It is 12:03pm on Monday. Time to put SMU Behind Us.

UNTLifer

Iowa is a big strong Big 10 school with a shaky QB and a stud RB, Wadley.  If we can stop him we could keep it close.  Their defensive front seven is pretty stout.  I see us recovering from the SMU mess and this being a competitive ballgame.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

This will be interesting--Iowa just won their rivalry game with ISU in OT, while we got our asses handed to us in our rivalry game. We will play better, while Iowa may have some hangover from the last week. I think it will be much more competitive than the last time we went to Iowa City under Metamucil Mac, when we lost 62-16...which means we will be in this game for about a quarter or more, then get body bag'd to the tune of about 48-20.

Just don't get hurt and make sure the funds get wired to the right account....that is all that these games are good for right now for good ol' North Texas.

• Upvote 2

Agree that you guys will be much more competitive this time around.  Hopefully not too competitive, but enough to get us as ready as we can be for Penn St.  We're gonna need all the help we can get there.  Safe travels for those making the journey north and hope both teams stay healthy.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Iowa is a big strong Big 10 school with a shaky QB and a stud RB, Wadley.  If we can stop him we could keep it close.  Their defensive front seven is pretty stout.  I see us recovering from the SMU mess and this being a competitive ballgame.

Shaky QB?

I would agree with shaky secondary.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PGriffin1986 said:

We will shut North Texas out until we pull our starters.  

Final score will be high 40s-low 50s for Iowa; single digits for North Texas.

Looks like your defense is susceptible to a good runner, as Montgomery did pretty well against you.   I like our RB better than Montgomery.    I suppose you're likening us to Wyoming?   Wyoming has no run game.  This will not be that kind of game. 

Your defensive starters will still be in during the 1st quarter & the final score will not feature UNT with only a single digit (even if only because our offense will score on your 2/3's).
You're not going to find many here who will predict a UNT win, but we'll put up a much better effort than Wyoming did, of that, I'm sure.  

• Lovely Take 1

12 minutes ago, PGriffin1986 said:

We will shut North Texas out until we pull our starters.  

Final score will be high 40s-low 50s for Iowa; single digits for North Texas.

You're getting silly.  Iowa will win; it probably won't be terribly competitive for much more than a half; but y'all had way too much trouble with Iowa State to think that you will beat us by more than 4 TDs.

• Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Looks like your defense is susceptible to a good runner, as Montgomery did pretty well against you.   I like our RB better than Montgomery.    I suppose you're likening us to Wyoming?   Wyoming has no run game.  This will not be that kind of game. 

Your defensive starters will still be in during the 1st quarter & the final score will not feature UNT with only a single digit (even if only because our offense will score on your 2/3's).
You're not going to find many here who will predict a UNT win, but we'll put up a much better effort than Wyoming did, of that, I'm sure.  

You do realize that this is the Wyoming that has Craig Bohl as coach (NDSU fame) and Josh Allen at QB? Based on their first 2 games, they've clearly lost something from their offense a year ago, when they were a top 25 nationally ranked offense.  Still, I expect us to get blown the eff out.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, TIgreen01 said:

You do realize that this is the Wyoming that has Craig Bohl as coach (NDSU fame) and Josh Allen at QB?  Clearly they must have lost something from their offense a year ago, when they were a top 25 nationally ranked offense.  Still, I expect us to get blown the eff out.

Yes.  I know about Allen.  Iowa was able to key on the pass because WY's run-game was non-existent.   Wilson is an effective runner.  Iowa will respect him.  Once they do, it will be up to Mason & the receivers to spread the ball around.

And I do too, just not like IA-WY.

9 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

You do realize that this is the Wyoming that has Craig Bohl as coach (NDSU fame) and Josh Allen at QB?  Clearly they must have lost something from their offense a year ago, when they were a top 25 nationally ranked offense.  Still, I expect us to get blown the eff out.

They lost their best WR, TE and RB.  No running game whatsoever.  Allen is a great QB, but Iowa took away the big play (which ironically, they didn't vs. ISU).

Montgomery is one of the better RBs I've seen vs Iowa the past few years (along with Barkley and a couple others), so if your guy is better than him then color me very impressed.

