Sawyer to Transfer from TCU

djohnnie

17 hours ago, UNT90 said:

No doubt. He just needs to improve his deep ball. A lot.

Absolutely, Mason (and all of our QB's and players) need to improve significantly. For an 18 year old playing small school HS football in Oklahoma, the kid played very admirably this past season. Look for a big improvement from Fine physically and mechanically. Also, being pushed by an uber-talented Isadore this spring, summer, and fall camp should inherently make Mason better, as it's evident that he's a very competitive kid.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Absolutely, Mason (and all of our QB's and players) need to improve significantly. For an 18 year old playing small school HS football in Oklahoma, the kid played very admirably this past season. Look for a big improvement from Fine physically and mechanically. Also, being pushed by an uber-talented Isadore this spring, summer, and fall camp should inherently make Mason better, as it's evident that he's a very competitive kid.

Hope you are correct. It'll be interesting to see what we have in Isadore.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Hope you are correct. It'll be interesting to see what we have in Isadore.

Exactly.  The overall talent upgrade at QB with Fine, Isadore and Pearson (interesting to see what we have in him) is exciting and much better than what we have usually had in the past.  I think the spring game and the fall practices will be fun to watch/follow.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Exactly.  The overall talent upgrade at QB with Fine, Isadore and Pearson (interesting to see what we have in him) is exciting and much better than what we have usually had in the past.  I think the spring game and the fall practices will be fun to watch/follow.

Actually, the numbers don't say this at all. Fine's numbers are comparable to Mini-Macs numbers in 2014 (Fine completed 59%, MiniMac completed 54%; Fine threw for 157 a game, MiniMac threw for 129). And Fine was in a MUCH more pass friendly offense.

Isadore and Pearson are complete question marks. 

UNT is in the same position they have been at QB since DT left going into Spring ball: they don't know what they have at QB. 

Saying anything else is just projecting something that you hope to happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Bottom line is that Fine was the pick of the litter last year, and unless we get a surprise will probably start next year.I'm sure the coaching staff will "coach up" his shortcomings, and hope that he has the arm strength to respond. Now, isn't that nicer than all that name calling.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Except mason won more games in his true freshman year than mini Mac won his whole college career 

The numbers suggest that had more to do with his teammates (and MiniMacs teammates) than it did either QB...

Football is a team game...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Always looking for the turd in the punch bowl.  

Might I add, in 2014, McNulty was a junior having spent a couple of years in his current offense.  This year, Fine was a true freshman.  I would expect Fine's junior year production to be much greater than Little Mac's.

Any other comparison is tipped in your favor.

Yep, Mini Mac's teammates won ONE game last year.  Fine won four games with basically the same team minus the seniors that graduated.

So you are saying a new coach, new offense, and new attitude had nothing to do with it? 

Man, we shoulda just kept DMac.

Statistically, not a lot of difference between Fine and MiniMac. You can hate that that's the case. You can hate that I'm the one that pointed it out. But it's still there. In black and white. 

The only stat that wasn't listed was ints. Fine protected the ball better, as I recall. Maybe finding that stat will help you with your urge to stick it to me. Lol

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

One could Argue that the Red Headed QB not to be named had a better offensive line that Fine. The "Fine" line gave up 43 sacks on 449 attemps and the "Red" line gave up 27 on  407 attempts.

Mini Mac had Carlos Harris, Darvin Kidsy, Marcus Smith so I mean, Red Head had about the same amount of "Talent" as Fine did in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Withers940 said:

One could Argue that the Red Headed QB not to be named had a better offensive line that Fine. The "Fine" line gave up 43 sacks on 449 attemps and the "Red" line gave up 27 on  407 attempts.

Mini Mac had Carlos Harris, Darvin Kidsy, Marcus Smith so I mean, Red Head had about the same amount of "Talent" as Fine did in my opinion. 

There again the difference in coaching and schemes could be a major factor...

• Downvote 2

48 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

The numbers suggest that had more to do with his teammates (and MiniMacs teammates) than it did either QB...

Football is a team game...

