If Morris beats Navy will you forgive his past sins?

GMG_Dallas

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

I think some of you are just setting yourselves up to get upset game after game this year. They may go 4 down linemen at times or maybe even most of the time tomorrow, but this staff has proven they’re committed to the 3-3-5. It’s going to pop back up. This is your warning post.

I'm used to it. Like others, I gripped for a while about how Littrell needed to be fired. Some things are just obvious. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

I have a hard time believing otherwise. Craponi/ Morris will live and die by the 3-3-5 this year

Is there precedence anywhere, at any school, for a DC to change philosophies mid-season?

There's adaptation, tweaks and adjustments, but completely abandoning your career bread-and-butter - mid season! - for an approach (that one probably has entry level understanding of) would IIRC be completely knew to me.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Of course his sins would be forgiven. He already atoned for his offensive wrongdoing. But, the only way UNT beats Navy tomorrow is if Morris runs a 4-down linemen front for the majority of the game, which he has yet to commit to doing.

Side.Show:  I’ve watched all the games so far this year and it seems to me that UNT running either a 4 or a 3 down scheme hasn’t done any good. Everyone seems to run right through or around the defense either way.  

5 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

I have a hard time believing otherwise. Craponi/ Morris will live and die by the 3-3-5 this year

watch it pro hockey GIF by Red Bull
Around 15:20 remaining in the podcast: “…with the new front we are putting in…” 

https://meangreensports.com/podcasts/mean-green-coachs-show-the-podcast-eric-morris-ayo-adeyi-nick-nakwaasah-erik-stevens-aditi-silwal-/112

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, cogido said:

Side.Show:  I’ve watched all the games so far this year and it seems to me that UNT running either a 4 or a 3 down scheme hasn’t done any good. Everyone seems to run right through or around the defense either way.  

I've watched us play every game too. Not all of the 4-man fronts we run are equal. Morris tends to lump them together when comparing them against our 3-man fronts. But, when we run a 4-down lineman front we are a more successful defense. We also run a 4-man front with two down linemen and two standing ends (that are too light and get drove back on run plays). That front gets beat just like the 3-man front. You can go back and watch the tape. It's all right there. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I've watched us play every game too. Not all of the 4-man fronts we run are equal. Morris tends to lump them together when comparing them against our 3-man fronts. But, when we run a 4-down lineman front we are a more successful defense. We also run a 4-man front with two down linemen and two standing ends (that are too light and get drove back on run plays). That front gets beat just like the 3-man front. You can go back and watch the tape. It's all right there. 

This is what I’ve seen also. His 4-down line equates to a OLB/DE on the edge. While it gives the look, it doesn’t have the same functionality. You can’t replace 280-300lbs. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Definitely looked like they mixed it up for Navy, but they just aren’t very good. 

Yeah, they mixed it up by using an antiquated 50 defense, which still features a 3-down linemen front. So we lost.

Sure offense played a major part in this loss (O-line gave up too many sacks, Rogers didn't recognize or adjust for the blitz, .....), but defense is still a liability, and statistically still the worst run defense & scoring defense in all of the FBS. Someone needs to be held accountable for this mess. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Yeah, they mixed it up by using an antiquated 50 defense, which still features a 3-down linemen front. So we lost.

Sure offense played a major part in this loss (O-line gave up too many sacks, Rogers didn't recognize or adjust for the blitz, .....), but defense is still a liability, and statistically still the worst run defense & scoring defense in all of the FBS. Someone needs to be held accountable for this mess. 

The defense showed a bunch of different looks and held Navy to 27 points which is better than you and most others were expecting. Is it that hard for you to admit they did enough for us to win? 
This loss is on the offense. Not being able to score from inside the one, Cleveland dropping an easy TD catch, and the 2 turnovers hurt us way more than the defense’s performance. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

The defense showed a bunch of different looks and held Navy to 27 points which is way better than you and most others were expecting. Is it that hard for you to admit they did enough for us to win? 
This loss is on the offense. Not being able to score from inside the one, Cleveland dropping an easy TD catch, and the 2 turnovers hurt us way more than the defense’s performance. 

Navy's slow time-consuming ground game, uncharacteristic penalties, and bad passing held Navy to 27 points. Did you watch the highlights? Navy ran over us, and when they took shots, they found open receivers down field.

Please tell me how many 4-down linemen fronts you see us running in these highlights?

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Eye Roll 2

19 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

The defense showed a bunch of different looks and held Navy to 27 points which is better than you and most others were expecting. Is it that hard for you to admit they did enough for us to win? 

A bunch of different looks? Uhhh... 

I will agree to the defense playing better than I expected, but I expected an average FCS defense. Instead, we got a very bad FBS defense. Which, to your point, is improvement.