Green Flags for the Flag Corp Campaign

FirefightnRick

I have contacted Dr. Velose' office about the flags. He's out of town till next Monday. I spoke with the receptionist and she said to call him or a woman named Meridith about the flags. I also told her what we were trying to do incase she passed one of them in the hall to let them know I've been trying to get ahold of them for two days now and what it pertained to. I've called Meridiths number and continue getting a machine and am waiting for a call back.

We can get the flags made for a whopping price of about $16 a piece, but the trick is getting them in time for the TCU game. Considering today is Friday, and the TCU game is in 8 days, I would expect we will see our Green Brigade surounded by Purple Flags at TCU next weekend. GOOD GRIEF!

This is about all we can do, offer and hope they take us up on it. You can't say the alumni at NT doesn't get involved as many of us have done MORE than our share in volunteering our time and money to sell season tickets, getting people to the game and help continue tradition.

If someone has another number or knows of a contact person I can get in touch with let me know. FirefightnRick@hotmail.com.

Rick

• Downvote 2

MGF,

I'm not sure what it means either, but I suspect that it might mean that someone (yet again) just doesn't "get it" about our concerns. If I had to guess about the "reaction" that we will get from the music department, I would speculate that it will be something along the lines of "why are those people trying to meddle in things that they obviously know nothing about?".

People at Universities can get real territorial, especially when they've been left alone to do whatever they please for decades.

This is not a "school of music vs the athletic dept. issue", and this is not a "winds studies vs the meddling masses issue". It is an issue of "school pride" and "school spirit", and the symbolism thereof. As intelligent and talented as the students and staff are in the school of music, it just blows me away that they don't understand (or worse, are indifferent to) such a basic concept.

We have been struggling with the issue of "school pride" and "school spirit" for decades. The Band (for whatever reason) has taken upon itself to fly flags on a regular basis that are NOT the North Texas school colors. At every game that I have attended, both home and away, I have noticed that THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT EVER DO THAT.

It doesn't look "cool" to the North Texas fans. It looks like the Band could care less about school pride, and it also conveys a certain amount of arrogance on the part of the school of music. The same message gets conveyed to every new student that comes to a North Texas game for the first time, and the second time etc etc..........

If displaying the school colors is not important, then why wear green and white uniforms? Why wear uniforms at all? Why not just show-up in whatever happens to be clean in the band members closets on any given game day.

Mean Green Fanatic, I see you and Bandgeek as some of the best fans from the school of music that I have seen in years.....possibly ever. This years Green Brigade is one of the most spirited ever. I just wish the "symbolism" matched the "enthusiasm".

cool.gif

Silver Eagle, thank you for your compliment that you gave me as one of the best fans from the school of music. I certainly try to build spirit wherever I go and especially in the band since we are a very visible part of the game day activities. I will talk to the color guard member in which I spoke to last night later today and I will ask if they can use the green flags at TCU.

From what I gather on the green flags, they seem to be really ugly, so if FireFighting Rick and the other alumni still want to buy new green flags, go for it!!!

GMG!!

Maybe the Band Director or Flag Director don't see the flag color as the problem that we see from the stands. I've seen high school bands use non-school colored flags or uniform accents just for "another" color in the presentation.

If it's a money issue or equipment-life problem, then we're here to help replace them. Does anyone really think the TCU band will be waving GREEN flags next Saturday? Good Grief! Sometimes, you just can't help people that don't want help. blink.gif

"(front)I'm in the band...

(back)and I still like NT! "

or

(front) I'm in the band...

(back) "And I still wear green".

or

(front) I'm in the band...

(back) Kick me if I'm NOT wearing green.

Seriously, and this is not directed at you bandgeek.

How many other Universities that have exsisted for 112 years, and have had a football team for almost 90 years, have to struggle with the issue of school spirit and flying the school colors. (sigh) sad.gif

Having flags the same color as your uniform is foolish. The idea is for them to be seen and blending in is a bad idea. Compound that with the fact the field is green and green flags are just a bad idea. These students work very hard during the week to present a show at halftime and there hard work should be seen.

