Noise Levels Revisited

EagleMBA

There have been discussions here about noise levels at the game, from the PA system and other sources. Last week I had my regular followup exam with my audiologist, where he tests me and scolds me about my hearing-damaging activities and using ear protection. He insisted I download a free app to my android smartphone called "Starkey Sound Check" so I could monitor sound levels. I have no idea how scientifically precise the readings it displays are, but I thought I would share some observations I made last night during the game. These observations were made from my seat in sec 207, approximately half-way up the alumni side at about the 48-yard line.

Boomer registered 100 db consistently, but it was a spike.  The Green Brigade halftime show registered a sustained 96 db during the performance.  The video board displayed readings from 85 to 97 db.  The PA Announcer and the music played over the speakers ranged from 95 to 103 db consistently and prolonged.

I am hoarse today because of trying to have conversations with others over the PA sound. The following is a randomly-researched article link that would indicate those measured levels, if accurate,  might be harmful with prolonged exposure...http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/harmful-noise-levels-topic-overview

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly servant. In no way do I want to stir up a bunch of crap. Your mileage may vary, which is why I posted the location where I took these readings.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

The in game experience is getting very unorganized and uncoordinated. The PA announcer was having to speak over loud PA music.  The band started trying to play when the sideline entertainment announcer was about to announce a contest.  The officials having to tell the cheerleaders to get off the field so play could resume.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

The North Texas chant was almost non-existent until the latter part of the 4th quarter. And weak.  If the scoreboard is showing a player starting the chant, they should have coordinated it with the 80+ cheerleaders on the field.

The student side tried to start it up at one point...while UNT was on offense.  

Maybe until our fan base becomes more football savvy, we should incorporate some of the scoreboard graphics that some of the NFL teams have resorted to:

quietsign.jpg

1281378627_ef2f5f208d.jpg

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1