From the Desk of Wren Baker

Cerebus

4 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Speaking of, don't you have some more specious 'insight' to share? Like a reusing Fouts turf or some inside knowledge from a class that directly contradicts something put out my Smatresk?

Such as what? 

The joke about reusing turf since people are so worried about budgets in the AD Office

What contradicts what NS has said? That we will eventually be replacing the SP? The number of seats( where has NS said this?) 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I bet the folks at TCU will answer your calls.  Give them a shout...

Already have. They answered on the first ring. If you were smarter you would have deduced that since I knew their season ticket prices. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Already have. They answered on the first ring. If you were smarter you would have deduced that since I knew their season ticket prices. ?

Could it be that they answered the phone because they weren't doing anything?

and UNT doesn't answer it because they are busy working? or maybe they just have a certain number blacklisted so it keeps ringing?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

If you have a department size of, say 10 people and cut it down to 7, those 7 people are now doing the work of those 10. Maybe the 3 let go weren't pulling their weight and the loss isn't too bad but it's still more work for the other 7. Sadly, one of the people let go was the only one who did a certain task and now someone has to learn how to do that, which takes away time from doing other important things. Since you're busy just trying to keep things afloat, they let their email and VMs pile up to when they feel like they have more "spare" time to knock out that kind of stuff.

Maybe I can say stuff like that because I've lived it where I work? I've had teammates let go yet the amount of work the team was expected to get done stayed the same. Less important tasks were shelved until more time to get those kinds of things became available. Email is the easiest thing to ignore. I could always let a phone call slide and claim ignorance that I had stepped away from my desk for a few minutes while I worked on something that has a pressing deadline. Thank goodness for things like caller ID, right? If you really want to talk to me, come to my desk.

What are you talking about?  What cut down in department? You seem to be creating a box, we don't have to live in. 

I am saying hire a new 10, they were doing horrible to begin with. Not only did many fans have horrible service, scheduling and more the Report done last summer verified all that and lots more. 

2 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

What are you talking about?  What cut down in department? You seem to be creating a box, we don't have to live in. 

I am saying hire a new 10, they were doing horrible to begin with. Not only did many fans have horrible service, scheduling and more the Report done last summer verified all that and lots more. 

Just to jump in because I'm wondering...

But how does the hiring process work for the ticket office and other branches of the AD Office.. I'm assuming WB and Mosley and high ranking people are on contracts, but I'm also assuming that the person answering the phones is just someone random working for x dollars an hour without having a contract?

What I don't get also, is everyone talked about how easy it was to renew/ buy HoD tickets and season tickets. I'm going to assume that they have less people working now because of the drop in # of sports and fans attending the sports that are currently going on. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Just to jump in because I'm wondering...

But how does the hiring process work for the ticket office and other branches of the AD Office.. I'm assuming WB and Mosley and high ranking people are on contracts, but I'm also assuming that the person answering the phones is just someone random working for x dollars an hour without having a contract?

What I don't get also, is everyone talked about how easy it was to renew/ buy HoD tickets and season tickets. I'm going to assume that they have less people working now because of the drop in # of sports and fans attending the sports that are currently going on. 

They actually did change some things over in the ticket office, I am worried about others. 

1 minute ago, KingDL1 said:

I was just trying to address your scenario with a hypothetical that lines up with some experiences I've had with RIFs.

FWIW, the position of "Director for the Mean Green Club" has been open since around August of 2016. The job posting is still open on the UNT Jobs site. If we laid off people today, there's no certainty those positions will be filled immediately, like you are implying. It would likely take months to fill the position and depending on the quality of the candidate pool, take months after the person is hired to adequately do their job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, KingDL1 said:

They actually did change some things over in the ticket office, I am worried about others. 

I haven't dealt with the ticket office, but for the most part everyone has had a good experience with them.. A few issues, but those were correct from posts people had made. So I'm assuming outside of this rumored no one picking up by 90, is it stuff in the ticket office?

Emailing WB the problem or concern, will lead to you getting a reply back as well and you putting light on a problem that he or someone on the staff can/will fix. 

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

I haven't dealt with the ticket office, but for the most part everyone has had a good experience with them.. A few issues, but those were correct from posts people had made. So I'm assuming outside of this rumored no one picking up by 90, is it stuff in the ticket office?

Emailing WB the problem or concern, will lead to you getting a reply back as well and you putting light on a problem that he or someone on the staff can/will fix. 

Nah, it is easier to just sit here and bitch.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I was just trying to address your scenario with a hypothetical that lines up with some experiences I've had with RIFs.

FWIW, the position of "Director for the Mean Green Club" has been open since around August of 2016. The job posting is still open on the UNT Jobs site. If we laid off people today, there's no certainty those positions will be filled immediately, like you are implying. It would likely take months to fill the position and depending on the quality of the candidate pool, take months after the person is hired to adequately do their job.

Also, I know its recent (and unlikely) and most likely doesn't affect the AD office but could the recent hiring freeze have something to do with these openings still possibly being open? 

Interesting that a post that started as a list of things that the department is working on and trying to communicate to the fans has turned into this. Wren and the rest of the staff he brought in have a lot of experience in this business. They know what a good employee looks like, what an employee that needs more direction and support looks like, what a bad employee looks like, etc. I would assume that there are things going on that don't really fit into a positive letter to the fans about what is happening on Bonnie Brae. If you want all the info on the dirty laundry, it looks like there are some jobs open in the department. Apply and right the ship.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

Also, I know its recent (and unlikely) and most likely doesn't affect the AD office but could the recent hiring freeze have something to do with these openings still possibly being open? 

