This stinks

According to the Sun Belt official site....next year's SBC basketball tournaments will be played on the campuses of UNT and TWU. I'm guessing that they will just have the women's games (some of them) over there at TWU. But, to me......ALL GAMES SHOULD BE PLAYED AT THE SUPER PIT.

Last I checked TWU wasn't in the Sun Belt. But, hey maybe Wright Waters has added them for football in 2007.

I assume that we will only have a two-day tournament. Fourteen games in two days doesn't fit well for one location. I do agree that it would be better to use the Snake Pit for the second location than TWU.

However, there is likely a good reason for doing this. They may have reserved the Pit for pre-game practice but if we have acquired Liberty Christian by that time why not use it for practice? Then the Pit could be available for early round games. I believe that even the Student Rec Center has basketball courts which could be used for warmup.

Another reason might be a step on the road to merging TWU and UNT into one university. Don't quote me on that but it could be a possibility.

Another reason might be a step on the road to merging TWU and UNT into one university.  Don't quote me on that but it could be a possibility.

I would like that idea! biggrin.gif

Also, TWU recently announced it was ending it's journalism department, in part because UNT has a good one, and that too could be a sign of the future melding of the two schools, plus it would save state higher education tax $$. ph34r.gif

Edited by NT80

Guest e-bone

I assume that we will only have a two-day tournament.  Fourteen games in two days doesn't fit well for one location.

A three round tournament in two days doesn't work.

A three round tournament in two days doesn't work.

I agree because two of the teams would have to play two games in one day and while that's possible it isn't practical, especially with so much at stake.

My favorite would be four Saturday games at each location, four Sunday games at the Super Pit and the two championship games on Monday night.

I think that you could get the maximum attendance with that format, no one gets screwed because they got a day's less rest and those that had to work on Friday still attend.

One potential problem is that the women's NCAA and NIT may start a week earlier than the men's.

I emailed RV and here is his response.

John,

The men's gym has lines going in every direction and would be a bad venue by today's standards. We are only going to play three games at the most at TWU. This is being done so that all 11 teams can participate instead of just eight. So most of the tournament will be at the Super Pit. Thanks for your concern and I look forwark to seeing you soon.

Rick V.

I emailed RV and here is his response.

John,

The men's gym has lines going in every direction and would be a bad venue by today's standards. We are only going to play three games at the most at TWU. This is being done so that all 11 teams can participate instead of just eight. So most of the tournament will be at the Super Pit. Thanks for your concern and I look forwark to seeing you soon.

Rick V.

Is he referring to concession stand lines? If so his is right.. biggrin.gif