UTSA Fans discuss UNT game

Harry

6 hours ago, Volkmar said:

You make it sound as though the sole purpose of UTSA's establishment was UT overflow. That was far from being its main purpose. That's a fact. And while it apparently makes you feel better to talk down about a school that's nearly 80 years younger than UNT, we stand out among universities that are younger than 50 years old. Times Higher Education ranks us #4 in the USA among universities under 50 years old, as well as #68 in the world in the same category. They base their rankings on excellence in teaching, research, citations, international outlook, and industry income. UTSA scored particularly strong in the citations category, which measured research influence by examining the number of times a university's published research was cited by scholars around the world.

As a matter of fact, UTSA is indeed in the process of phasing out the CAP program in the next few years because of the adverse effect it has on our graduation rates. We've made a concerted effort in recent years to push for Tier One status through a host of measures including, but not limited to, making significant improvements to our infrastructure, and paying top dollars to hire nationally recognized researchers/faculty members, highly sought after in their fields, who joined UTSA from universities such as Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Stanford, Purdue, and MIT, and increasing entrance criteria. Our acceptance rate is currently at 60%, and our business school was named one of the top 5 undergraduate business programs in Texas by Bloomberg, and #10 in the nation for Hispanics. It's also ranked as one of the top ten MBA programs for minorities by the Princeton Review. We also have the #1 ranked Cyber-Security program in the nation. 

UNT was established in 1890, and UTSA didn't open its doors until 1969, so before you turn this into a pissing contest, understand that you've had about an 80-year head start to get your business in order, and I'm only here to defend my school's honor. I don't normally comment on other schools' pages, but I can't sit idly by while others disingenuously discredit the school I chose (and not by default) to earn my degree in. I'm nothing special, mind you, as I'm a middle school math teacher and coach, but I was born in Germany, learned English as a second language, and am very proud of my affiliation with the country of my birth, the USA which I'll proudly say I'm a naturalized citizen of, and my alma mater. We're definitely far from perfect, as your school is, and there's certainly always still room for improvement, but I think we're making pretty good progress for a young university.

Now, in regard to what this thread is really about, which is our impending football game, use your two weeks to prepare for us wisely, because I think you'll need it. 

I think our football team is just fine preparing for your community college.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Rowdy said:

This is what made me decide on UTSA.  There are lots of good schools in Texas, but this is what I wanted to go to school for so why go any where else?  

Absolutely.  Great program to hang your hat on.   With Equifax & Delloitte breaches recently coming to mind...   That is a great field to get into.  The need is certainly there.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Volkmar said:

You make it sound as though the sole purpose of UTSA's establishment was UT overflow. That was far from being its main purpose. That's a fact. And while it apparently makes you feel better to talk down about a school that's nearly 80 years younger than UNT, we stand out among universities that are younger than 50 years old. Times Higher Education ranks us #4 in the USA among universities under 50 years old, as well as #68 in the world in the same category. They base their rankings on excellence in teaching, research, citations, international outlook, and industry income. UTSA scored particularly strong in the citations category, which measured research influence by examining the number of times a university's published research was cited by scholars around the world.

As a matter of fact, UTSA is indeed in the process of phasing out the CAP program in the next few years because of the adverse effect it has on our graduation rates. We've made a concerted effort in recent years to push for Tier One status through a host of measures including, but not limited to, making significant improvements to our infrastructure, and paying top dollars to hire nationally recognized researchers/faculty members, highly sought after in their fields, who joined UTSA from universities such as Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Stanford, Purdue, and MIT, and increasing entrance criteria. Our acceptance rate is currently at 60%, and our business school was named one of the top 5 undergraduate business programs in Texas by Bloomberg, and #10 in the nation for Hispanics. It's also ranked as one of the top ten MBA programs for minorities by the Princeton Review. We also have the #1 ranked Cyber-Security program in the nation. 

UNT was established in 1890, and UTSA didn't open its doors until 1969, so before you turn this into a pissing contest, understand that you've had about an 80-year head start to get your business in order, and I'm only here to defend my school's honor. I don't normally comment on other schools' pages, but I can't sit idly by while others disingenuously discredit the school I chose (and not by default) to earn my degree in. I'm nothing special, mind you, as I'm a middle school math teacher and coach, but I was born in Germany, learned English as a second language, and am very proud of my affiliation with the country of my birth, the USA which I'll proudly say I'm a naturalized citizen of, and my alma mater. We're definitely far from perfect, as your school is, and there's certainly always still room for improvement, but I think we're making pretty good progress for a young university.

Now, in regard to what this thread is really about, which is our impending football game, use your two weeks to prepare for us wisely, because I think you'll need it. 

UNT is a great institution that has several nationally ranked programs. I am extremely happy with my time there and the opportunities it created. I can appreciate a school's academic accomplishments so thank you for highlighting some of UTSA's. I appreciate the well put together post.

However, your fellow alumni aren't exactly being cordial so what else do you expect? I actually don't mind the chatter because this is everything that makes a rivalry. I wouldn't take any of this personal just like I don't take anything on UTSA's board personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac290 View Post
GMG has gone to insulting how UTSA was founded back in '69 on their boards. Gems like UTSA was founded in a Safeway. 
I just love those sister-banging retards over there.
What is cUNT known for academically? Music? 

Neeexxxxttt...

To be fair, I've lived in Texas for thirteen years now.  Until UTSA got a football team, I had no idea the school existed.  Since UTSA has gotten a football team, I've not heard of any of their academic programs until the cyber security mentioned in this thread.  

