A Perspective On The History Of 2017: Trust Me On This.

FirefightnRick

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

History recalls the 1975 season we finished 7-4 and beat Tennessee.  It's recalled here on GMG.com frequently and by many at the tailgatings on game day.  Video of Sears Woods running back the kickoff for the win was even shown during a time out on TV during our game against the vols 2 years ago.  But do you remember the 61-7 shellacking Ok St gave us earlier in the year?  Of course not...because that loss didn't define that season.  The '75 season will go down in history and remembered  as a great year by all.

History recalls that during the '88 season NT finished an amazing 2-1 (actually 3-0 in most eyes) against the SWC as an FCS program, spending 6 to 8 weeks ranked #1 in the polls.  You all have read about it here many times before...and will again for as long as you support this program.  It was a magical season that made a crap ton of Mean Green lifers out of its students and fans, many who are still here today.   But no one hardly ever mentions the craptastic turd we laid  to SFA on our homecoming late that season that cost us the SLC Championship,...and then a first round 7-0 loss to Marshall in the playoffs.  The '88 season will go down in history and remembered  as a great year by all.

History recalls the 2001 season as the first of a magical 4 year run of conference championships and N.O.Bowl games.  Those who lived it will go to their graves remembering how an 0-5 team reversed course mid season and won 5 straight to win the championship......ending a 42 year bowl drought for North Texas and accepting an invite to the inaugural N.O. Bowl.  What was hardly discussed much after it happened or at all ever since was the absolute embarrassing loss we suffered to Troy, an FCS transitional team in the final week of that season....sending to our bowl game with a 5-6 record.  NoMe of the Colorado St fans I met said a word about it.  The news barely mentioned it and other than a few mtsu fans butt hurt that they lost to us the losing record was a nothing burger.   The '01 season will go down in history and remembered as a great year by all.

And history will always recall the 2017 regular season as a great year by all as well.  A season we went 9-3 and won a western division conference championship.  A year that a great back carved his place among the greats.  And a year a future legend from Locust Grove was born.  That's all you'll remember to tell your kids and grandchildren years from now.  Trust me on this.  Heck...if we finish 10-4 it'll be remembered possibly as one of the greatest seasons history will ever remember.   

See what just happened when you read........10-4?  Trust me on this

Its All Green......And All Good!

Rick

Could this be the greatest Fall ever for UNT Athletics? Football wins the west, Soccer C-USA Champion, VolleybalLC-USA Champion! GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

I stayed through the trophy presentation yesterday because I wanted to remember what that scene looked like when it one day plays out in Apogee.   FAU fans were complimentary of North Texas and several shook my hand on the way out of the stadium.  They battle all the d bags from Miami and other programs in the state.  They had a magical season.  We are having a magical season.  They got the big boy trophy this year, and one day we will see that sea of students, fathead posters and special guests pour out onto the field in Denton.  

Looking forward to seeing our players and coaches hoist another bowl game trophy and one day a CUSA trophy.

GMG  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Could this be the greatest Fall ever for UNT Athletics? Football wins the west, Soccer C-USA Champion, VolleybalLC-USA Champion! GMG

I think so.  I think it surpasses the '88 year when we won the SLC basketball championship and our first trip the the NCAA,...then followed that up the next fall with that amazing run in football.  

We had one of the state's best basketball programs and for at least 6 weeks..the state's best football programs...all running on a shoestring budget.

Rick 

• Upvote 2

Rick -- great trip down memory lane!  And, yes, I think all of us who were around back then would say we went 3-0 against the Southwest Conference that year!  :)  One clarification though on that 1988 season ... that egg we laid against SFA in 1988 when we were the #1 team in 1-AA was at SFA, not Denton.  I know this because I was a freshman at the time & we traveled to Nacogdoches for the game.  Well, me & my buddies were all cocky about our team being #1 so we decided to sit in the SFA student section for the game along with some SFA friends.  Bad decision.  Scott Davis threw 5 INT's that game and we ended up getting upset 17-10.  Lot of good-natured verbal abuse in the stands ... thus the vivid memories.  LOL.

• Lovely Take 1

I am really getting old. I went to 1988 NCAA's in Salt Lake  where we were overmatched by North Carolina,the SFA game where we laid an egg , and the Marshall game which ended in a riot and we were lucky to get out alive. I also was out the Texas game where we were robbed by the refs at the end. My foot was closer to being inbounds in the back of the end zone than the Longhorn receiver's. Thank you Rick for the memories.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wardly said:

I am really getting old. I went to 1988 NCAA's in Salt Lake  where we were overmatched by North Carolina,the SFA game where we laid an egg , and the Marshall game which ended in a riot and we were lucky to get out alive. I also was out the Texas game where we were robbed by the refs at the end. My foot was closer to being inbounds in the back of the end zone than the Longhorn receiver's. Thank you Rick for the memories.

damn, you've been here through all the good and bad times...hope you get to see what you want to see with our north texas athletics!  

• Lovely Take 1

I have had a chance to attend all our bowl games since 2001, and all our NCAA tournament games since 1988. I hope to make New Orleans again, but am having my right knee replaced before the end of the year and don't yet know the surgery date. I'm sure someone will drink a Dixie beer [if they still brew it] at the Acme Bar[ if its still open] along with a dozen oysters on the half shell on my behalf. I have been staying at the Marie Antoinette, a boutique hotel in the Quarter ,since 1971. I have not been to New Orleans post Katrina , so don't know if it survived,but would recommend it if it did. GO EAGLES! [sorry, I just can't embrace "Mean Green", but lord knows I tried.]

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/3/2017 at 2:27 PM, vpackrats said:

One clarification though on that 1988 season ... that egg we laid against SFA in 1988 when we were the #1 team in 1-AA was at SFA, not Denton.  

Ah, good memory man.  In fact, it was even worse as we lost the next week on homecoming to Northwestern State.  I remembered losing to SFA, and remembered losing on homecoming.  But had forgotten the time and place and that they came back to back. Hard to believe after such a great 6-7 weeks we lost in back to back weeks in conference?

But again, most recall it as a good season rather than a dissapointing one.

Rick 

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1