Wow! Volvo going hybrid/electric only?

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Meh. Until I can recharge an electric in 5 minutes like I can refuel my truck and travel further than 100 miles, all electric is a non-starter for me.

Whenever they become more ubiquitous, users will be doing a full charge at home.  5 minute "fill ups" will still be typical as you're out-and-about, because you'll probably only need it to drive that final leg back to the home.

Obviously the dynamics of this change if you are a long-distance driver, like for work trips around Texas.

Edited by greenminer

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

Whenever they become more ubiquitous, users will be doing a full charge at home.  5 minute "fill ups" will still be typical as you're out-and-about, because you'll probably only need it to drive that final leg back to the home.

Obviously the dynamics of this change if you are a long-distance driver, like for work.

All electric is good for running errands around town but for long haul drives, hybrid or all gas is the way to go.

3 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

All electric is good for running errands around town but for long haul drives, hybrid or all gas is the way to go.

The current fleet of non-Tesla EVs are unacceptable for 100-ish mile trips, unless you're okay with re-charging along the way.  Every month, I have to make 2-4 trips that are each about 70-100 miles sum.

I think when 200+ miles/charge becomes the norm (and prices drop for 200+ models), you'll see EVs start getting serious consideration if they aren't already.

It sounds like you do a lot of long hauls.

Another thing I've thought of, being that I drive occasional long trips:

The fuel savings of a pure electric might one day be enough to offset the cost of simply renting a combustion when needed.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The current fleet of non-Tesla EVs are unacceptable for 100-ish mile trips, unless you're okay with re-charging along the way.  Every month, I have to make 2-4 trips that are each about 70-100 miles sum.

I think when 200+ miles/charge becomes the norm (and prices drop for 200+ models), you'll see EVs start getting serious consideration if they aren't already.

It's not hard to ring up 100 miles in a day in DFW.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

Another thing I've thought of, being that I drive occasional long trips:

The fuel savings of a pure electric might one day be enough to offset the cost of simply renting a combustion when needed.

Chevy Bolt, 238 miles per charge. Motortrends car of the year.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-ev-2017-car-of-the-year/

And for all the former hippies out there, VW is going to bring back the mini-bus as an all-electric.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/06/20/vw-microbus-to-return-as-d-buzz-electric-minivan.html

And motorcycles are joining the trend.

http://www.motorcycle.com/categories/electric

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

I could see having a single EV for commuting and local travel and a second gas vehicle for longer drives. It will be interesting to see how the auto industry pivots around this in the coming years, but right now, they are just not practical for a lot of people.

Also, 200 miles plus on a charge is pretty standard for EVs these days.

I think one thing people aren't taking into account is that in order to take advantage of a rapid charging system, you need two 120-volt side-by-side breaker openings per charge system. If your breaker box is near or at capacity, you'll need a new bigger panel installed, which is easily several thousand dollars plus new circuit(s) installed for the charge system(s).

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2

I like the idea, and I really like the Tesla autopilot that's already in place, but even making a run up to Winstar is a risky endeavor under current limitations, and I'm too much of a spontaneous roadtripper.  

On an unrelated note, my college girlfriend drove a Volvo.  I have a lot of fun memories with that particular make of vehicle.  A lot of fun memories. 

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

I think one thing people aren't taking into account is that in order to take advantage of a rapid charging system, you need two 120-volt side-by-side breaker openings per charge system. If your breaker box is near or at capacity, you'll need a new bigger panel installed, which is easily several thousand dollars plus new circuit(s) installed for the charge system(s).

Do not bother the environmentalists with details/cost analysis.  For them, it's just another thing the government should subsidize. 

No telling how much tax dollar has already been thrown to these companies - which is why they're in no hurry.  They know that just enough people can be fleeced into thinking this will happen during their lifetime.  Al Gore, who was already rich, has become mega rich fleecing environmentally soft people. 

Sometimes, I think its hard to tell the difference between environmentalists and evangelists.  Both are always urgently selling something that they claim will make you better if you just invest in it...and, turn against you if you don't invest in it. 

To me, you can respect the environment without being a kook; same with believing in God/Jesus/what have you.

I have a hard and fast life rule for these types of things: the harder they are selling it, the more phony it is.

I take this approach in the life insurance aspect of my business.  I'd love to sell you a $1 million policy; but, you probably can't comfortably budget it.  So, instead, I suggest initially just buying an amount that will pay to bury you and eliminate the mortgage on your home.  And...there's no angle to where I can get the government to subsidize your personal life insurance policy.

(Plus...why do want to leave your wife a fat wad of cash if you die, anyway?  Hasn't she spent enough of your dough while you were alive!  ...

...it's a joke, it's a joke...please, don't inundate me with, "that's sexist" yammering.  I already know.  Lighten up, please.) 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Do not bother the environmentalists with details/cost analysis.  For them, it's just another thing the government should subsidize. 

No telling how much tax dollar has already been thrown to these companies - which is why they're in no hurry.  They know that just enough people can be fleeced into thinking this will happen during their lifetime.  Al Gore, who was already rich, has become mega rich fleecing environmentally soft people. 

Sometimes, I think its hard to tell the difference between environmentalists and evangelists.  Both are always urgently selling something that they claim will make you better if you just invest in it...and, turn against you if you don't invest in it. 

To me, you can respect the environment without being a kook; same with believing in God/Jesus/what have you.

I have a hard and fast life rule for these types of things: the harder they are selling it, the more phony it is.

I take this approach in the life insurance aspect of my business.  I'd love to sell you a $1 million policy; but, you probably can't comfortably budget it.  So, instead, I suggest initially just buying an amount that will pay to bury you and eliminate the mortgage on your home.  And...there's no angle to where I can get the government to subsidize your personal life insurance policy.

(Plus...why do want to leave your wife a fat wad of cash if you die, anyway?  Hasn't she spent enough of your dough while you were alive!  ...

...it's a joke, it's a joke...please, don't inundate me with, "that's sexist" yammering.  I already know.  Lighten up, please.) 

While obviously not applying to you I must say LIfe Insurance has a reputation for high pressure sales. Though nothing and I mean NOTHING compares to the guy that I invited in to sell me a water softener.  I told the guy an hour later if he did not leave I would be calling the cops.