A good solution to the school spirit issue would be to have UNT flags for when the band enters, or leaves the field plus pre-game even but let them show off their hard work during their half time show.

"Having flags the same color as your uniform is foolish. The idea is for them to be seen and blending in is a bad idea. Compound that with the fact the field is green and green flags are just a bad idea. These students work very hard during the week to present a show at halftime and there hard work should be seen.

A good solution to the school spirit issue would be to have UNT flags for when the band enters, or leaves the field plus pre-game even but let them show off their hard work during their half time show."

Christ. <_<

I see your point MGH, but while I like color as much as the next photograhper, I think the flags should reflect the school. The contrast in colors will be there even if you tried to match the uniforms or the field. If you must have contrast a nice white flag with the UNT logo in the center would do it.

Frankly North Texas need a big shot of school pride, and NT Daily artice aside pride in an institution is not the sort of pride talked about in Proverbs. Right now and for the next several years I think it's okay to be a little hyper sensitive about trying to build pride in all aspects of North Texas.

I can only see two solutions to this problem:

1) Get white turf so the flags show up better. Of course, the road team will be invisible, but hey, it's all about making the band look good.

2) I will personally join FFR in forming our own Flag Corp and marching at the game. No, we will not be as good as our regular corp. No, we won't look good. BUT - you will know what team we support!

biggrin.gif

MeanGreenHoops....thank you so much for explaining this to me! I was at the Nichols game with my nephew, and at half time we kept hearing what we thought was a band, but didn't see anything. Well, we did see a bunch of instuments on the field moving around, but no one playing them! I guess it was because they blended into the field, being green and all.

laugh.giftongue.gifcool.gifsmile.gifblink.gif

Hoops, I agree with you about the color in the flags. I think they should use many colors (just like most marching bands)

But I think that they should be aware of the other schools colors (IE don't use purple at TCU)

I would make sure that the Flag director knows what you guys are buying before you buy them. The flags used are generally not square, they are rounded, so that when they are spun they make a circle, not a, well a big mess like a normal flag would make.

Maybe a silver or white flag with green outlines would be a good idea for some of the shows, but I never remember seeing a band with school colored flags.

Overall, I really don't feel like the color of the flags should make someone think that these kids don't support the school. If you can't see past that to the amount of time that they work practicing and performing, then thats your fault, not theirs.

Seeya,

Shane

I would rather have purple than that ugly ass orange. Plus haven't we discussed the lack of creativity and flair of the UT band?

WE ARE NOT A&M!!!!! WE ARE NOT UT!!!!!!!! And the band is the leader in showing off the difference and individuality of our school. I support them because they are part of the NT community.

To suggest that they don't support the school or football team because of the color of the flags is truly ignorant. It is ignorant of all the hard work and dedication that these people put into what they do.

I think that it all goes back to many people's unwillingness to accept anything different than what they think. You think that the flag corp should use YOUR flag and thats it.

But you don't take into account what other people (The band director, the flag director, THE FLAG CORP MEMBERS, the judges at contests, the other fans at the game etc) want to do or see.

You are mad because the band isn't like those other state schools and you want them to be. But I am telling you that isn't going to happen (THANK GOD!!!!) So either accept the NT band for who they are, or find a cookie cutter band to support.

Like I said........ I agree that the band shouldn't use purple flags at TCU. That isn't right. But that doesn't mean that they HAVE to use green!

Seeya,

Shane

I remember... so long ago... when we used to actually talk about Mean Green football on these boards... oh how I long for those days....

laugh.gif

Let me see... we have threads about the bands color coordination, we have threads about HS football, we have threads about the head coaches personality, we have about 2 million threads on the school newspaper, oh wait, we do have an actual football thread... no wait, its for the the game AFTER the one we are playing tomorrow....

blink.gif

Ok, so maybe its not that bad... but its close.