SMU (1/25/24)

CMJ

8 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Again:   "It's all about finding the right coach and system, for whatever the sport,..."

Meaning of his post is that in the last 20 years we have gotten more recognition locally and nationally with our basketball program. Out of both sports, 90% of my best memories/moments have been from our basketball program. 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, NT80 said:

NO!  It's all about finding the right coach and system, for whatever the sport, and maintaining it.   The Grant and Ross system has been here 7 years.  Do you not recall the 5 years with Benford?   Football can become just as strong.

It can't. Success is UNT Footballs kryptonite. I've come to that conclusion over the years. The program is 112 years old and we have a losing record of suckage. We can't afford to consistently pay our top 30 football guys what the market dictates. Therefore, we will always be playing keep up. Simply put, it's too expensive to go where we want to go. Too many mouths to feed and not enough money to feed them. We're also battling UNTs football reputation as well as the campus culture. Also, the most meaningful game UNT football can ever even play in is the conference championship game, then the potato sack bowl brought to you by Advocare. Financially, it's ignorant to keep doing what we're doing. Not ignorant as the people know what they're doing. Bluntly put, it's stupid. And I don't know if they're stupid, if they like stupid decisions, or if they stupidly want to keep funding the way things have always been funded because they don't want to rustle feathers while they look for their "bigger" better paying job a la Wren Baker. Nevertheless, there's some stupid involved somewhere. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Build the culture. We have built the basketball culture we need to build the football culture, and I am cautiously excited about what Morris is doing this offseason. There is still that beast in south Texas but with a few pegs we go bowling and start steering the football program in a great direction. 

but this is bball tonight! We held serve and downed a pony. It’s fantastic! 
GMG

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, Big Z said:

Meaning of his post is that in the last 20 years we have gotten more recognition locally and nationally with our basketball program. Out of the both sports, 90% of my best memories/moments have bee. from our basketball program. 

Last 6 years, yes.  20?  No.  Football got recognition beating Arkansas and Heart of Dallas Bowl, but not enough sustained or consistent winning.  DD won but couldn't finish Bowls, same for Seth.  Basketball under Benford and Trilli was horrible for about 10 years just before Grant. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It can't. Success is UNT Footballs kryptonite. I've come to that conclusion over the years. The program is 112 years old and we have a losing record of suckage. We can't afford to consistently pay our top 30 football guys what the market dictates. Therefore, we will always be playing keep up. Simply put, it's too expensive to go where we want to go. Too many mouths to feed and not enough money to feed them. We're also battling UNTs football reputation as well as the campus culture. Also, the most meaningful game UNT football can ever even play in is the conference championship game, then the potato sack bowl brought to you by Advocare. Financially, it's ignorant to keep doing what we're doing. Not ignorant as the people know what they're doing. Bluntly put, it's stupid. And I don't know if they're stupid, if they like stupid decisions, or if they stupidly want to keep funding the way things have always been funded because they don't want to rustle feathers while they look for their "bigger" better paying job a la Wren Baker. Nevertheless, there's some stupid involved somewhere. 

Sorry, this is Texas, not Kansas.  Football is king and drives the bus....without it...you're UTA.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Last 6 years, yes.  20?  No.  Football got recognition beating Arkansas and Heart of Dallas Bowl, but not enough sustained or consistent winning.  DD won but couldn't finish Bowls, same for Seth.  Basketball under Benford and Trilli was horrible for about 10 years just before Grant. 

Hod bowl? No. Beating a bad UNLV team, even in a bowl game, with defensive football did not garner attention. 20ish G5 programs won a bowl last month. I watched some of them. Don't remember any of them. The opponent, Final score, or name of the bowl. Bowls are now meaningless, barely attended, and boring. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Hod bowl? No. Beating a bad UNLV team, even in a bowl game, with defensive football did not garner attention. 20ish G5 programs won a bowl last month. I watched some of them. Don't remember any of them. The opponent, Final score, or name of the bowl. Bowls are now meaningless, barely attended, and boring. 

Agree, too many Bowls with lame 6-6 teams in them.  Need fewer Bowls with 7-5 min records.  Upcoming 12-team CFP will further reduce visibility of G5 Bowls.  But NIT will likewise become harder for G5 teams to gain entry.  No more auto-entry at our level.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Sorry, this is Texas, not Kansas.  Football is king and drives the bus....without it...you're UTA.  

