Nick Saban: 'Maybe This Doesn't Work Anymore'

Interesting Nick Saban quotes in this ESPN article:

I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me? Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.

So I'm saying to myself, 'Maybe this doesn't work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it's all about how much money can I make as a college player?' I'm not saying that's bad. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that's never been what we were all about, and it's not why we had success through the years. ...

People wanted assurances that I was going to be here for three or four years, and it became harder to make those assurances. But the thing I loved about coaching the most was the relationships that you had with players, and those things didn't seem to have the same meaning they once did.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39623503/how-alabama-moved-nick-saban-kalen-deboer-49-hours

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 5:04 PM, ColoradoEagle said:

Turning players into mercenaries probably is not the best development for college sports. 

The current state of college football/basketball being just a money-grab is having a negative impact on fans.   Why should I be a loyal fan of Mr. QB if he only cares about a paycheck and not my school?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

The current state of college football/basketball being just a money-grab is having a negative impact on fans.   Why should I be a loyal fan of Mr. QB if he only cares about a paycheck and not my school?

I think it's deeper than that. If you watch the Cowboys, I'm sure there are a few whose lifelong dream has been to play for the team, but most are just there to collect the biggest paycheck. What makes college sports worse currently is there's no contract. So while you can become a Dak fan or whatever, in college a player can show up for a few games, walk off the field midseason, and wait for December.

There are people like Tylor Perry who give their all to this school and eventually leave to pursue a higher profile and maybe that next step. I don't have an issue with that. But I'm not a fan of the players who 'job hop' using the portal. Not to be confused with kids who get to a school and truly don't care for it and are simply looking for a better situation.

Just typing it out, it's a complex situation, and I'm not really sure the answer. The power programs are upset that their younger bench players want to play, and smaller programs like ours are upset that they're basically being treated like a AA minor league team.