MGB: Thoughts on where UNT could turn for new OL coach

Brett Vito

4 hours ago, Aldo said:

Since we're all just throwing darts, here's this guy:

Matt Moore, current Troy OL coach and Co-OC.

• Troy runs Air Raid.
  • Played for Leach in the 90s
  • Coached with Leach when Graham Harrell was a player
  • Coached at LT and MTSU

So he's got plenty of mid major and P5 experience.

http://www.troytrojans.com/coaches.aspx?rc=934&path=football

I'm down, but I think we are in need of someone with ties to recruiting in Texas.. Not saying he doesn't but someone like Hays that already does is a major plus, and the guy from OSU has coached in the SEC and Big 12 so he has a background that would appeal to kids.. But I think think Moore is someone to watch with Troys success and his ties to the members on the staff

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'm down, but I think we are in need of someone with ties to recruiting in Texas.. Not saying he doesn't but someone like Hays that already does is a major plus, and the guy from OSU has coached in the SEC and Big 12 so he has a background that would appeal to kids.. But I think think Moore is someone to watch with Troys success and his ties to the members on the staff

The huge thing that appealed to me was that he was Tech's OC for a couple seasons and he's currently a Co-OC.

I think his experience could be helpful for Harrell.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Aldo said:

The huge thing that appealed to me was that he was Tech's OC for a couple seasons and he's currently a Co-OC.

I think his experience could be helpful for Harrell.

Anything to help this staff, and GH... Improved OL play will just lead to a more successful team.. Keeping the offense on the field will lead to the defense being fresher

With that said, the OL Coach maybe the most critical spot this year and next because of the youth that we just brought in. SL needs to be confident in that coach, and someone has a proven record of coaching up kids.

The Troy coach, OSU, and Tech coach would all be solid additions.

• Upvote 2

On 2/9/2017 at 7:27 PM, Aldo said:

Another shot in the dark since I'm bored: Lee Hays

Recently replaced Tech OL coach, former Baylor OL coach and OC, former West Texas A&M OC

http://www.texastech.com/coaches.aspx?rc=707

Good find.  Could definitely see this happening.  His prior salary at Tech ($210K) is not that far off from what he could get here.  Seems like he has got a heck of a lot of experience and has been all over Texas and has a history in the Air Raid.

ETA:  Just noticed that this was also a potential candidate the Vito mentioned.  Could be a strong contender.

Edited by TreeFiddy

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Good find.  Could definitely see this happening.  His prior salary at Tech ($210K) is not that far off from what he could get here.  Seems like he has got a heck of a lot of experience and has been all over Texas and has a history in the Air Raid.

Was let go by Tech, and has been all over Texas... Davis seemed to recruit in HOU and Hays has 2 stints there

Another to watch could be the former OKState OL coach