I hate to be like this but where are all the

calvin

Calvin,

You love to be like this. You have been ever since conference play began. Guess what? Nobody cares. Other than showing the maturity of a five year old, has this thread accomplished anything other than killing our brain cells for its less than intelligent point? No. Why can't you accept the idea of differing opinions when it comes to the coaching staff? Are you a member of the Staff or have a personal stake in it? Unless it affects you personally, why do you feel compelled to constantly defend it or trash those who question it? The horse is dead, let it rest in peace.

Dickey has been here like 7 years now and is 10 games below .500. You may be a new fan but some of us have been around for awhile. It is not acceptable to lose to FAU and Baylor. ULM and Troy have both beat FAU, they are not the giant killers we all thought they were. Hawaii will not even have the 6 wins to make thier own bowl so that win is not nearly as spectacular as it was at the time. We should have beat them, it was poor preparation and execution (along with a slew of silly penalties and god awful special teams) that lost those games. There will be no apology from me (or anyone else I imagine) for getting angry about an 0-4 start. We should have won at least one of those. Winning out and winning the bowl will make up for it but the 0-4 start did incredible damage to our fan base and at a very volatile time. If you take a look at our attendance this year than you will see why a lot of us were pissed and quite frankly scared after that start. We finished last year 9-4 with a loss. We opened up this year 0-4 bringing out last ten game record to 5-5. That is fine, it is .500. But one of those losses was to a IAA school and the other was to a school that we beat by over 40 points last year.

Not sure what you want from this whole BS arguement but I am certainly not going to apologize for being mad about losing 5 games in a row, 2 of them to games that were penciled in as W's on most people's schedules.

Edited by stebo

Im not apoligizing for anything. I have said all along, although some of you overlook it, that I praise DD for the job he has done. But I will also critisize him for the job that he has not done, which is beat OOC teams. We expected to be 2-2, maybe even 3-1 with a lucky bounce. There is no reason to get out coached against FAU and Baylor. Now if this has happened once or twice over 5 or more years, i would not say anything, but it happens 3 or 4 times EVERY year. The play calling is something else that irks alot of us. Now, he has opened it up more this year, unfortunately we are losing our starting QB, so we will go right back to extremely conservative playcalling next season. Since we have PC and JT, it won't be so bad. But we cannot waste JQ's talent by never passing.

Since we are losing so much this offseason, we may have to keep Dickey a couple more years so he can recruit new talent. But I would still look into who would be available, and I expect DD to look for other jobs this year. I don't think DD should be fired, but if he leaves, it should be a mutual departure.

On the comment made about Marshall, Marshall was still 1-AA while we were 1-A and in the Big West. Look at where they are now. Yes, they have definetly passed us, which I think is embarrasing, looking at the competition in that area. OSU and WVU are the 2 most prominent teams in the area. Unlike UNT, however, Marshall has a deep passionate fanbase. They are 10X more passionate about UM than we are about UNT.

So, what excitement do you get out of this bi weekly thread?

Some of you really make me wonder. Since when did we become some major power house program that a 10-1 season is all that is acceptable...or that ever losing to FAU or a Baylor is unacceptable. If those are the standards that we have to live up to, then some of you might as well jump off this ship now, because you will sooner or later.

When we have a NEW 40K seat stadium and have 20K season ticket holders and are legitimately recruiting against UT and OU for players...and have all-staters at every position (including most backups), then we should have those expectations. I just think that some of you are way premature in your expectations and are setting yourself up for major disappointment....and you must be very irritating to our AD staff.

Why is it expected to beat Baylor? Sure they are in the Big 12, but they are a bottom feeder. WE only decimated them 52-17 the previuos year. And we are only supposed to be getting better. FAU is still a 1-AA team. Yes they are good, yes they will get better. But they are still a 1-AA team. We are supposed to be getting better, that loss is unacceptable. And the fact that we were outcoached makes it even worse. And can we please stop using the Facilities issue as the sole excuse for not being a powerhouse yet? I agree they are not the best. But that is something that you work around. USF didnt have a problem working around the fact that they didnt even have a home stadium when they moved to 1-A fb.

It is also being overlooked that alot of the people who are not fans of DD are some of the most devout UNT fans. so why do we assume they will jump ship, they have stuck it out so far.

Marshall is in another league, they have been successful since we where 1aa.

South Florida is in Florida a state that has way too few 1a programs for its size, and that is barely being fixed, I also forsee a down turn for USF, just like:

UCF, which is has two less wins than SMU... 0-9

UAB is on shaky, shaky ground, they are bleeding money, and they Bama wants them dead.

