SB at TAMU Commerce (4/16/24)

Two wins tomorrow at TAMU Commerce would be nice after a close loss to Oklahoma State and an embarrassing sweep to UAB puts us two games behind FAU for 1st in the conference. We are also back in a tie for 2nd with Tulsa (although we should hold the tiebreaker).

TAMU Commerce has only been D-I since 2022. The softball team has only been around since 2015. They are 7-36 this year and 0-15 in Southland Conference play. Not only do we hopefully win both games, but it'd be nice to see the bats take advantage of a lesser team and run rule at least one of the games. We have not seen that this year yet.

Hopefully the weather holds off. If you on that side of the Metroplex, the games start at 5 and 7.

image.png.66c7db1be14d0001783877116c6dc1d0.png

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 1

• Matt from A700 changed the title to SB at TAMU Commerce (4/16/24)

Nice 15-3 win in game 1. (run ruled after 5 innings)

Win for Wags......

Some great hitting.....Gamble with two homers.....freshman Maddie Conley with a bomb. Morgan Medford now hitting. 340...Lexi Cobb with three walks and a double.

But the hitting star....Cierra Simon. 3-4.....6 rbis. Had a triple, a double, then a homer. Had another at bat.....needing a single for a cycle. With her great speed.....thought she might bunt. But she swung away......and grounded to second.

Lots of subs got in. 

While their feed is all astroturf......I do like their stadium itself. Lots of chairback seats in the middle. 

On to game 2....Go Mean Green!!! Game 2 should start shortly after 7:30 I think....

Slow start in Game 2 but we end up winning that one 10-0 as well. This is an even better night than I was hoping for. Hope this gives a bid of confidence for the ladies heading into the Texas A&M game tomorrow. I HAVE EXTRA TICKETS TOMORROW IF ANYONE NEEDS SOME!!

Combined stats today for our team:

Medford: 2-5, 2B
Cobb: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI
Simon: 4-8, 2B, 3B, HR, 6 RBI
Smith: 1-7, RBI, BB
Gamble: 2-6, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB
Grahmann: 0-1
Rainey: 4-6, 2 2B
Truitt: 0-0, BB
Ibarra: 2-3, 2 2B
Donohoe: 0-1, RBI, BB
Moffitt: 0-3, BB
Nicholson: 1-5
Conley: 1-3, HR, 3 RBI, 2 BB
Epperson: 1-1, 2 RBI
Christensen: 1-2, 2B, 3 RBI

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Slow start in Game 2 but we end up winning that one 10-0 as well. This is an even better night than I was hoping for. Hope this gives a bid of confidence for the ladies heading into the Texas A&M game tomorrow. I HAVE EXTRA TICKETS TOMORROW IF ANYONE NEEDS SOME!!

Combined stats today for our team:

Medford: 2-5, 2B
Cobb: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI
Simon: 4-8, 2B, 3B, HR, 6 RBI
Smith: 1-7, RBI, BB
Gamble: 2-6, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB
Grahmann: 0-1
Rainey: 4-6, 2 2B
Truitt: 0-0, BB
Ibarra: 2-3, 2 2B
Donohoe: 0-1, RBI, BB
Moffitt: 0-3, BB
Nicholson: 1-5
Conley: 1-3, HR, 3 RBI, 2 BB
Epperson: 1-1, 2 RBI
Christensen: 1-2, 2B, 3 RBI

Great stat compilation. But can I add....Lexi Cobb drew 4 BBs in the two games. She's great at getting on via the walk. 

4 hours ago, SUMG said:

Great stat compilation. But can I add....Lexi Cobb drew 4 BBs in the two games. She's great at getting on via the walk. 

I am guessing she was injured early this year because she wasn't playing, but man, what a welcome addition to the lineup.  Besides her contributions noted above, she is probably our top, and most versatile outfielder.  A really strong four tool, speed, hitting, throwing and defense, player.

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I am guessing she was injured early this year because she wasn't playing, but man, what a welcome addition to the lineup.  Besides her contributions noted above, she is probably our top, and most versatile outfielder.  A really strong four tool, speed, hitting, throwing and defense, player.

She wasn't hurt. Just lost playing time....due to being in a really long slump. (I asked the injury question to one of our reporters). Glad she's out of it........she's one of my favorite players. I do wonder why Tatum Sparks didn't play at all last night. Hope she's available today. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You mention four tool....and that's right. She doesn't have the fifth tool....power. But last night, bless her heart...came really close to hitting a homer. Really close. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SUMG said:

She wasn't hurt. Just lost playing time....due to being in a really long slump. (I asked the injury question to one of our reporters). Glad she's out of it........she's one of my favorite players. I do wonder why Tatum Sparks didn't play at all last night. Hope she's available today. 

I've noticed Christensen has been out of the lineup more too.

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

I've noticed Christensen has been out of the lineup more too.

She played the second game last night and got beat up.  Got hit by a pitch on her lower leg in her first at bat, hit by a pitch in her "chest" in her second at bat and then took a foul ball while catching.  The second HBP was pretty funny.  DeLong and the trainer came out, the trainer and Christensen started grinning and DeLong walked away pretty quickly.  

She also had a double and 3 RBI's

That game could have been much worse for TAMU-Commerce as we left the bases loaded in the first three innings.