Was McNulty on the team the year before that won one game????? So that means Seth brought in that much talent in one off season to make a 4 win difference.. but wait Seth can't recruit... Man I am confused which angle do you go from here?? 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

So you are saying a new coach, new offense, and new attitude had nothing to do with it? 

Man, we shoulda just kept DMac.

Statistically, not a lot of difference between Fine and MiniMac. You can hate that that's the case. You can hate that I'm the one that pointed it out. But it's still there. In black and white. 

The only stat that wasn't listed was ints. Fine protected the ball better, as I recall. Maybe finding that stat will help you with your urge to stick it to me. Lol

Can you read?  I will try to make this simple for you.

2014: McNulty was a RS Jr in his fourth year in the same system.

2016: Fine is a true freshman moving from 2A Oklahoma ball to FCS major college ball.

Big difference there.

2015: McNulty leads us to a 1-11 record on a team that quit.  (FYI, QB's are typically the leaders of a team)

2016: Fine leads us to 4 or our 5 wins before being lost due to injury.

See the difference?

I have no urge to "stick it to you."  In fact, I would state it is the other way around considering this back and forth began with me agreeing with you.  Of course, you disagreed with that.  Confusing to say the least.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Was McNulty on the team the year before that won one game????? So that means Seth brought in that much talent in one off season to make a 4 win difference.. but wait Seth can't recruit... Man I am confused which angle do you go from here?? 

Look at the numbers. Stop with the emotional argument. They are very similar QBs BY THE NUMBERS. 

Yes, Fine is a freshman, which means we hope he can improve. But improvement was the argument made by the Lifer's of this board for McNulty in 2015. Right now, he is what he is, which is a below average CUSA QB. The only place for him to change that is on the field.

Fine had a much better staff and a much better scheme to work with than McNulty. That is also pretty undeniable, unless you want to say DMac and Littrell are comparable head coaches. 

If you want to jump on the pile, go ahead. I honestly expected better of you.

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Can you read?  I will try to make this simple for you.

2014: McNulty was a RS Jr in his fourth year in the same system.

2016: Fine is a true freshman moving from 2A Oklahoma ball to FCS major college ball.

Big difference there.

2015: McNulty leads us to a 1-11 record on a team that quit.  (FYI, QB's are typically the leaders of a team)

2016: Fine leads us to 4 or our 5 wins before being lost due to injury.

See the difference?

I have no urge to "stick it to you."  In fact, I would state it is the other way around considering this back and forth began with me agreeing with you.  Of course, you disagreed with that.  Confusing to say the least.

"Turd in a punchbowl" is agreeing? Lol. 

Fine was about to be benched, and was benched for the HOD bowl. So far he has shown issues similar to Rodge , and McNulty, not being able to deliver the deep ball. 

Yes, he is a freshman, but that doesn't mean he will magically improve on deep throws. Until he does, he hasn't. Pretty simple. 

And by the numbers, his Freshman year was comparable to MiniMac's first year as a starter. I don't care where he was before. 

Maybe he will improve next year, maybe he won't. But I will promise you the key to that improvement is being able to hit receivers in stride consistently on deep routes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

ATTN:

There has been some unneeded language used in this thread.  I have taken the liberty of cleaning it up without handing out any tickets.  Please refrain from going after one another personally.  You can make your points with passion but there is no need to go for the jugular.  We are basically all on the same team here.  Let's agree to make it our GMG 2017 New Years resolution to be kinder and gentler to our fellow posters.

gmg

2 hours ago, Withers940 said:

The argument could also be made that Fine, as a freshman, held the ball too long and didn't get through his progressions fast enough.

How many times was Morris sacked in his 4 starts? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, Harry said:

ATTN:

There has been some unneeded language used in this thread.  I have taken the liberty of cleaning it up without handing out any tickets.  Please refrain from going after one another personally.  You can make your points with passion but there is no need to go for the jugular.  We are basically all on the same team here.  Let's agree to make it our GMG 2017 New Years resolution to be kinder and gentler to our fellow posters.

gmg

Can you add a +1 to your total for me?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Harry locked this topic