Scheduling

Often in the past our non-conference scheduling has been questioned on this board. I think it is worth pointing out that we have played the lowest number of quad 4 games in our conference thus far and even when we add the games against Rice and UTSA that still should be true. In fact, very few teams in the country have played 4 or less quad 4 games. 

DI Men's Basketball Rankings - NCAA Men's Basketball NET Rankings | NCAA.com

• Upvote 2

I find it hard to believe that we can't find 1 of the 75+ teams from the five major conferences (or six with the Big East) to come play us in Denton every year. But if that's the case, why aren't we at least trying to get some teams like Texas Southern, Texas State, Prairie View A&M, Tarleton, or Abilene Christian to come play us instead of Angelo State and LSU Shreveport. Those games should be wins and also draw a little more interest from our fans.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

I find it hard to believe that we can't find 1 of the 75+ teams from the five major conferences (or six with the Big East) to come play us in Denton every year. But if that's the case, why aren't we at least trying to get some teams like Texas Southern, Texas State, Prairie View A&M, Tarleton, or Abilene Christian to come play us instead of Angelo State and LSU Shreveport. Those games should be wins and also draw a little more interest from our fans.

I guess the idea is that Angelo State won't hurt our NET rankings or whatever, but Texas Southern/Prairie View would.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, NT80 said:

We should never play non-D1 schools in basketball, but we are.   Same for non-FBS schools in football.   We gain more valuable experience as a team playing a Northern Iowa than we ever do playing LSU-Shreveport or UNT-Dallas.

Ah the old self righteous attitude that other schools have against us…. Cool….. UT or TCU just shouldn’t play us….

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Scheduling discussion gets me sports horny, so here's a realistic dream schedule for nonconference 2024:

Tue, Nov. 5: @ Baylor
Sat, Nov. 9: vs. Tarleton (doubleheader with women)
Thu-Sun, Nov 14-17: Myrtle Beach Invitational
Three games; 2023 field featured Wichita State, College of Charleston, Saint Louis, Furman, Vermont, Coastal Carolina, Wyoming, Liberty
Wed, Nov. 20: @ UT Arlington
Sat, Nov. 23: vs. Texas State
Sun, Dec. 1: @ New Mexico (start of home-and-home)
Thu, Dec. 5: vs. Western Kentucky (start of home-and-home)
Sun, Dec. 8: @ LA Tech (start of home-and-home)
Thu, Dec. 12: vs. Boise State
Sat, Dec. 21: vs. Nevada

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 1

We need to keep going after series with MWC teams. Those teams have big win totals and are sometimes ranked. Yet they look beatable. It’s a different style of play I think we could match up well against. Give me some New Mexico Utah state San Diego state Boise Nevada and CSU. 

MWC and AAC play different styles to my untrained but observant eye. 

GMG

20 hours ago, NM Green said:

We need to keep going after series with MWC teams. Those teams have big win totals and are sometimes ranked. Yet they look beatable. It’s a different style of play I think we could match up well against. Give me some New Mexico Utah state San Diego state Boise Nevada and CSU. 

MWC and AAC play different styles to my untrained but observant eye. 

GMG

We should do a AAC-MWC challenge like the other conferences do. Use regular season standings from last year to pick the pairs.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2