Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award "Great Eight" list

brooks91

5 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Yea but Devlin Isadore.... haha, j/k kids

Yes, a certain young poster that has been banned said that Fine hadn't shown him anything yet (as a freshman + a game or two), but that Isadore DESERVED to be in the hunt for the starting job because Fine just wasn't that good...

#whoops

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Yes, a certain young poster that has been banned said that Fine hadn't shown him anything yet (as a freshman + a game or two), but that Isadore DESERVED to be in the hunt for the starting job because Fine just wasn't that good...

#whoops

To be fair I was a massive Fine detractor as well. After everything he's done this season, he's our foreseeable starter for the next 2.5 years and a pretty damn good one.

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

To be fair I was a massive Fine detractor as well. After everything he's done this season, he's our foreseeable starter for the next 2.5 years and a pretty damn good one.

I felt at the beginning of the year that Fine would improve greatly as a sophomore if only because he got baptized under fire last year, particularly with a brand new head coach and a brand new OC.

• Upvote 2

Now if we can just get the WBAP (TCU homers) morning guys to admit there is a local Metroplex university with almost 40,000 students & over a quarter million alums that ain't doing that bad on the gridiron. 

Also have a pretty fair QB, too.

Don't hold breath? 😆

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Now if we can just get the WBAP (TCU homers) morning guys to admit there is a local Metroplex university with almost 40,000 students & over a quarter million alums that ain't doing that bad on the gridiron. 

Also have a pretty fair QB, too.

Don't hold breath? 😆

Hell, listening to the Ticket this morning with TWO UNT alums talking about college football and not even a hint of breath even mentioned us...All Big XII, Texas A&M and SEC, then the rest of the Power Conferences...because Pac 12 football really matters to us in Texas...

And then Norm mentions us today by basically saying that winning 7 or more games at UNT will garner Seth Littrell interest from the folks higher up the foodchain...

Apparently nothing really good for UNT happened this past weekend...

If anyone doubts the mountain that our program has to climb, the reminders are all over the place. The AD markets better than ever for a big game at our house between us and an in-state conference rival for first place and it gets us about 16-18k in butts in seats for a night game on Texas-OU weekend. We win a thrilling last second game, and get no mention on DFW Sports radio about it that is more than a few seconds. We got to 4-2 for the first time in almost 40 years, and all we get to hear from the DFW media is that it means our coach will get hired away for pulling off a miracle. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Can we not have any threads on possibly losing our HFC?  Pretty please? 💚

Back in the day Boise lost about 6 HFC's in about a 14 year stretch  but maintained their annual Top 25 program.  I admire that program greatly. Sometimes even wish about 4 Texas CUSA schools were in their conference, but I'm in the minority on that idea, too.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Can we not have any threads on possibly losing our HFC?  Pretty please? 💚

Back in the day Boise lost about 6 HFC's in about a 14 year stretch  but maintained their annual Top 25 program.  I admire that program greatly. Sometimes even wish about 4 Texas CUSA schools were in their conference, but I'm in the minority on that idea, too.

GMG!

I would love the western exposure.  I think getting on late TV regularly for away games against San Diego State, Boise State and Hawaii could do wonders for the program.  College football fans are so dense around here your program could win 10 games every year but if you aren’t on ESPN regularly you suck.  That it why it better for totally irrelevant bottom feeder  P5 programs to get destroyed regularly on TV than to drop to CUSA and others to actually have a shot at a winning record every year.  However I would prefer to leave UTSA or Rice out of the MWC.   Either one could be a special OCG rivalry like SMU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Hell, listening to the Ticket this morning with TWO UNT alums talking about college football and not even a hint of breath even mentioned us...All Big XII, Texas A&M and SEC, then the rest of the Power Conferences...because Pac 12 football really matters to us in Texas...

And then Norm mentions us today by basically saying that winning 7 or more games at UNT will garner Seth Littrell interest from the folks higher up the foodchain...

Apparently nothing really good for UNT happened this past weekend...

If anyone doubts the mountain that our program has to climb, the reminders are all over the place. The AD markets better than ever for a big game at our house between us and an in-state conference rival for first place and it gets us about 16-18k in butts in seats for a night game on Texas-OU weekend. We win a thrilling last second game, and get no mention on DFW Sports radio about it that is more than a few seconds. We got to 4-2 for the first time in almost 40 years, and all we get to hear from the DFW media is that it means our coach will get hired away for pulling off a miracle. 

Well, until recently, how many great decisions have our administrators made in the last 40 years? Why should we expect a lot of spotlights and special reports on us after six weeks, when 4-2 would be a so-so year for TCU?

The recent failure of the Talons' sponsor to recognize a great opportunity to show the colors, and wave our very distinctive flag, when ESPN game day originated from TCU on the Saturday of our bye week, shows we've got a ways to go in promoting ourselves. 

On 10/18/2017 at 12:18 AM, GangGreen said:

Don't worry, I don't think we will have the choice or power to invite ourselves or keep anybody out.

I agree it is just me dreaming getting my preference.  With OCG and a cooperative rival you make a special schedule.  Like I would like to see a Halloween week scheduling tradition with UTSA.  The closer to Halloween the better and switched to Thursday or Friday night if that happens to be the night Halloween falls on that year.  Maybe CUSA would allow up to work that out in conference but they have to consider the rest of the league before granting us that scheduling privilege.  I think it is easier to tell a new conference that we have a traditional rival scheduled every Halloween week so we are not available for a conference game that week.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1