CBS Sports Rankings of CBB

untjim1995

On 10/25/2017 at 4:29 PM, untjim1995 said:

Particularly love that the university's main window gets mentioned...just awesome...

Check out #309

Thanks RV

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ranking-all-351-college-basketball-teams-from-duke-to-alabama-a-m/

He's been gone for more than a year and a half. Time to find a new scapegoat.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

WB showed up with enough time to send Benford packing & find a new coach.   He couldn't/didn't.  Whatever his reasons were, they were not very good.

All WB would have done is can Benford and ellevate someone to interim status. I don't see a permanent coach being hired until after the season had finished.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

The season hadn't started.   Heck, the school year hadn't started!    I just think he was told he didn't have the money.

WB was hired in the second half of August. Official practices for basketball started on Sept. 30th, which means he would have had less than 45 days to find a new coach. Even if WB was able to find someone, finding a competent coaching staff in that timeframe is a pretty tall order to ask for before practices begin. To say we'd have fared much better with a different staff than what we saw under Benford in his 5th and final year given the short timeframe to work with is a pretty outlandish.

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

WB was hired in the second half of August. Official practices for basketball started on Sept. 30th, which means he would have had less than 45 days to find a new coach. Even if WB was able to find someone, finding a competent coaching staff in that timeframe is a pretty tall order to ask for before practices begin. To say we'd have fared much better with a different staff than what we saw under Benford in his 5th and final year given the short timeframe to work with is a pretty outlandish.

You're telling me that topping 2-16 in conference would be too 'outlandish' to improve upon?   

orly.gif

I'm pretty sure the non-conference schedule (6-6) would have been about the same regardless of if Benford was coaching or Wren himself coached.

Oh well, water under the bridge now.   I expect a year of struggles under McCasland seeing as he basically has a totally-new roster.  Thankfully Woolridge & Lawton are back.  I have no idea what to expect from the rest of the team... but I have confidence in McCasland.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You're telling me that topping 2-16 in conference would be too 'outlandish' to improve upon?   

orly.gif

I'm pretty sure the non-conference schedule (6-6) would have been about the same regardless of if Benford was coaching or Wren himself coached.

Oh well, water under the bridge now.   I expect a year of struggles under McCasland seeing as he basically has a totally-new roster.  Thankfully Woolridge & Lawton are back.  I have no idea what to expect from the rest of the team... but I have confidence in McCasland.

I'm all but certain we wouldn't have landed a coach like McCasland. Perhaps an assistant from a lower division.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, untjim1995 said:

I wouldn’t want to hurt your feelings about RV, since you were a fan of his stellar leadership here.

The music school reference spans many stints of different athletic directors, so to say he's at fault for the reference is misguided for your rage over someone who is no longer with the department. Let the past go, it can only serve as an anchor to slow down the progress of trying to move forward.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

The music school reference spans many stints of different athletic directors, so to say he's at fault for the reference is misguided for your rage over someone who is no longer with the department. Let the past go, it can only serve as an anchor to slow down the progress of trying to move forward.

I never said your guy had anything to do with us being a music school....

He just took advantage of it, since he got 15 years to be the AD here. The BOR made it very clear that all he had to do was stay in budget. If he needed more, he had the UNT 17 to pay for stuff while he promised them extra access and attention. I’m sure you wished you could’ve been a part of that group.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I never said your guy had anything to do with us being a music school....

He just took advantage of it, since he got 15 years to be the AD here. The BOR made it very clear that all he had to do was stay in budget. If he needed more, he had the UNT 17 to pay for stuff while he promised them extra access and attention. I’m sure you wished you could’ve been a part of that group.

Not to burst your bubble, but big money donors will always get first dibs on the juicy details/benefits. That's just how the business works. You want to know who got to see the renderings of the new IPF first? I'll give you three guesses but I bet you'll only need one.

I'm sure WB is expected to stay in budget as well. You tend to not go very far when you have constant budget overflows, which is a metric leadership at all levels is measured on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Not to burst your bubble, but big money donors will always get first dibs on the juicy details/benefits. That's just how the business works. You want to know who got to see the renderings of the new IPF first? I'll give you three guesses but I bet you'll only need one.

I'm sure WB is expected to stay in budget as well. You tend to not go very far when you have constant budget overflows, which is a metric leadership at all levels is measured on.

E-defend RV, pal...that’s certainly not a role too many would still take here in 2017, so good job!!

See, most people think WB is a great change because he’s trying this new approach of actually attempting to increase attendance and revenue. RV was the laziest AD America, so this place was a perfect fit for him until the day finally arrived when the realities of his ineptitude finally caught up to him.

• Downvote 6

Just now, untjim1995 said:

E-defend RV, pal...that’s certainly not a role too many would still take here in 2017, so good job!!

See, most people think WB is a great change because he’s trying this new approach of actually attempting to increase attendance and revenue. RV was the laziest AD America, so this place was a perfect fit for him until the day finally arrived when the realities of his ineptitude finally caught up to him.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, buddy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

I’d end an debate that way, too, if my stance was to defend RV as not being a suitable scapegoat for a program that was completely decimated by his hire...

I mean, it could always be worse for us. Just look at Baylor. At least that never happened here, so I'd say we're far from decimated.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

19 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I mean, it could always be worse for us. Just look at Baylor. At least that never happened here, so I'd say we're far from decimated.

Helluva bar you’re raising there to jump over...at least we haven’t allowed rapists to be on our team!! That’s the visionary leadership and legacy of RV’s Time here....

• Downvote 2

RV and Benford did us no favors and it is embarrassment to UNT to be ranked so low.  The more I look at the list and see some of the teams ahead of us (some I have never heard of) makes my blood boil.  I attended games last year for UNT not Benford.  I refused to buy season tickets but bought game day tickets.  I can't believe Wren had to look at the program for a year and make an evaluation of Benford.  I guess the bright spot we can only go up from here.  I hope coach Mac has some magic and we are able to wins some big road games since we have none at home. I did buy season tickets this year, seven rows up at mid court. That tells you how few season tickets are out there. It may take coach mac longer to turn this ship around, first we have to get the boat off the bottom.   Here is hoping for a new year and a new beginning.  Oh yeah I do stand up basketball games and yell but there was little to get excited about last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Helluva bar you’re raising there to jump over...at least we haven’t allowed rapists to be on our team!! That’s the visionary leadership and legacy of RV’s Time here....

You set the bar pretty low yourself plus stated the opinion we were "decimated." I merely said things could always be worse from what we have and provided an example.

Again, you need to let go of the past and try, please try, to look forward towards the future. It's already looking to be at least a little bit better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Who cares were NT is rated?  What did you expect?

I think NT will be much improved,  but NT is just an unknown at this point.   The coach is gone along with a lot of the team.  Most that do these lists are not going to look at a lot more than last year's record and maybe returning players.  

We can't fire RV twice and if Baker had hired a permanent coach, I doubt if he could have hired someone close to McCasland. 

As far as the musician reference, the writer was just trying to put some humor into his predictions.   Having a great music department is a big plus for the University.  

The positive is, basketball programs are a lot easier to turn around than football.