Saturday Football Kickoff

greenjoe

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Anyone have any scrimmage updates or takeaways?

I am also anxious for scrimmage notes. As conductor of the Jace Ruder hype train I must know how my guy did with first team reps.

Bummed I had to miss this morning. Going to pick up my tailgating/parking tickets this week. Are there any more practices open to the public before the season starts?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

13 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Haha got sidetracked trying to find Brett’s article

Here’s what I saw from 10AM to 11:45AM from inside Apogee to the Practice Facility because of rain/lightning.

Ruder looked great. Had a few times where he was surrounded by lineman on defense but had some good passes. He ran with 1st team more than Aune it seemed. Ruder also had a great house call on the ground against the 1s to end the scrimmage. He turned up the jets!

Aune had some good passes including a nice one to Torrey in the flat for some good yards. Like I said above, pressure was real. 

Bush had a great catch in the corner of the endzone against Whitlock. Pass from Ruder.

Shorter seems to be getting completely 100% and had several nice catches, one was an almost terrific catch but somehow taken out by John Davis.

Mose didn’t practice because of an injury 

Turpin was at LT and Brown was at LG for 1s. Both 1st and 2nd string Oline’s were pretty dang good. Ruder and Aune seem to have some time in the pocket, but when they leave that, they’re hunted down. Not much room to scramble with both Murphy twins on the end!

Gumms is a beast. Ran with 2nd and 3rd teams and was so dominant on the run blocking. Leveled one guy on a pitch, and I think Keith Jackson got a good gain.

Jake Roberts is so so good. Big fan and should start.

Novil looks massive and moving good. Had a few mess ups (false starts) and Bennett tore into him. 2 scouts were also there, I would greatly assume because of Novil.

Depth on defense is great. Rotation in the front 7 is just crazy deep. Guys like McCrae, Johnson, among others got good runs and looked solid in the middle.

I know this doesn’t mean that much, but Stout was with 2nd team a lot more than I would think. Tyreke Davis wasn’t playing a traditional linebacker position and Sanders was more of a slot for some reason. 

Larry Nixon was a player that stood out to me. Was in the backfield a lot, and really made some good tackles against the 1s and 2s.

Adaway was very physical and Torrey had some good catches in the flat. I’m not sure if we run a 2 back set with Adaway and Torrey at all, but if we did, that would be dangerous. 

Bennett snapped every time something wrong happened, big or small. I can’t tell you how much I love that. 

Physicality was off the charts. Guys cussing each other out, really aggressive up front from OLine vs Dline, and energy/chemistry really shined.

Was talking to quite a few guys including Dillion Lovelace about what he saw, and we all agree this is a damn good football team. The depth is real, and with not much expectations, I think we can run the table in many games.

Maybe I need to take my green glasses off, but whew I’m so f’ing pumped for September 4th and mainly the 11th. I think we can hang in with SMU. Although they’re loaded at every position, I know Bennett is gonna have the guys really fired up. Getting embarrassed against the school you were a head coach at for 5 years is something I know he doesn’t want to happen.

Also loved the turn out from fans. Seth gave some good answers to questions for the first time in a while. Not as much as the usual monotone voice and answers haha.

This is great stuff. I know Vito mentioned Bush caught a TD pass from Aune so either one of y’all got the QB mixed up or Bush had himself a day. It’s going to be interesting how the ball gets distributed this year but we have so many good receivers.

Sorry, another question, do you know which receivers were working in the slot? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

This is great stuff. I know Vito mentioned Bush caught a TD pass from Aune so either one of y’all got the QB mixed up or Bush had himself a day. It’s going to be interesting how the ball gets distributed this year but we have so many good receivers.

Sorry, another question, do you know which receivers were working in the slot? 

I might’ve got the Bush TD confused with Ruder instead of Aune… I know it was a great pass and catch.

But Thompson was in the slot most of the time when he was on the field, and Roderic Burns with the 2nd team. Bryson Jackson and Caleb Johnson maybe had 1-2 snaps as well in the slot each.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I might’ve got the Bush TD confused with Ruder instead of Aune… I know it was a great pass and catch.

But Thompson was in the slot most of the time when he was on the field, and Roderic Burns with the 2nd team. Bryson Jackson and Caleb Johnson maybe had 1-2 snaps as well in the slot each.

Nice. Thanks again. No offense to Rod Burns but there is too much receiver talent for him to be the number 2 slot guy. Not to mention he had a couple big drops last year. I remember that Charlotte game in particular last year where Burns, Ogunmakin, and White all had big drops throughout the game. Too much receiver talent for that to be happening this year, especially if guys dropping passes aren’t making plays outside of the drops.

• Upvote 2