I looked up both schools in US News and World Reports.  Neither one is exactly a world beater in anything.  Median income for new grads at UTSA is $46,000.  Median income for new grads from UNT is $45,000.  So both are good, solid undergrad degrees that will get you out there working and earning a fair living. 

I held no ill will toward UTSA for starting a football program.  

I have held ill will for some of the fan encounters I've had and for some of the player behavior I've seen.  I try to consider these fan encounters isolated incidents and not representative of the school as a whole.  The player behavior though, rests solidly on the tolerances of the program. 

UTSA has been doing it quick and dirty, and if I take a step back and look at it objectively, I don't know if that's sustainable.  They're still G5, and if they misstep, the NCAA will not hesitate to bring down the hammer.  

Given personal experiences, there are two road games that I think I'm done traveling to -- SMU and UTSA.  But if it makes anybody feel better, my hatred meter for SMU is off the charts greater than it is for UTSA. 

• Lovely Take 2
  • Sad 1

Many of us recognize that UTSA has just taken advantage of their many resources to jumpstart their program the way it has. They learned from a lot of folks on what to do (USF, UCF) and what not to do (us) when moving up to FBS in an urban area. They are in a destination city with absolutely no local competition, much like USF and UCF, that has some civic pride to it. They use that location to attract solid OOC games. They hired a coach with skins on the wall to start the program from scratch and then made a shrewd hire with great recruiting ties in Frank Wilson, who will probably be coaching in the SEC very soon.

I never thought I'd see that day that anyone would care so much about beating us, but UTSA sure does. We are their Super bowl. They look at beating us as the way to show everyone in the state that they are clearly ahead of us on the FBS totem pole. Beating us here in 2013 to keep us from winning the Western Division will always mean a ton to them. What sucks for us is that they already have support from the SMUs and UHs of the FBS world to move into the AAC at the first opportunity, while we don't have that chance, all due to location. And when the day rolls around that the Power Leagues finally pull away, most likely after the Big XII dissolves here in about 8 years or so, but keep the MWC and AAC as their "allowed" OOC games, getting into one of those leagues will be a dream for any MAC, CUSA, and SBC team--UTSA will be the most likely team in CUSA to get to do that, along with MUTS. 

I still think that MWC and AAC will absorb these schools into their leagues: Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, and Kansas State. Each league will have space left for two spots if they feel that 16 teams is the place to end up. If TCU and Baylor go west, while ISU and KSU go east (remember that Wichita State is now AAC in everything, so KSU would at least have an instate rival for hoops), and if they go to 16, who would the MWC and AAC look at from the lower G5s? My guess is the MWC gets UTSA and UTEP, while the AAC adds in NIU and MUTS. CUSA would have easy replacements for those three teams in NMSU and Texas State in the west, while replacing MUTS with Arkansas State or another big city school, such as Georgia State in Atlanta, since we apparently like big TV markets. And then the SBC adds in SHSU and SFA in the Texas market, while adding in Liberty in the East.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I don't care what you guys say, there is just something I don't trust about Frank Wilson:

NAVSiiu.png

Love this. Funny stuff right there. 

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I never thought I'd see that day that anyone would care so much about beating us, but UTSA sure does. We are their Super bowl. They look at beating us as the way to show everyone in the state that they are clearly ahead of us on the FBS totem pole. Beating us here in 2013 to keep us from winning the Western Division will always mean a ton to them.

Absolutely not true. Without intending to sound rude, don't flatter yourself. We've only had football for 6 years, and are already 3-1 against you, so why would we consider you some sort of Super Bowl? I will say this though... In that first game between our programs in 2013, because it was our first meeting, and because you had a quality team that year, I think we did see you guys as a good measuring stick for our program. But since then, we've never again considered you as any sort of measuring stick, not even remotely close, and certainly never any sort of Super Bowl.

The source of our pleasure in beating you in 2013 is the smack talk that went on between our fan bases prior to that game, which was our first meeting. And make no mistake, it went both ways. We had some instigators on our side, and you did on your side, saying the same thing then that some of your fans still are now, which is that we don't belong on the same field, that we've earned nothing, etc. As a result, some of our fans have pretty much held a grudge since, as some of your fans have for us as well, for similar reasons. The fact that we won that game on your turf, ruined what would've been an undefeated season at home for you, assured ourselves of at least a .500 record after starting 2-5, and eliminated you from division championship contention all at the same time, just made it that much sweeter. Back then, in just our third year, it was certainly a nice feather in our cap, but not since. 

Edited by Volkmar
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Volkmar said:

Love this. Funny stuff right there. 

Absolutely not true. Without intending to sound rude, don't flatter yourself. We've only had football for 6 years, and are already 3-1 against you, so why would we consider you some sort of Super Bowl? I will say this though... In that first game between our programs in 2013, because it was our first meeting, and because you had a quality team that year, I think we did see you guys as a good measuring stick for our program. But since then, we've never again considered you as any sort of measuring stick, not even remotely close, and certainly never any sort of Super Bowl.

The source of our pleasure in beating you in 2013 is the smack talk that went on between our fan bases prior to that game, which was our first meeting. And make no mistake, it went both ways. We had some instigators on our side, and you did on your side, saying the same thing then that some of your fans still are now, which is that we don't belong on the same field, that we've earned nothing, etc. As a result, some of our fans have pretty much held a grudge since, as some of your fans have for us as well, for similar reasons. The fact that we won that game on your turf, ruined what would've been an undefeated season at home for you, assured ourselves of at least a .500 record after starting 2-5, and eliminated you from division championship contention all at the same time, just made it that much sweeter. Back then, in just our third year, it was certainly a nice feather in our cap, but not since. 

Reprise.......

#itsallajoke

You are the king of clowns