Commits and Cautious Optimism

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Sorry, fairy stupid reply. A lot of us were taught to honor commitments. Kids can change their minds, but a lot of 17/18-year-olds honor the commitments they make.

A lot of you were not D1 athletes, being manipulated by NIL promises.  A lot of promises and NIL "commitments", mind you, made by "grown men" who won't follow through either.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I would agree, but they always say they are committed when announcing their choice.  

The part that irritates me is that they are “100% committed.”  Just seems like an emphasis to show that they are all in, when in reality they’re probably not.

But at the same time, I get it.  They’re 17-18 year olds who are being heavily pressured into making the most important decisions of their lives to date.  

Here is the thing. They are 16-18 year olds. I had two gfs at one point when I was that age because I had trouble making up my mind. But we get upset at the same age kids for not being able to make a 40 year desicsion and stick to guns when you have grown adults throwing out money and negative recruiting. Not to mention HS coaches and families getting involved. I truly think that a very high percentage of these kids are 110% committed when they commit. But things change. Its not because coaches stopped recruiting. This staff has landed commitments from 4 of the top 10 highest ranked recruits in North Texas history (Ratings Era). 2 have signed. 2 have committed. This staff is working there butts off and what they have done so far has been impressive. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I had two gfs at one point when I was that age…

Humble brag?🤣

7 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This staff has landed commitments from 4 of the top 10 highest ranked recruits in North Texas history (Ratings Era). 2 have signed. 2 have committed. This staff is working there butts off and what they have done so far has been impressive. 

This can’t be stressed enough.

• Upvote 2

Commits from quality high school players are great.  This new coaching staff has really made impressive connections.  But because they are quality athletes there seems to be more drama now to keeping them committed and not poached.

To me, the portal offers less drama, and a defined commitment rather than a verbal commitment.  Also, a possibly more mature athlete who has already been exposed to college life, academics, being away from home, time management, etc.

9 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Commits from quality high school players are great.  This new coaching staff has really made impressive connections.  But because they are quality athletes there seems to be more drama now to keeping them committed and not poached.

To me, the portal offers less drama, and a defined commitment rather than a verbal commitment.  Also, a possibly more mature athlete who has already been exposed to college life, academics, being away from home, time management, etc.

We just lost two portal guys less than a month ago. Both had reasons. But portals aren’t home runs.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

We just lost two portal guys less than a month ago. Both had reasons. But portals aren’t home runs.

My issue with some of these portal guys is that they don’t always see success prior to entering the portal, but rather they are looking for a fresh beginning to jumpstart their career. Not all, but some. 

29 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

How did we lose them?   Were they not playing and just left the program?   Some portal guys will be busts, the same as some high school recruits.   Neither are always home runs, but portal guys have fewer ways to get taken away by another program.

A lot of quality commits -even if there is a chance they will not all stick - sure beats radio silence on the recruitment front. Its like a farmer seeing his crops grow well a month before harvesting season. A lot may go wrong until the harvest, but good growth in the early stages is a precondition for a great harvest later on.

At this point in time you can't do better than to get them to publicly express their preferential interest in UNT over other schools. It may not be a ginormous win yet, but be happy you have it, cause the alternative sucks much worse.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

How did we lose them?   Were they not playing and just left the program?   Some portal guys will be busts, the same as some high school recruits.   Neither are always home runs, but portal guys have fewer ways to get taken away by another program.

Transfers are non binding until they step on campus, both signed and left before they got on campus

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Here is the thing. They are 16-18 year olds. I had two gfs at one point when I was that age because I had trouble making up my mind. But we get upset at the same age kids for not being able to make a 40 year desicsion and stick to guns when you have grown adults throwing out money and negative recruiting. Not to mention HS coaches and families getting involved. I truly think that a very high percentage of these kids are 110% committed when they commit. But things change. Its not because coaches stopped recruiting. This staff has landed commitments from 4 of the top 10 highest ranked recruits in North Texas history (Ratings Era). 2 have signed. 2 have committed. This staff is working there butts off and what they have done so far has been impressive. 

What makes it a 40 year decision? They're only in college 4-5 years. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The college you choose… the degree you choose.. will have an effect on the career you work for the next 40 years. 

A lot of college players aren’t thinking about that when they commit. And most employers don’t give AF where your degree is from. It’s mostly about relations with coaches, playing time, and now NIL. And like you said, guys can transfer whenever they want now. There’s less and less school loyalty in today’s game. I agree with your overall point, but saying it’s a 40 year decision is a little hyperbolic. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The college you choose… the degree you choose.. will have an effect on the career you work for the next 40 years. 

It seems many of these kids are, in reality, looking at a 1-2 year decision. Get what you can, and then renegotiate/transfer and work on a new deal if things work out. And that is their choice to make, but let's not act like many of these calls are long-term planning decisions.

P.S. I understand why the money (real or not) can be hard to pass up but look at how many professionals end up without much based on decisions made for the short term. Hopefully, someone who has influence can help these kids ensure they get their degrees because it doesn't seem like the NCAA or the Universities care as much anymore about the student part of Student-Athlete.

• Upvote 2