Not really a huge splurge, but I enjoy Four Roses Single Barrel.

Daily go to is Evan Williams black label.  It's hard to beat for the price/quality.

Don't have a favorite Texas brand, but have tried and like the stuff from FR (TX) and Witherspoon.

• Upvote 1

Four Roses yellow is about as solid a classic sipping bourbon one can get for sub $30.

Jim Beam and Old Grandad, and while not officially bourbon, Mellow Corn, are three classic, quality low-end dive bar whiskies...ideal side-cars for a Shiner or High Life

moving into the $50/bottle range (which really should be max range one is paying for bourbon in the 80-90 proof range), I love all things Michter's, Willett, Old Forester and Weller. 

false scarcity is a major issue in the whiskey world these days...it's not a knock on the juice itself, but Blanton's, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are all never worth the price you can find them at these days. again, save for it being a special release from a local distillery or some-such, you really shouldn't be paying more than $50-ish for a 750mL under 100 proof. 

my personal preference these days when splurging is to drop $75-100-ish on a barrel-proof bottle...something usually in the 120-130 proof range. while there are people who have trained their palates to enjoy whiskey at such proofs (I'm not one), I prefer to add water to step the proof down into the 100-ish range (it's a simple calculation, but there are also online calculators). you're ostensibly buying whiskey concentrate so one ends up with over a liter of whiskey from a 750mL...plus if you're meticulous enough you can find the ideal spot you like said bourbon...adding water to try it at say 90, 95, 100, 110 proof and seeing what notes shine through and where the alcohol content is pleasing on the tongue

• Upvote 1

1. Bib & Tucker 6-Year Bourbon Small Batch
  2. Eagle Rare Bourbon  - When I can find it cheap; John has found this in Georgia for under $40. 
  3. Redemption Wheated Bourbon

These are my top three. 

My favorite Texas is TX Blended Whiskey (I believe it's Texas made). I read it's mostly bourbon, but it is my favorite offering from Firestone & Robertson Distilling Co.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

What are your favorites and why?

What is your "splurge" bourbon?

What is your "daily" bourbon?  (Daily meaning your go to that isn't a splurge)

Do you have a favorite local/Texas brand?

1.  Maker’s Mark.  Just enjoy it, no special reason  

2.  I have never really splurged. I have a hard time justifying dropping over $50 a bottle when there are a number that a good for less. 

3.  Jim Beam or Evan Williams. 

4.  I know these aren’t officially bourbons. I like Balcones out of Waco. Their Baby Blue, Pot Stilled and Lineage. I also like TX by Firestone and Robertson. I’ve never had Garrison Brothers, can’t see spending what they want, but would like to try it. Has anyone tried Blackland out of Fort Worth, Bendt out of Lewisville or any of the Milan and Greene whiskeys?

I have any unofficial hobby of trying and supporting Texas craft distillers. I have enjoyed the Iron City Potato Vodka out of Llano Craft Distillery. Really nice people that run that place as well. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

1.  Maker’s Mark.  Just enjoy it, no special reason  

2.  I have never really splurged. I have a hard time justifying dropping over $50 a bottle when there are a number that a good for less. 

3.  Jim Beam or Evan Williams. 

4.  I know these aren’t officially bourbons. I like Balcones out of Waco. Their Baby Blue, Pot Stilled and Lineage. I also like TX by Firestone and Robertson. I’ve never had Garrison Brothers, can’t see spending what they want, but would like to try it. Has anyone tried Blackland out of Fort Worth, Bendt out of Lewisville or any of the Milan and Greene whiskeys?

I have any unofficial hobby of trying and supporting Texas craft distillers. I have enjoyed the Iron City Potato Vodka out of Llano Craft Distillery. Really nice people that run that place as well. 

the Pot Stilled is a bourbon (Baby Blue a corn whiskey, Lineage an American Single Malt). if you're thinking bourbon must be made in Kentucky, that's incorrect.

Favorite daily bourbons: Wild Turkey 101 and Buffalo Trace - One for when I'm in the mood for a good kick and one that's more mellow.

Favorite "splurge" bourbons: Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Old Forester 1920 - love the complexity of both of these. 

Favorite Texas bourbon: Still Austin 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 1

Bourbon has to be made in Kentucky!!! All you fakers don't know squat about true American bourbon and its rich history.

Learned this well when my dad was getting his masters degree at University of Louisville

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Favorite daily bourbons: Wild Turkey 101 and Buffalo Trace - One for when I'm in the mood for a good kick and one that's more mellow.

Favorite "splurge" bourbons: Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Old Forester 1920 - love the complexity of both of these. 

Favorite Texas bourbon: Still Austin 

No such thing as "Texas" bourbon... That's whiskey

• Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

No such thing as "Texas" bourbon... That's whiskey

You're wrong. Bourbon can be made anywhere in the United States. 

Think bourbon has to be made in Kentucky? Think again.

Definition of Bourbon according to the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau

Whisky produced in the U.S. at not exceeding 80 percent alcohol by volume (160 proof) from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn and stored at not more than 62.5 percent alcohol by volume (125 proof) in charred new oak containers.

