MGB: Looking back on national signing day (concerns are justified)

Brett Vito

8 hours ago, Brett Vito said:

Here's your facts:

http://northtexas.247sports.com/Season/2010-Football/Commits

8 hours ago, Brett Vito said:

Even if you go the Rivals route, which has shown to be biased, Ford, Graham, Downing and Johnson were busts based on their rankings.  I did go with 247 composite, which is what everyone is using now.

• Downvote 3

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Even if you go the Rivals route, which has shown to be biased, Ford, Graham, Downing and Johnson were busts based on their rankings. 

It doesn't matter they were busts, he was just refuting your comment about 0 three star commits in 2010.

23 minutes ago, Aldo said:

It doesn't matter they were busts, he was just refuting your comment about 0 three star commits in 2010.

And I was using 247sports ratings, not Rivals.

This is an example of how screwed up the rating system is, especially when you get past the Blue Chip, consensus 5 and 4 star players.

• Downvote 6

18 hours ago, ntsumck said:

I listened to Dana Holgorsen last week.  He said he cares less about recruiting rankings.  He recruits to his needs and who he thinks can help his team win.  He made the comment that his 2012 recruiting ranked in the 50's, they reshuffled the rankings this year and that class was moved to the Top 10.

Everyone needs to tap the brakes on the negativity.  3 years ago, we would have never been in the running for some of the kids we lost, ie McNeal.  At least we had a chance at him this time.

We all have to agree we needed WR's and OL.  I think we did well in those areas.

Agree 100%

Look at the number of first year players that contributed last year, even with Bryce English, Nic Smith, and other RS not on the field.

Last year may turn out to be a really good class.  The 2017 class addresses the biggest needs.  Keep the QB upright and get him some open receivers.

Trust Littrell until he proves otherwise.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2/3/2017 at 6:11 PM, wardly said:

So we are better off with about 5 three star recruits that UTSA is with 17 because there are fewer potential red flags? I mean, who makes this stuff up?

Apparently, Wren and Seth...and whoever blindly follows them.  You should know better than most of us due to sheer time in service that the UNT fanbase is like a beaten dog - they are going to follow along if they given even a little kindness and food.

19 hours ago, ntsumck said:

I listened to Dana Holgorsen last week.  He said he cares less about recruiting rankings.  He recruits to his needs and who he thinks can help his team win.  He made the comment that his 2012 recruiting ranked in the 50's, they reshuffled the rankings this year and that class was moved to the Top 10.

Everyone needs to tap the brakes on the negativity.  3 years ago, we would have never been in the running for some of the kids we lost, ie McNeal.  At least we had a chance at him this time.

We all have to agree we needed WR's and OL.  I think we did well in those areas.

It's easy to "care less" about recruiting rankings when you have no conference of national championships and aren't recruiting head-to-head against Bama, Ohio State, etc. 

It's like the corner State Farm insurance agency saying they don't care about competing with Marsh & McLennan.

If you're not equipped to challenge for the best recruits - and, know it - it's not exactly revealing that you'd say do don't care what people thinking of your recruits.  I mean, what else is he going to say, "Stack up my recruits and results next to Nick Saban/Urban Meyer/Bob Stoops?" 

It's a joke.

Ranking do happen to matter.  Kansas and their 2- and 3-star hauls are not winning conference titles in the Big 12, nor Kentucky in the SEC, Arizona in the Pac-12, etc. 

I've said all along that because we get, and have always gotten, about the same thing every year no matter who the coach has been, what we really need is the coach to coach up who agrees to come here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1