Coach Ross Hodge: Is he...

46 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

if UNT made the Sweet 16, I think Hodge and the coaching staff would be poached by other programs rather quickly.    

It's going to take more than that. Look at Dusty May, Shaka Smart at VCU, and Brad Stevens at Butler. May is still at FAU after a F4 appearance. Smart and Stevens took years of success to get hired away. Regardless, a good problem to have.

• Upvote 6

52 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

if UNT made the Sweet 16, I think Hodge and the coaching staff would be poached by other programs rather quickly.    

Think that would depend on if/when it happens and what the program support looks like. New arena, facilities, and good attendance? I could see him staying. We’ll see. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It's going to take more than that. Look at Dusty May, Shaka Smart at VCU, and Brad Stevens at Butler. May is still at FAU after a F4 appearance. Smart and Stevens took years of success to get hired away. Regardless, a good problem to have.

I think one more year of success at FAU and May will be gone.  The F4 was so out of the blue, I think people want to see if it was a fluke.  He also may be a little bit picky about where he wants to go.

Whatever is at play, it's highly unlikely that May is staying there as a long-term career choice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

That's not really about whether or not we are backing him.  It's about whether or not we have the resources to match the potential poachers.

• Upvote 4

UNT does not have the best track record when it comes to paying for coaches, a sweet 16 caliber coach (and staff) comes at a price, I just dont know that the university is ready to go there. 

Dusty May going to be moving, its just a matter of timing.  The good programs making a change already have their next coaches in place by the time the final four happens. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, MrAlien said:

UNT does not have the best track record when it comes to paying for coaches, a sweet 16 caliber coach (and staff) comes at a price, I just dont know that the university is ready to go there. 

Dusty May going to be moving, its just a matter of timing.  The good programs making a change already have their next coaches in place by the time the final four happens. 

With all due respect I feel like you are hnder our program.

• Confused 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

On 7/29/2023 at 9:59 AM, GMG_Dallas said:

Yes and for the first time we have the strength of OOC schedule, strength of conference, and recognition with the NIT championship needed to get an at-large bid which, should we take advantage, will give us the opportunity to keep elevating. Exciting times.

I know the TBT is mostly filler sports programming for ESPN during the summer, but those guys continuing to advance will only raise our brand awareness as well.

• Upvote 6

On 7/30/2023 at 5:06 PM, HoosMeanGreen said:

Gosh I hate being the new guy ... no idea what you meant or are trying to say. 😔 

A fellow poster "under our program"?

A fellow poster "a hinder [to] our program"??  

Peoples here no be smart 

• Haha 5

On 7/30/2023 at 1:19 PM, Jonnyeagle said:

Are you saying Ross Hodge is not the guy or what?

Of course he is the guy, in fact I think he deserves a lot of credit for some of the success that this team has had.  My point is, should this team reach the Sweet 16, its going to be very hard to keep him.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

Of course he is the guy, in fact I think he deserves a lot of credit for some of the success that this team has had.  My point is, should this team reach the Sweet 16, its going to be very hard to keep him.  

Thanks Alien.  I was really hoping for people's thoughts on the state of the program, specifically if this is our best chance at a S16.

Posting about whether or not we are going to be able to keep him, when we haven't even started Season 1 with him, is waaaaay off my radar right now.  Not how I thought this could be derailed.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

S16 appearances are sometimes off the basis of matchups. I think we have talent and good coaching. All I ask for as we head to a new conference, a pretty savvy basketball conference, is that we maintain our competitiveness while continuing our march to relevance. 

Well Bleed Green is certaInly doing their part.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:28 AM, greenminer said:

Thanks Alien.  I was really hoping for people's thoughts on the state of the program, specifically if this is our best chance at a S16.

Posting about whether or not we are going to be able to keep him, when we haven't even started Season 1 with him, is waaaaay off my radar right now.  Not how I thought this could be derailed.

So far I think he has done well recruiting, on paper this is a very strong team.  We know he can coach the defensive side of the ball, its been said he was the architect of the defense under Mac.  Assuming he can get the players to buy into his system then I think this team could be tournament bound in March.

Getting to the Sweet 16... The AAC should be a multi bid conference, and the lowest seeded team would probably be a 12 seed at worst.  Which means the match ups should be winnable in the first 2 rounds, so very possible that UNT could reach the Sweet 16.