No. You're not understanding. We need it. You're right. We need it to exist. I agree with that. I disagree with the funding it gets. Would we even know if the funding dropped from 11M to 9.8M? What difference are we truly looking at? My bet is that we wouldn't even know it if we weren't told. I can tell you that extra 1.2M into basketball would make a gigantic difference. See what I'm saying? 

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, NT80 said:

NCAA tournament appearances, beating Purdue in the first round, conference championships, NIT championship, CBI championship. New conference and actually winning in it…

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 3

Just now, NT80 said:

Agree, too many Bowls with lame 6-6 teams in them.  Need fewer Bowls with 7-5 min records.  Upcoming 12-team CFP will further reduce visibility of G5 Bowls.  But NIT will likewise become harder for G5 teams to gain entry.  No more auto-entry at our level.

And you better believe with the collapse of conferences in football that little Cinderella ticket for the peasant is going to vanish as soon as they can get it to. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

I haven’t looked at the stats relative to other schools over the course of the last six or seven years, but missing free throws has been such a shocking frustration for an otherwise comepletely discipline team.  My expectations from the strip always seem too high I guess but we would really do well to build a better culture around FTs.  I do know we’ve been solid at times but we can be better. 

We were leading the conference in FT shooting entering the game. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I'd say in the last 20 basketball has more recognition.  More people nationally follow the NCAA Tournament than know who wins Bowl games outside of the big ones...and we had two other NCAA trips in the last 20 years.  So three trips, one win since 2007.

Trilli has been gone since 2001.  Johnny Jones had us compete well for a good stretch and we had some good teams.  Obviously he never won a NCAA Tourney game or the NIT, but he did have success.  We have banners hanging from his years.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

He’s not perfect but he tries. Almost a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. UNT is definitely not a good fit for him and he is definitely not a good fit for UNT. But he’s here, and I just don’t understand the disdain that some posters have for him. I stopped defending my favorite player Matt Stone, but now I feel like I have to defend Edwards. It’s odd. 

For supposedly coming from a basketball school in VA, this is a moronic post. 

• Upvote 3
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, NT80 said:

NO!  It's all about finding the right coach and system, for whatever the sport, and maintaining it.   The Grant and Ross system has been here 7 years.  Do you not recall the 5 years with Benford?   Football can become just as strong.

Have we ever had that in football?  Ever?  I would be fine with pouring more money into basketball than football but basketball is what is getting attention 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

I'd say in the last 20 basketball has more recognition.  More people nationally follow the NCAA Tournament than know who wins Bowl games outside of the big ones...and we had two other NCAA trips in the last 20 years.  So three trips, one win since 2007.

and Tony Mitchell got drafted in the second round 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

VA is 14-5. They're doing well. Don't they have a board? 

With posts like his, he probably got run off there like CougarQueen was run off UH’s. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No. You're not understanding. We need it. You're right. We need it to exist. I agree with that. I disagree with the funding it gets. Would we even know if the funding dropped from 11M to 9.8M? What difference are we truly looking at? My bet is that we wouldn't even know it if we weren't told. I can tell you that extra 1.2M into basketball would make a gigantic difference. See what I'm saying? 

Sorry, thought you were proposing dropping football.  Somebody was. 

So, why the extra $1.2mil for basketball?  What do we need that we don't have.  Yes, more is always better.  It can't be used for NIL currently.  

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, Big Z said:

NCAA tournament appearances, beating Purdue in the first round, conference championships, NIT championship, CBI championship. New conference and actually winning in it…

Yes, all in the past 6 years, and it's been the best era of NT basketball....but why?    Grant and Ross, the players they found and the system they coach.   Football needs to find their Grant!

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

38K people were in attendance for that game.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NT80 said:

Sorry, thought you were proposing dropping football.  Somebody was. 

So, why the extra $1.2mil for basketball?  What do we need that we don't have.  Yes, more is always better.  It can't be used for NIL currently.  

It could be used for many things,  but nothing is as imporyant as Recruiting. Recruiting. Recruiting. 

Every crack and crevice of the world. 

• Upvote 3