74 UNC-Wilmington (Neutral-L)

111 UMASS (Neutral-W)

121 GCU (Neutral-W)

133 SJST (Neutral-W)

160 LBS (Neutral-W)

Edited by MrAlien
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

We didn't go up with this win. UAB went up 8 spots with their home win against Charlotte who only dropped 1 due to UAB on the road being a Quad 1 game. The value of having several teams in the top 75 is huge.

Side note, UMass and Grand Canyon are 11 and 21 spots away from becoming Quad 2 wins for us. I think Grand Canyon can make it if they go on a run in conference play. UMass really doesn't have many opportunities for quality wins in conference play so there's very little room for error.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Is FAU really that good?  I am not denying they have a good team, but 12/13 NET?  The teams they have beat have a cumulative losing record.  I know they won on the road at Florida, but outside of that, what have been their significant wins that have driven that NET ranking?  Their one loss is to Ole' Miss, who is 8-4, who just lost to North Alabama.

FAU's wins have come against:

2 - 7 Lynn (81 - 46)

7 - 5 Florida (76 -74)

10 - 4 Bryant (85 - 74)

5 - 8 Detroit Mercy (76 - 55)

5 - 9 Albany (73 - 56)

6 - 6 South Alabama (84 - 59)

3 - 9 Eastern Michigan (101 - 73)

10 - 3 FL Gulf Coast (85 - 53)

12 - 2 St. Thomas (97 - 74)

5 - 6 FIU (79 - 53)

7 - 6 Northern Kentucky (67 - 52)

What am I missing?

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

26 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Is FAU really that good?  I am not denying they have a good team, but 12/13 NET?  The teams they have beat have a cumulative losing record.  I know they won on the road at Florida, but outside of that, what have been their significant wins that have driven that NET ranking?  Their one loss is to Ole' Miss, who is 8-4, who just lost to North Alabama.

What am I missing?

I wonder if you're not giving KenPom (and NET?) enough credit? In these days of advanced metrics, these rankings factor in much more than just who you beat or lost to.

They can look at our games an calculate efficiencies and such, in way that can determine how you compare against anyone...not just the opponents on their schedule.

Not saying their systems are flawless, though.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

I wonder if you're not giving KenPom (and NET?) enough credit? In these days of advanced metrics, these rankings factor in much more than just who you beat or lost to.

They can look at our games an calculate efficiencies and such, in way that can determine how you compare against anyone...not just the opponents on their schedule.

Not saying their systems are flawless, though.

What I’d say is that those systems aren’t designed to see things like a 37 point breakout by Abou.  He’s had several games this season where the shots just didn’t fall, but he was still decent with 16-20 pts.  If he plays like he did last night and finishes at the rim like we’ve all been wanting him to…we are probably 11-1 and in the top 20. I don’t expect him to do that the rest of the season, but I’d like to be able to come to expect 25 ppg on a regular basis.  I think Germany is a decent center and Abou just took him to the woodshed.  It will be fun to watch him go against Jimerson.  Would love to see him gain a few pounds before that game!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/22/2022 at 11:26 AM, MrAlien said:

NET & KENPOM rankings as of 12/22/22

(Top 5)

NET                         KENPOM

12 FAU                    39 UAB

55 UAB                   40 FAU

56 UNT                   58 UNT

68  Charlotte          107 Charlotte

102 Middle Tenn.    110 Middle Tenn.

Other Schools NET Rankings that might be important to UNT

74 UNC-Wilmington (Neutral-L)

111 UMASS (Neutral-W)

121 GCU (Neutral-W)

133 SJST (Neutral-W)

160 LBS (Neutral-W)

I don't get the FAU rankings. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The problem with the computer ratings is they have to start somewhere and it is just someone's idea of the ranking of all 300 plus schools.   The rankings should get better as the season progresses.  

FAU's record as outlined above is not that strong, even Florida is not that strong a club.

When NT beats them next week (might as well be positive), they will drop drastically down.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The problem with the computer ratings is they have to start somewhere and it is just someone's idea of the ranking of all 300 plus schools.   The rankings should get better as the season progresses.  

FAU's record as outlined above is not that strong, even Florida is not that strong a club.

When NT beats them next week (might as well be positive), they will drop drastically down.  

Unless we win massively, I don’t think they would drop drastically.  It would be a quad 1 loss for them.  I do think we could go up quite a bit because it would be a quad one win for us assuming the didn’t drop past 30 in the NET.

• Upvote 1

FAU might be 12th in NET, but they are 29th in the RPI, and 40th in Kenpom.  UNT is actually 27th in the RPI, while 54th in Kenpom.  None of the other analytic metrics as high as they are in the NET, So I think FAU would drop significantly in the NET if the loose to UNT.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

FAU might be 12th in NET, but they are 29th in the RPI, and 40th in Kenpom.  UNT is actually 27th in the RPI, while 54th in Kenpom.  None of the other analytic metrics as high as they are in the NET, So I think FAU would drop significantly in the NET if the loose to UNT.   

NCAA Evaluation Tool is all that's used by the NCAA for tournament evaluation. It replaced the RPI and does not take RPI or Kenpom into account. The NET is all we should be worried about come March.

• Upvote 2

On 12/24/2022 at 3:17 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

NCAA Evaluation Tool is all that's used by the NCAA for tournament evaluation. It replaced the RPI and does not take RPI or Kenpom into account. The NET is all we should be worried about come March.

I know that they say that, but every year there are 5-6 schools sitting pretty in the NET that dont make the tournament.   As for FAU, the Florida game makes them look better then they really are, and that is reflected in other metrics.  They might be sitting at 13 in the NET, but they are not in any top 25 poll, and if the NCAA selection was today I wouldnt bet on an at large bid for UAB.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MrAlien said:

I know that they say that, but every year there are 5-6 schools sitting pretty in the NET that dont make the tournament.   As for FAU, the Florida game makes them look better then they really are, and that is reflected in other metrics.  They might be sitting at 13 in the NET, but they are not in any top 25 poll, and if the NCAA selection was today I wouldnt bet on an at large bid for UAB.   

AP poll is a popularity contest. You're probably right that UAB may not get an at-large as things stand. I think we'd have the best bet based on strength of schedule. Ours this year is better than UAB and FAU and is better than Wyoming, Colorado State, and Boise State last year who all made the tourney. Our non-conference SOS was good last year but our overall SOS was average. Factor in we were 5-3 in non-conference and that non-conference SOS became irrelevant.

Just have to take care of business but there's definitely an avenue for CUSA getting 2 bids. Lots of basketball left. I'd rather a different fanbase worry about that while our guys snatch the AQ.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

The interesting thing AP & Coaches polls is that its not just the top 25, but the "also received votes" those are the schools that will round out any at large selections, so far this year FAU and UAB have received some votes. 

As for CUSA getting an at large bid, I am guessing there will be between 4-5 at large spots between AAC, WCC, MW, and CUSA.  In theory they should take the next best 4-5 schools in the NET.  Right now the next best in NET from those conferences are as follows:  16-St Mary's, 22-Utah st. 38-San Diego st, 41-UNT, 45-Memphis, 51-UNLV, 52-UAB. 

• Upvote 1

I'd be surprised if the MW got more than 1 at-large this year considering their 2 bids went 0-2 in 2019, 2 bids went 0-2 in 2021, and their 4 bids went 0-4 this past tourney. Guess we'll see if they're still the darlings despite no tournament wins since 2018. I realize it's about this season's performance but these are still humans making the decisions.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3