AAC Players Declaring Early for the Draft

Underclassmen? One senior who's been in college since 2019, a junior who's been a full time starter for 4 seasons, and a junior who's played a majority of games for 4 seasons. I know two are technically underclassmen by classification but they're not by experience.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Underclassmen? One senior who's been in college since 2019, a junior who's been a full time starter for 4 seasons, and a junior who's played a majority of games for 4 seasons. I know two are technically underclassmen by classification but they're not by experience.

Maybe “players entering the draft with remaining eligibility” would work?

• Haha 1

• UNTLifer changed the title to AAC Players Declaring Early for the Draft
23 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This did make me realize though that Michael Pratt took over the starting job week 3 of his true freshman year. Just something to think about as we obsess about landing a transfer who's been a backup his entire college career.

Yes it is all crap shoot for QB.  The physical tools only go so far at the position of quarterback.  Landing transfers on the defensive side of the ball at this point is far more important.  Because right now we know for certain a few players that already had experience when Caponi got here just won’t be able to cut it in his scheme.  But I think his scheme is garbage, but that doesn’t matter because they chose to roll with him at DC.  If we can get a quarterback of defense that is successful, that is a one year rental like our QB was, that arguably could make a bigger impact than Rogers did.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Yes it is all crap shoot for QB.  The physical tools only go so far at the position of quarterback.  Landing transfers on the defensive side of the ball at this point is far more important.  Because right now we know for certain a few players that already had experience when Caponi got here just won’t be able to cut it in his scheme.  But I think his scheme is garbage, but that doesn’t matter because they chose to roll with him at DC.  If we can get a quarterback of defense that is successful, that is a one year rental like our QB was, that arguably could make a bigger impact than Rogers did.

You know, the whole DC and QB talk is funny to me because it reminds me of the same discussions that were had when Aune was here. If we could just have some long, time crunching scoring drives, it would do wonders. In other words, the best thing we can do is keep our defense off the field. Scoring is great. Scoring fast is scary because it gives the other team the ball back.

• Upvote 2

On 1/3/2024 at 1:15 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

You know, the whole DC and QB talk is funny to me because it reminds me of the same discussions that were had when Aune was here. If we could just have some long, time crunching scoring drives, it would do wonders. In other words, the best thing we can do is keep our defense off the field. Scoring is great. Scoring fast is scary because it gives the other team the ball back.

Yes I love watching big play, “let it fly” offenses but not so much for my team because our program has never shown it could have that type of offense and good defense to go with it.  The Murphy Twins defense with Mason at his peak here is as close as we got.  Mason could not stay healthy and I may be wrong but it seems like having all 3 of them healthy was rare.