look for Fort Worth to announce a new title sponsor, a company that sponsored a bowl that died last year.

Jeez, do we need to start a bowl game in Denton so we can be its host team when we are bowl elgible a la TCU and the Fort Worth bowl? blink.gif

Isn't this getting a bit ridiculous that some of these non BCS bowls cities have to depend on the "hometown team" to be host to keep the darn things solvent? sad.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Dang, now I really feel smart! I posted my prediction for Movie Gallery to be the new sponsor in another thread about 5 minutes ago and now I just read Mark's hint that I was right. Makes complete sense since they are breaking into the DFW market.

Seems that an ESPN guy replied to the post that's the subject of this thread. Couple of interesting Sun Belt and North Texas comments.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

here some comments from ESPN man, DShoe. He replied to my post on herdfans.com

as for SBC......their champion is locked into New Orleans......don't look for that to change in terms of contracts.....not saying that in some years their champion might end up somewhere else, but not contractually.......North Tx can only go there so many times........their situation is like MU's was in Motor City before the GMAC.

I like the comment "North Texas can only go there so many times"-----It appears he thinks we will continue to win the SBC (SunBelt).

SBC (Southwestern Bell) should sponser a SBC bowl.. the name fits.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66