DRC: Postseason questions series No. 3 -- Can UNT replace Jeffery Wilson?

Brett Vito

SMU (13 carries for 36 yards)

This isn't because he was getting bottled up (heck, Jeff scored the first TD of the game), it was because Courtland Sutton ripped off 24 unanswered points on us and put the Mean Green in catch-up (re: passing game only) mode.    There was little-to-no run game in the 2nd half.   If the defense could pay attention to where Sutton was on the field, the game would have been much closer, and the offense would have been much more balanced.

7 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

We'll have plenty speed with  Smith, Johnson, Torrey, Hosley and Wyche. Wilson's power running could be replaced by Easly. 

tenor.gif

I've said it before and I'll say it again, with this current group of RB's, I think we'll see a lot more swings/screens as extensions of the run game

Littrell's air raid isn't as pass happy as others, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it shift that way some. I know we've seen Smith do well against Rice, but I question his ability to keep it up as the lead guy for 12 games. I also worry we don't have that "take it 80 yards to the house" kind of guy right now. Maybe Torrey? Who knows. 

Good thing is we have a couple games to find a rhythm before trying to upset the hogs.

I think Guyton was the most important offensive weapon.

I wouldn't have considered Wilson a power runner, in the traditional sense. He depended on his ability to find holes and bend runs. He had good vision, and was able to extend a play after contact, but he wasn't running people over (unless you were a DB, which he found a lot).

I really like what we have in Smith, but I think our new crop of runners are more in the mold of pass-catching playmakers than a traditional inside runner.