Notice nothing about Kentucky is mentioned?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rojomojo said:

Bourbon has to be made in Kentucky!!! All you fakers don't know squat about true American bourbon and its rich history.

Learned this well when my dad was getting his masters degree at University of Louisville

Are you always this friendly and welcoming at social gatherings?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rojomojo said:

You learned wrong. You now have an opportunity to learn correctly. Will you take it or falsely double down

6 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

the Pot Stilled is a bourbon (Baby Blue a corn whiskey, Lineage an American Single Malt). if you're thinking bourbon must be made in Kentucky, that's incorrect.

I am aware of all the above, but thanks for sharing.

43 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I assumed, but many (clearly, see above) are under the impression bourbon has regionality requirements to Kentucky. 

Yep.  I think that was the belief for years, as I remember being told that at one time.

There was a television series on a couple of years ago that reviewed the history of bourbon, etc.  I think it was on A&E or the History Channel, but the one thing I took from the program was the master distiller from Jim Beam's answer when asked what bourbon/whiskey people should drink.  He commented that people should drink what they like.

I purchased Buffalo Trace about 6 or 7 years ago and didn't care for it after hearing so many great reviews.  I thought something was wrong with me, probably is, because so many people liked it.  Hearing the distiller from Jim Beam/Heaven Hill make the statement made me feel better.  Anyway, I honestly don't drink enough to pick out the nuances, but I know what I like when I drink it and enjoy hearing what others like so I can try something new from time to time.

Has anyone tried sotol?  There is a Texas brand distilled in Driftwood call Desert Door that sounds interesting, but I have never had any.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

So if I take a bourbon recipe and make it in Texas, it's not gonna be bourbon? lol

Definitely is still bourbon, just not as good IMO. My big gripe about Texas bourbon is that its really expensive for the quality. Most of them run between $40-$60 but have the quality of a $30 Kentucky bourbon. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

My daily/mixer is usually Evan Williams 1783 or Evan Williams Bottled in Bond.

My splurge is usually to try something new, but I’m currently enjoying Four Roses Single Barrel, Basil Hayden Rye, and Old Forester 1910.  

My favorite Texas is TX Blended.  I really like it, but the price has gone up to where I seldom get it anymore.  I toured Witherspoon and bought some bourbon, but honestly didn’t really care for it.

I bought the Desert Door sotol after sampling it at Total Wine.  I thought it would be a good substitute for tequila in margaritas, but not so much.  I bought it probably at least two years ago and I bet I haven’t had half the bottle.

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2023 at 1:59 PM, UNTLifer said:

Yep.  I think that was the belief for years, as I remember being told that at one time.

There was a television series on a couple of years ago that reviewed the history of bourbon, etc.  I think it was on A&E or the History Channel, but the one thing I took from the program was the master distiller from Jim Beam's answer when asked what bourbon/whiskey people should drink.  He commented that people should drink what they like.

I purchased Buffalo Trace about 6 or 7 years ago and didn't care for it after hearing so many great reviews.  I thought something was wrong with me, probably is, because so many people liked it.  Hearing the distiller from Jim Beam/Heaven Hill make the statement made me feel better.  Anyway, I honestly don't drink enough to pick out the nuances, but I know what I like when I drink it and enjoy hearing what others like so I can try something new from time to time.

Has anyone tried sotol?  There is a Texas brand distilled in Driftwood call Desert Door that sounds interesting, but I have never had any.

I was at Desert Door a couple of months ago. Really cool spot.

I really liked the "Original" that's similar to tequila. Extremely smooth. But the "Oak Aged" and "Conservation Series" were gross. Tasted like someone filtered whiskey through a wet gym sock.

• Haha 1

Has anyone tried this? 

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Bourbon | Russell's Reserve (russellsreserve.com) 

I bought a bottle for my buddy John; it was his birthday the other day. 

I had a few people talk it up now. It is directly related to Wild Turkey; Russell (the Dad) is one of the master distillers for Wild Turkey, I believe. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Has anyone tried this? 

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Bourbon | Russell's Reserve (russellsreserve.com) 

I had a few people talk it up now. It is directly related to Wild Turkey; Russell (the Dad) is one of the master distillers for Wild Turkey, I believe. 

I haven't but am now interested.  Did your buddy John share?  If so, what were your thoughts?

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/russells-reserve-single-barrel-bourbon

• Upvote 1

I’ve watched several of Chad and Sara’s videos and I enjoy them.  I’ve found a few good pours based on their review/recommendation.  This video is from three years ago, but I thought it was very appropriate for this thread.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I haven't but am now interested.  Did your buddy John share?  If so, what were your thoughts?

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/russells-reserve-single-barrel-bourbon

Yes, but I gave it to him in a restaurant. So no sharing that night.  

• Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

• Harry featured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 4:14 PM, KingDL1 said:

Has anyone tried this? 

Grabbed a bottle this weekend. They seem to be back in stock after being unavailable for months. Really enjoyed it neat and made a great old fashioned. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727