Well, the position was vacated right before Wren arrived, so that likely played a factor in getting a job request created immediately. Most companies pull job applications for positions that are frozen, so it's difficult to say whether the hiring freeze has affected filling this position or not. If this freeze has affected getting the position filled, they'll likely have stale applications to go through which only adds time to process.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Nah, it is easier to just sit here and bitch.

LOL i guess...

Honestly, WB has talked about how he likes to use social media and that to connect with people... People need to embrace it and if they are having issues bring it up to WB. Yes, he has been here 5 or 6 months, and he has done somethings and evaluated parts of the AD Office, but he isn't able to do everything. 

Letting the AD Office know about problems that we run into need to be passed on, if it minor stuff WB will pass it along and get it fixed, and if it something major he will have someone look into it, if not himself.

We have to remember that he inherited this staff, and I would assume that we see some or alot of movement during the summer. I do agree and would think that replacing some people now would be good so you aren't training everyone completely from the start at the same time. But I would assume it may have to do with having to possibly a budget that people could be owed separation pay if they are fired/ laid off and he doesn't wanna pay them and hire someone as well (Just a thought but no idea how the hiring process works in these offices)

But again, if people have problems with something in the AD Office, Email WB... he will reply back with a message or forward it to the correct person.. If that person, doesn't help then contact WB again. 

10 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Are pointing you to me? 

I think they meant UNT90 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Well, the position was vacated right before Wren arrived, so that likely played a factor in getting a job request created immediately. Most companies pull job applications for positions that are frozen, so it's difficult to say whether the hiring freeze has affected filling this position or not. If this freeze has affected getting the position filled, they'll likely have stale applications to go through which only adds time to process.

I would assume that when WB came in, people that he would want were already locked into there jobs at other schools and weren't going to leave. 

The hires like Mosley, Peek, and the lady for the AD Budget (came from AAC conference, i believe) were in jobs that they were able to leave a lot easier than another schools AD Offices. 

I'm assuming that some people will not be back/ contracts renewed (if they are on contracts) as WB brings in his own people. I'm assuming like the GMC Director is a spot that he would want to bring in someone he has known from a previous stop that could/would lead to better relations with members in the GMC and lead to an increase in donations and membership. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I would assume that when WB came in, people that he would want were already locked into there jobs at other schools and weren't going to leave. 

The hires like Mosley, Peek, and the lady for the AD Budget (came from AAC conference, i believe) were in jobs that they were able to leave a lot easier than another schools AD Offices. 

I'm assuming that some people will not be back/ contracts renewed (if they are on contracts) as WB brings in his own people. I'm assuming like the GMC Director is a spot that he would want to bring in someone he has known from a previous stop that could/would lead to better relations with members in the GMC and lead to an increase in donations and membership. 

The requirements for the MGC Director aren't earth shattering -- Bachelor's degree and a few years of related job experience. 

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

The requirements for the MGC Director aren't earth shattering -- Bachelor's degree and a few years of related job experience. 

True but I'm wondering if/hoping that WB knows someone from some place else to fill this slot since it hasn't been filled. That could lead to nice growth in terms of recent grads joining the MGC

• Upvote 1

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

True but I'm wondering if/hoping that WB knows someone from some place else to fill this slot since it hasn't been filled. That could lead to nice growth in terms of recent grads joining the MGC

It's not impossible that he knows someone that would be able to fill that role but the way I see the position is it is someone a few years removed from college just starting their career in college athletics or fundraising.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'm starting to think that you are a UTSA more then UNT LOL

Also, Delete your account...

6 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

I just saw this. Good for you! I hope you enjoy the games. It's painfully obvious after thousand's of posts over the last four years that anything NT did was not going to please you. Enjoy the Frogs! I've got a number of friends and relatives who are alumni. They are a great group. 

Personally, I hope @UNT90 changes his mind and sticks around.  Agree with him or disagree with him, he's a passionate fan who has shown that he has, at least in times past, deeply cared about the success of UNT's athletic program.  Right now that frustration his care has given him seems to be causing him to put an unfairly short leash on Wren.

And 90, whoever's season tickets you buy doesn't change your alma mater.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sadly, this is typical of GMG.com.  A thread highlighting the list of things already accomplished by the new AD administration and some insight in to future plans, and we argue over what hasn't been done.  Smh

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

52 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Sadly, this is typical of GMG.com.  A thread highlighting the list of things already accomplished by the new AD administration and some insight in to future plans, and we argue over what hasn't been done.  Smh

Gagree.   I enjoyed the communication from WB and despite the grumblings of some I am still in the camp of of giving the new look AD a chance to right the ship before I cry foul then take my ball and go home.   I still expect results from this department and I expect WB and NS to place a premium on establishing a winning culture here at UNT.   From what I am seeing it sounds like we are taking steps to promote just that kind of a culture.  

As it has been said here in the hallowed halls of GMG.com, we have suffered through a culture that accepts and perpetuates losing for years and years, driving off fans and donors alike.   Turning that around doesn't happen overnight though, and in the grand scheme of college athletics I would say that expecting a massive seismic shift in culture and performance 150 days into the tenure of the new Athletic Director would count as overnight.  

To me this thread indicates a competition between dreams / wishes vs. actual realistic and achievable expectations.  We can have both, but we need to be able to know the difference between the two.  there is nothing wrong with seeing the positive changes happening at UNT, recognizing then appreciating them while still maintaining an eye towards the future and holding the new AD accountable for the expectations that they are setting and the expectations that we as a fan base of this great university should have.  This isn't a 0 sum game. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1