Fantasy Football League

I created a league at Yahoo just for gmg.com members.

First step is to go here. Then join custom league # 1221 with the password gmg.

It has all Yahoo defualt settings, so prepare and draft accordingly. I have been a commish for football, baseball, basketball, March madness, hockey, and pick em sets at Yahoo, so I have experience and will keep an eye on the league daily to make sure everything is running well.

The two most common reasons I get for not playing:

1) I don't have enough time - You can spend as much time as you want. You only have to set your lineup once a week. That can be as little as 5 minutes a week if you like. If you choose to research trades and free agents, it will take longer, but isn't mandatory.

2) I can't make the draft - The draft is probably the single most fun event of fantasy sports, especially when you know others in the league. I have scheduled the draft far enough away to make a little time for it, but if it is impossible, then that is OK, you aren't screwed. You can set your pre-rankings at any time before the draft and Yahoo will draft for you using your rankings. Or, you can trust the Yahoo defaults and not bother with any of it. Certainly don't let one of those two reasons stop you.

I also ask that you use your gmg.com name, or some derivative of it. Ex: "Coach", or "Fightin Coaches". That way we will all easily know who we are going up against and who is who.

PM me any questions you may have, and I hope to see you in the league.

Guest e-bone

Also, please don't join if you aren't going to stay active the entire season. These leagues are a lot of fun, but when a few people start being inactive then it can really bring the league down and ruin a lot of the fun.

If I had 75 bucks to blow on something like that I would buy a MGR subscription.

Abandoned teams is the biggest flaw of Yahoo sports, and you are right, it's because it's free. But that shouldn't be an issue with this league. With everyone being a poster here, there is some accountability and pride on the line. It isn't like a public league, and if I don't join a public league this year I won't care just for that reason. I have also noticed over the years it happens a lot less in football than in baseball and basketball.

Just registered, as the tenth team in the league. The draft (Aug 8) is earlier than I am used to, but I'll adjust. It'll be good to be in a Yahoo! League with people I'm familiar with. Bring it on!!!

Greenblood94

Owner, Greenblood's Eagles

Yahoo! Football League Champions 1999, 2000

Yahoo! Football League Runners-Up 2001

It is a little earlier than usual for me too, but I didn't want to interfere with anyone else's league, but leave enough time to prepare for the draft. There were 11 teams as of 7 this morning, so spots are going fast.

At 9 am, only 3 spots left.

Edited by Coach

Cowtown, read #2 in the original post.

Thanks to everyone who has joined, mark the draft on your calendar and feel free to use the forum at the league for questions and/or trash talking.

One more spot left...

The only "fantasies" I've ever involved myself are the kind that if I posted the details I would I'm sure have yet another thread removed by Cerebus (again); it would only be the 2'nd in 2 weeks matter of fact. OH HELL! CAN I EVEN SAY THAT, HARRY?!?!?smile.gif

I've never played fantasy football or baseball ever. What is the hook in all this that keeps so many interested? I have seen magazines in the sports section at Wal Mart on all this "fantasy business" so I know it is very popular.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I've never played fantasy football or baseball ever. What is the hook in all this that keeps so many interested?

It adds a whole other dimension to following sports. I will watch any football game, but when you have one team's kicker and running back, and the guy you are playing that week has that team's wide reciever and the other team's quarterback, it makes the game immensely more intriguing. It also makes every score in every game important. I find myself watching blowouts to end as if it were a nailbiter...just like somone who bets against the spread.

I have seen magazines in the sports section at Wal Mart on all this "fantasy business" so I know it is very popular.

The growth of fantasy sports has been amazing. I bought my first fantasy book in 96 or 97, I forget, and it was the only one on the shelf. Now, the magazine rack is dominated by them.

There was a lengthy article in Sports Illustrated a couple of weeks ago about fantasy sports. It said it is a multi-billion dollar industry, and that is just money directly influenced by fantasy.