Oregon State, Washington State not expected to decide conference fate until post Labor Day -

12 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

They do seem to be heading in a direction where they are willing to invest, but time will tell how much and the results. It might come down to how much, if at all, a footprint in Texas means to the MWC.

If TV folks believe they can gain audience in DFW, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston not just for the local team's games but get that audience to watch Oregon State at Nevada because it's a conference game then there are deals to be made.

The question is are the deals large enough to convince the members to put up with the hassles.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

They do seem to be heading in a direction where they are willing to invest, but time will tell how much and the results. It might come down to how much, if at all, a footprint in Texas means to the MWC.

I think the AAC would love to add TXST if they show improvement the next couple years. Only thing holding them back is their pathetic on-field performance. Since moving to FBS in 2012, they've only had one winning season (2014). Their record since 2014 is 23-73 and haven't won more than 4 games in a season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

48 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

It's gut check time for Washington State and Oregon State fans.

Pullman is so freaking remote, I'm not sure it has a huge impact. They are 4 1/2 hours from any major pro team, yeah 8 miles to Idaho who is now FCS and 90 minutes to Gonzaga the nearest highly successful athletic program. Not sure that fans don't just go ahead and show up because there's nothing else to do.

It is remote and nothing to do, no major cities nearby so the whole town shows up, like Lubbock, but with trees.

• Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Realignment has two streams.

Make us better. There is cold calculation done and no one is in a hurry. The numbers get crunched and everyone looks at what the added team(s) do to their expenses and compare that to what it does to the revenue stream. ACC has been toying with going after Pac-12 schools since the USC and UCLA announcement and even then struggled to get to a 3/4ths vote because the headache and expense vs revenue differential didn't make it a no-brainer.

Survival. Weird stuff happens when a conference goes into survival mode. CUSA presidents get together to debate UNT vs UNT+FIU and come out with six new members. Sun Belt authorizes a committee to issue binding invites thinking they will be talking to WAC schools who are in crisis and instead the committee invites Georgia State. Big East presidents get together and invite Tulane without consulting the AD's who find out and throw fits and show the presidents photos of the facilities the school they just admitted helping fuel the Catholic schism that broke the league.

So, did I hear correct that the Sun Belt made schools sign over their Grant of Rights?   For how long?  That is surprising if so, with so much angst in the ACC over that issue.  I understand the need for security of the league but as we see in the ACC it keeps schools captive (and unhappy) when the environment changes and other opportunity appears. 

Edited by NT80

7 hours ago, NT80 said:

So, did I hear correct that the Sun Belt made schools sign over their Grant of Rights?   For how long?  That is surprising if so, with so much angst in the ACC over that issue.  I understand the need for security of the league but as we see in the ACC it keeps schools captive (and unhappy) when the environment changes and other opportunity appears. 

CUSA did. Sun Belt has not.

3 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

CUSA did. Sun Belt has not.

Why would CUSA schools lock themselves into a binding GOR membership at that level when conference movements are still so fluid?  I agree it's another reason the Pac imploded by not having it, but it is also why ACC schools hate it.  

Edited by NT80

On 9/8/2023 at 7:40 PM, NT80 said:

Why would CUSA schools lock themselves into a binding GOR membership at that level when conference movements are still so fluid?  I agree it's another reason the Pac imploded by not having it, but it is also why ACC schools hate it.  

Think network wanted some assurances before bumping their money.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

WSU, OSU anticipate fuller Pac-12 picture within next month

"The leadership at Washington State and Oregon State believe they will have information within the next month to evaluate whether it makes sense to rebuild under the Pac-12 brand while also proceeding with a legal case to take control of the future direction of the conference......

In the meantime, the leaders of the two schools say it's vital to get a clear picture of where the conference stands right now -- with its revenues, assets and perhaps most important its liabilities -- to determine whether it's viable for the schools to move forward as a Pac-2 and start the process of rebuilding under the conference umbrella."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/38456400/wsu-osu-anticipate-fuller-pac-12-picture-next-month

45 minutes ago, NT80 said:

WSU, OSU anticipate fuller Pac-12 picture within next month

"The leadership at Washington State and Oregon State believe they will have information within the next month to evaluate whether it makes sense to rebuild under the Pac-12 brand while also proceeding with a legal case to take control of the future direction of the conference......

In the meantime, the leaders of the two schools say it's vital to get a clear picture of where the conference stands right now -- with its revenues, assets and perhaps most important its liabilities -- to determine whether it's viable for the schools to move forward as a Pac-2 and start the process of rebuilding under the conference umbrella."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/38456400/wsu-osu-anticipate-fuller-pac-12-picture-next-month

Watch those douchebags on Mockingbird try the PAC 12 again, saying the ACC was just their fallback crutch. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Watch those douchebags on Mockingbird try the PAC 12 again, saying the ACC was just their fallback crutch. 

I bet they had to sign away their Grant of Media Rights to the ACC at some point.  I think they were a package deal too with Cal and Stanford.  The ACC would file suit. 

9 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I bet they had to sign away their Grant of Media Rights to the ACC at some point.  I think they were a package deal too with Cal and Stanford.  The ACC would file suit. 

If PAC12 is looking for DFW market and SMU stays the ACC course then our admin should at least pursue a conversation with key stakeholders.  Especially if the media rights deal is significantly more than the AAC.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, BFraz said:

If PAC12 is looking for DFW market and SMU stays the ACC course then our admin should at least pursue a conversation with key stakeholders.  Especially if the media rights deal is significantly more than the AAC.

I think the MWC Commish is going to try and move her whole Conference under the PAC brand, just to get them all P5 patches. 

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

I think the MWC Commish is going to try and move her whole Conference under the PAC brand, just to get them all P5 patches. 

Totally agree.  I’ll be curious to see how many teams the conference ends up with.  It’ll be 14 with the merge, but do they add 2-6 more teams and if they do, which markets enhance the media package.

• Pissed 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It seems the last two standing want to make sure everyone leaving is responsible for the debts, but only they have access to the remaining funds. I am also interested in how their "alliance" with the MWC works. Not understanding all the details, it seems the MWC is throwing them a lifeline. Hopefully, the MWC will be benefiting financially also.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Washington supreme court declines to review Pac-12 appeal

"It is unclear what immediate steps OSU and WSU will take now that the departing 10 universities have seemingly exhausted their legal remedies.

In a Whitman County courthouse last month, an attorney working on behalf of Washington, Dan Levin, raised the possibility that the departing schools could attempt to dissolve the conference."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39121069/washington-supreme-court-declines-review-pac-12-appeal

Oregon State, Washington State near agreement to join West Coast Conference as affiliate members, sources say

Oregon State and Washington State are nearing an agreement to join the West Coast Conference as affiliate members next year in multiple sports, most notably men's and women's basketball, sources told ESPN, confirming multiple reports.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39156187/oregon-state-washington-state-agreement-join-west-coast-conference-affiliate-members-sources-say

Oregon State, Washington State settle with departing Pac-12 schools

As part of the agreement, the 10 departing schools will forfeit an undisclosed portion of revenue distributions over the rest of the 2023-24 school year and have provided "specific guarantees against potential future liabilities."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39164107/oregon-state-washington-state-settle-departing-pac-12-schools

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...