NTSU and the SWC

Cooley

2 hours ago, wardly said:

If the SWC had done basic financials on our Athletic Department they would have died laughing. We had no money. At all.

At the same time, if we had got in there would have been more money coming in. I think it is safe to say a lot of schools are not doing anywhere near as well as people would think.

It's interesting to analyze the options NTSU had around this time. As has been noted in the thread already, one of those options was to stay in the Missouri Valley Conference. Let's dig a little deeper into that situation ...

By 1975 (the year NTSU decided to go independent), the big three schools of Louisville, Cincinnati, and Memphis State had all left the conference. If NTSU had stayed in the Missouri Valley Conference (rather than going independent) the following schools would have been football playing members:

North Texas State

Drake

Tulsa

Wichita State

New Mexico State

West Texas State

Non-football members of the Missouri Valley would have been Bradley and Southern Illinois.

In 1976, Indiana State would be added to the football ranks. And Creighton would be added as a non-football playing member.

In 1977, Southern Illinois would be added to the football ranks.

So for the second half of the decade (the 1970s), the Missouri Valley football conference would basically have looked like this:

North Texas State 

Drake

Tulsa

Wichita State

New Mexico State

West Texas State

Indiana State

Southern Illinois

This is a pretty good lineup for basketball. After all, North Texas fans would have gotten to see the Mean Green take on Larry Bird and the Sycamores of Indiana State. But if football is what matters the most, maybe NTSU made the correct decision in going independent.

Edited by greenb.o.g.
  • Upvote 2

On 11/3/2020 at 9:32 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

At the same time, if we had got in there would have been more money coming in. I think it is safe to say a lot of schools are not doing anywhere near as well as people would think.

It's water under the bridge, but presently UNT is ranked last in Texas among G5 schools in giving to athletics, so based upon history I doubt there would have been a green flood of money. When Fry was coach I had two toddlers, was trying to get my business off the ground, and made very few games, but I don't recall a sellout at Fouts. Perhaps those who attended home games during the Fry era can provide an idea as attendance.

• Upvote 2

I was there for Fry's first two seasons; 73 and 74 and remember our games pretty much as non-events. Many of the games were played at Texas Stadium which dwarfed our small crowd of supporters.   The one exception was the 1974 NTSU-SMU game which did attract a decent crowd and interest. 

The worse example was our Nov, 74 game with San Diego State at Fouts which was remains our only victory against a ranked opponent.  Not counting the band, there were not 300 fans in attendance.  I remember the announced attendance was 1000!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

It's water under the bridge, but presently UNT is ranked last in Texas among G5 schools in giving to athletics, so based upon history I doubt there would have been a green flood of money. When Fry was coach I had two toddlers, was trying to get my business off the ground, and made very few games, but I don't recall a sellout at Fouts. Perhaps those who attended home games during the Fry era can provide an idea as attendance.

@wardlyOur history, and overall lack of support for athletics is something we will need to continue working on. I think many people do not realize the perception Texas High School coaches have regarding UNT. Hopefully we will continue building relationships and gain trust. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I was there for Fry's first two seasons; 73 and 74 and remember our games pretty much as non-events. Many of the games were played at Texas Stadium which dwarfed our small crowd of supporters.   The one exception was the 1974 NTSU-SMU game which did attract a decent crowd and interest. 

The worse example was our Nov, 74 game with San Diego State at Fouts which was remains our only victory against a ranked opponent.  Not counting the band, there were not 300 fans in attendance.  I remember the announced attendance was 1000!

San Diego State was 19’th ranked (or tied for 19’th) & (you’re right) they were the last NCAA D1-A ranked team we beat, letsgiveacheer. 

GreenGrenade aka the late Rick Spears told me the HFC of the Aztecs  kicked the visitors locker room water cooler off the wall post-game & AD Hayden Fry sent him a bill for damages. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Best crowd during the Fry era happened 2 weeks after we beat the Tennessee Vols against Cal-Poly Pomona.  19,000 & some change. 

A fellow alum told me advance sales for the Florida State game at Fouts indicated it would be SRO & then Texas got hit with a snow blizzard. (That was also Bobby Bowden’s first season as the Seminoles HFC). 

Yes, it was a different era, but Game Days at Apogee Stadium are so much more entertaining than they ever were at Fouts Field—except (maybe) when Fouts Field hosted a Band Day.🙄

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen