🏈🤠🏈The Bible of Texas Football Is On Many Newstands Today!

DCTF says: “If you’re looking for a dark horse to win CUSA-West, then North Texas is probably the way to go.”

••• DCTF staff picks the CUSA-West:
(1) UT-SA  (2) UAB  (3) North Texas
(4) La Tech (5) Rice (6) Southern Miss (7) UTEP

••• In the DCTF North Texas section is a very nice full page pic of the Lovelace & McNatt Families Practice Facility (MeanGreenSports.com) 

••• Trying not to get too tipsy or giddy on the (apparent) José Cuervo-laced green kool-ade, but good golly Miss Molly, folks, when is the last time we had as many top P-5 transfers & top G5 football talent on the UNT campus?  

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Today this was at the Hudson Oaks (near Weatherford) Walmart.  Now I’ll head back home & read it.

The first DCTF magazine I bought was its debut year of 1962.   At age 11 I grabbed it off the magazine rack of my hometown Danbury (Texas) Griffins General Store. 

❇️🦅❇️

C07E0784-53E0-4DD8-BACD-149AAB0C6E9E.thumb.jpeg.671be1b2a4c65cfe75718d208b67f595.jpeg

* from WiKi

The magazine was started in 1960 by Dave Campbell, a longtime writer and sports editor for the Waco Tribune-Herald, along with fellow Waco sportswriters Hollis Biddle, Jim Montgomery, and Al Ward, plus Campbell's wife, Reba. He published the magazine out of his kitchen. On the cover of the inaugural edition was Texas Longhorns running back Jackie Collins. The cover price for the first 96-page magazine was fifty cents.

See the source image

Here's a bonus question for anyone. What year did a player of color first appear on the cover of DCTF?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

* from WiKi

Here's a bonus question for anyone. What year did a player of color first appear on the cover of DCTF?

UT’s Roosevelt Leaks?  

I had a Senior Memory moment on the year I bought my first one until I looked at every cover page beginning with 1960.  I remembered the no face mask helmet from 1960 as my first purchase.  My mother threw away my early DCTF copies thinking I was done with them after I left home.😆😩

Bless her Pea-Pickin’ heart but mother  also threw away my 3 Tampa cigar boxes filled with Topps baseball cards. (I had moved out for college & I guess she just thought I was done with them). 
 😩I had 2 of Mickey Mantle’s  rookie cards in that group.  Like many Texas baby boomers before the Houston Colt .45’s entrance into MLB in 1962, I was a big Yankee fan & especially a fan of  “the Mick.”  The Yanks were on TV down here in Texas every weekend.  (Remember sportscasters Dizzy Dean & PeeWee Reese who did most of those broadcasts)?

I saw Mickey hit the first home run in the Astrodome in an exhibition game at its grand opening on 4-9-1965.  It was a night to remember. President LBJ, Ladybird, John & Nellie Connally were also there siting in Judge Roy Hofheinz’s luxury suite. 

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

••• DCTF staff picks the CUSA-West:
(1) UT-SA  (2) UAB  (3) North Texas
(4) La Tech (5) Rice (6) Southern Miss (7) UTEP
❇️🦅❇️

We get DCTF 2 favorites of the CUSA-West at fabulous Apogee Stadium.
••• Both games will undoubtedly be well-attended.  

A351244F-022E-460E-AF37-4ADC3A8D489B.jpeg.990ec5297e9ad78ed040778d747143f9.jpeg

❇️🦅❇️ 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2021 at 6:06 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

Between California, Florida & Texas I wonder who has the most who play high school football & who sent the most recruits to D1 schools out of the recent 2021 recruiting class? 

Page 40 gives some of that info.  Texas had the most recruits, but was 7th per capita.   

Check out the stat on page 42.  Texas had the most recruits at every offensive position.

• Thanks 2