Introducing DATCU Stadium | UNT Athletics

4 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Why would they announce that today…before the unveiling tomorrow?

No more anticipation. This info has been semi-released for a while which tells me the numbers aren't as good as hoped. At least not good enough to make up for the lack of brand appeal. Softens the blow a bit as opposed to a big unveiling for nada.

Edit: the below information is wrong. I read it wrong. Should have been focusing on work but I was distracted and as a result I'm wrong.

Others on the board have compared this move to Houston's TDECU naming rights deal while leaving out that TDECU has $4.7 billion in assets, or more than 3 times as much as DATCU. Houston's deal was for $128 million for naming rights plus a plan for TDECU to invest $20 million in the university over the following 10 years. Mind you, this was in 2014 while Houston was in the AAC as we are now and it was the largest naming rights deal at the time. I doubt we'll be anywhere close despite also being a large public university in a large metropolitan area competing in the AAC.

I'll gladly be proven wrong when they release numbers.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 3

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Incorrect sir.  The numbers and time frame of the deal look great.  More to come on that.  Please remember,  are not in a great economy right now and just a year or two out of a once in a lifetime pandemic.  There are not a ton of naming rights deals popping up these days.  As negative as our fanbase can tend to be at times there is no way to spin this down.  GMG

Are we getting softened up? 

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Incorrect sir.  The numbers and time frame of the deal look great.  More to come on that.  Please remember,  are not in a great economy right now and just a year or two out of a once in a lifetime pandemic.  There are not a ton of naming rights deals popping up these days.  As negative as our fanbase can tend to be at times there is no way to spin this down.  GMG

As I said, I'll gladly be proven wrong. Colorado State got $37.7 million for 15 years in 2018 in a naming rights deal with a credit union. Like you said, the current economy is different than it was then but I hope we can have numbers around what CSU got or better. I know Houston's numbers are unreasonable in this economy but we're also in one of the largest markets in the country. That has to count for something.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Houston's deal was for $128 million for naming rights plus a plan for TDECU to invest $20 million in the university over the following 10 years. Mind you, this was in 2014 while Houston was in the AAC as we are now and it was the largest naming rights deal at the time. I doubt we'll be anywhere close despite also being a large public university in a large metropolitan area competing in the AAC.

I'll gladly be proven wrong when they release numbers.

Wrong. 

University of Houston, TDECU Announce Stadium Naming Rights Agreement - University of Houston (uh.edu)

TDECU Stadium will include a TDECU suite located on the 50-yard line, one of 26 sold-out suites in the facility, as well as ticket discounts for TDECU employees and members. A 10-year, $15-million commitment from TDECU secures the naming rights with the University of Houston through June 16, 2024.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Wrong. 

University of Houston, TDECU Announce Stadium Naming Rights Agreement - University of Houston (uh.edu)

TDECU Stadium will include a TDECU suite located on the 50-yard line, one of 26 sold-out suites in the facility, as well as ticket discounts for TDECU employees and members. A 10-year, $15-million commitment from TDECU secures the naming rights with the University of Houston through June 16, 2024.

Correct. I terribly misread that. Best to focus on work when at work. Thanks for the correction.

• Upvote 1