Washington State president hoping to rebuild Pac-12 with Stanford and Cal, possibly expand in future

The Pac-12 has found themselves down to just four programs, but unfortunately for two of those programs they do not have as much autonomy over their future as the others.

Stanford and Cal in a sense have the "upper-hand" of the remaining four programs being that they actually have a future trending towards being in a Power 4 conference. However, just because things are trending in that direction doesn't mean they are a certainty. The two Bay Area schools need one more vote to gain approval to join the ACC, and while momentum was working in their favor as of Monday when a vote was supposed to occur there was a horrific mass shooting at North Carolina's campus that led to the postponement of the vote out of respect. 

While football and realignment is the least important thing with such a tragedy occurring, Stanford and Cal are now really pressed for time as ESPN's Pete Thamel provided a deadline of Week 1 for this move to happen. It was also reported earlier on Tuesday that the call hasn't been rescheduled, again out of respect, but that there hasn't been a necessary flip. 

read more: https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/washington-state-president-hoping-to-rebuild-pac-12-with-stanford-and-cal-possibly-expand-in-future

• Puking Eagle 1

Just now, Jason Howeth said:

Even if Wazzu and Oregon St. rebuild, the Pac-whatever will certainly lose its power status anyway. doesn't matter if they add the best programs from MWC and AAC.

Wheeth. Honestly I don't see how they pull any AAC schools unless the ACC thing falls apart for SMU (and maybe also Calford). They could merge with the AAC, but I just don't see them able to raid it. If those three do indeed get into the ACC, then the Pac2 can only get MWC schools. And even about that I would be somewhat skeptical, given that anybody coming in has to pay exit fees in order to join those two schools by themselves with no bigger brands to carry the load.

24 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I know this is being nitpicky, but I've never heard of shooting one person called a "mass shooting."

Agree.  He was specifically targeting his faculty advisor, one person.  Someone he knew and was mad at, not random strangers.  The media is quick to label anything on a campus as a mass shooting attempt.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Agree.  He was specifically targeting his faculty advisor, one person.  Someone he knew and was mad at, not random strangers.  The media is quick to label anything on a campus as a mass shooting attempt.

Come on. Yes, let's blame the MEDIA for the amount of real mass shootings. Murdering someone in public space is pretty mass and does traumatize people that were in hiding for hours and had to be building by building cleared with their hands up and police with guns drawn.  This wasn't some killing of the adviser at his house in the suburb that ONE person is calling a mass shooting.  I give some freedom with this one, because it did disrupt a campus of 32,000 for a day+. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Come on. Yes, let's blame the MEDIA for the amount of real mass shootings. Murdering someone in public space is pretty mass and does traumatize people that were in hiding for hours and had to be building by building cleared with their hands up and police with guns drawn.  This wasn't some killing of the adviser at his house in the suburb that ONE person is calling a mass shooting.  I give some freedom with this one, because it did disrupt a campus of 32,000 for a day+. 

Not blaming the media for the event, but the label is wrong.  It affected a mass of people but it was NOT a mass shooting...big difference!

• Upvote 2