Edited by KnightHawk21

1 minute ago, KnightHawk21 said:

Montgomery is one of the better RBs I've seen vs Iowa the past few  years, so if you're guy is better than him then color me very impressed.

It's the same guy who ran for 74 and caught 23 more against you in 2015 (a season we all want to forget around here) as a Sophomore.  Basically, the only thing we had going OK for us that day.
This is a very different team than the 2015 squad.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes.  I know about Allen.  Iowa was able to key on the pass because WY's run-game was non-existent.   Wilson is an effective runner.  Iowa will respect him.  Once they do, it will be up to Mason & the receivers to spread the ball around.

And I do too, just not like IA-WY.

Wilson is a stud, but I remember very few body bag games when our oline was able to effectively run-block.  The last one I really remember us doing well in was Clemson in the Dodge days.  

The IA-WY game was 24-3.  Based on what I just saw against dirty schmoo, I'd be happy with that score.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's the same guy who ran for 74 and caught 23 more against you in 2015 (a season we all want to forget around here) as a Sophomore.  Basically, the only thing we had going OK for us that day.
This is a very different team than the 2015 squad.

Understand and expect this one to be a lot closer than the last, and likely still a close game at the half.  I think we have way too much run game for UNT to hang the entire game, but stranger things have happened for sure.

• Upvote 1

SMU easily contained your run game.  So, what you are trying to convince me is that our defense is worse than SMU's.  

This is a game where we will only have to play our starters for two and a half quarters, then pull them to rest up for Penn State next week.

What you do the last quarter and a half against our back ups is insignificant.  We will be far enough ahead for whatever it is.

Best of luck with minimal injuries; but, the game will not be competitive.  Wyoming and Iowa State are a rung or two up the ladder from you all.

• Haha 1

I fully expect a similar style SMU beat down. Don't kid yourselves. 

I'm just looking at the team's preparedness. As long as they don't blatantly beat themselves and avoid injury, I'll be content. Zero coaching blunders. Collect the paycheck and get the hell out of there...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PGriffin1986 said:

SMU easily contained your run game.  So, what you are trying to convince me is that our defense is worse than SMU's.  

This is a game where we will only have to play our starters for two and a half quarters, then pull them to rest up for Penn State next week.

What you do the last quarter and a half against our back ups is insignificant.  We will be far enough ahead for whatever it is.

Best of luck with minimal injuries; but, the game will not be competitive.  Wyoming and Iowa State are a rung or two up the ladder from you all.

lol we're arguing how badly we will or won't get beaten. 

Did the check clear for NDSU? We've got some new facilities we need to pay for.

5 minutes ago, PGriffin1986 said:

So you're backpedaling now?

Wuss.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, KnightHawk21 said:

Understand and expect this one to be a lot closer than the last, and likely still a close game at the half.  I think we have way too much run game for UNT to hang the entire game, but stranger things have happened for sure.

I agree.  I expect Wadley, and whoever your 2nd-stringer is, to have a big day against us, as our 3-man front is not big enough to demand any double-teams from your OL, and our LBs are not good enough to get off blocks from your OL coming upfield either.  Our secondary will be forced to make a lot of tackles.  Something they can do, but that's always a bad statistic when your safeties are your leading tacklers.

2 minutes ago, PGriffin1986 said:

We ran just fine against SMU early on.   Their All-American WR blew us up early... as he would your no-name secondary (I mean, at least we have a guy on the Thorpe award watch list).
He's something you guys simply don't have.   When a dude like that puts you in a 28pt hole on his own, you kinda have to start passing to give yourself a chance to get out... something we couldn't do, and I don't expect to do it against you guys either.   I do, however, expect to be able to run the ball effectively.   Not as effectively as you guys against us, but enough to keep it somewhat close early on.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I agree.  I expect Wadley, and whoever your 2nd-stringer is, to have a big day against us, as our 3-man front is not big enough to demand any double-teams from your OL, and our LBs are not good enough to get off blocks from your OL coming upfield either.  Our secondary will be forced to make a lot of tackles.  Something they can do, but that's always a bad statistic when your safeties are your leading tacklers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Butler  (#2 RB) to get more carries than Wadley in this one.  Butler is a good one and had 1300+ yards each of his prior two years at Nevada (grad transfer).

• Upvote 1