Troy is in our leage, and hasnt beat us, and is going to be staying home this bowl year, I cant say they have passed us yet.

good points Cerebus, i dont see how 4 teams that havent went to a bowl have passed us by and especially since one of them is 0-9.

This post has been edited by calvin on Nov 8 2004, 01:09 PM

To answer this question - They are ALL in conferences we could not get in to. I think that would suggest they have passed us by.

Why is it expected to beat Baylor?  Sure they are in the Big 12, but they are a bottom feeder.  WE only decimated them 52-17 the previuos year.  And we are only supposed to be getting better.  FAU is still a 1-AA team.  Yes they are good, yes they will get better. But they are still a 1-AA team.  We are supposed to be getting better, that loss is unacceptable.  And the fact that we were outcoached makes it even worse.  And can we please stop using the Facilities issue as the sole excuse for not being a powerhouse yet?  I agree they are not the best.  But that is something that you work around.  USF didnt have a problem working around the fact that they didnt even have a home stadium when they moved to 1-A fb.   

It is also being overlooked that alot of the people who are not fans of DD are some of the most devout UNT fans.  so why do we assume they will jump ship, they have stuck it out so far.

Jump ship or eventually run a great coach off...now which is preferable laugh.gif

Things are just not going to go perfect in a season...the mark of a great coach is to look at the team and see what needs to be done or additional teaching that must happen at the various points of weakness. Dickey has done everything that should be expected of a coach and we are on our way to our 3rd perfect season in conference play...what a coach and what a team.

Will there come a day when we SHOULD have the kinds of expectations and accountability that some of you have? Sure...I hope so. It is not now. We are not there yet. When we have more resources and more talent across the board and the depth of talent across the board, then it will be time.

The fact that some of us even have unrealistic expectations is BECAUSE OF DICKEY....he is the one that got us to where we are now...which was a heck of a lot better than we have EVER been before IMHO.

Why did you respond, I had a list of 5 threads I had the last word in. tongue.gif Who is going to run DD off, hasn't he been badmouthing the fans and facilities for years, from what I hear. I can understand slip ups and getting ofver them. But we did not slip up against Baylor, we were beating like a 1-AA team. We didn't even try to go for it on a 4th and 1 when there was no reason not to. FAU is still a 1-AA team. I don't call losing and being outcoached to them a slipup.

Since when did we become some major power house program that a 10-1 season is all that is acceptable...or that ever losing to FAU or a Baylor is unacceptable. If those are the standards that we have to live up to, then some of you might as well jump off this ship now, because you will sooner or later.

Wait, so I might as well jump ship because I was upset about the Baylor and FAU losses because I am a lesser fan that will anyway? Guess what, THIS fan was disgusted with those losses, and you would been too had you BEEN THERE to see them. But keeping talking down on those that were and didn't still go down on Dickey after the debacles were over. Our program had BETTER be to the point where we expect to beat FA freaking U and be upset if we don't. Good grief. This wasn't Florida State.

After the FAU and Baylor games I was upset at Dickey and I had every right to be. I won't go into why specifically, but they were legitimate football reasons and if you want to read them, do a search and have at it. I won't apologize for that, and it doesn't make me any less of a fan especially to someone that has barely been to any games this year, if any at all.

I guess you will tell me I'm a bad fan because I didn't spooge my pants over the 103.3 and 1310 interviews too right, even though you didn't hear those either? I'm sure that's what you and GTNT will tell me. Well if not being positive all the time makes me a bad fan, then going by those interviews, Dickey is a bad coach! It's all green, but as Wu-Tang says, it's ain't all good, and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out and being less than happy about it.

And this calling Dickey a "great" coach is amusing. If I am so lucky to become a head coach someday somewhere, I hope to GOD that I can be 7 years into the job, have a losing record, and still be referred to as "great" by the boosters of the school. That would be amazing.

I just don't get.

No one likes to loose. We took some bad losses this year (FAU, Baylor). We also had some mitigating factors (Smith's death, Cobbs injury, summer suspensions). Why is it so hard to accept those mitigating factors?

The only person on the anti-Dickey side who has ever made any sense is Rudy. Is stance that Dickey can't get us to the next level, seems to be the only rational argument being articulated by the anti-DD side.

Like I said next season will be the test, this season should have been. Sure we loose a QB, but our running game should be the best in school history.

Thank you for saying I have made a rational argument. However, I really don't feel I am anti-DD. I don't really feel there are many on this board who are. I think the major consensus is that IF DD can show us that he can win OOC and get us at least a little closer to the next level, fine, lets keep him. However, if he can't, then it is time to part ways. Right now, he is not proving that he can, and that is the general idea why we feel the school and DD should move on. We all want the best man for the job, the best man that can move us up.