Dead Period

buff64

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

How many of those is he running for his life on?  Question no answer.  I am SURE his mechanics went to hell in a hand basket after leading the nation in sacks, and I would guess pressures as well.  He was running for his life play in and play out. 

He's better than Mullens Freshman stats.   Here are the awards he won as a Freshman. 

Conference USA All-Freshman (2013)
Conference USA Offensive Player of the Week (Dec. 2, 2013)

Mason Fine Freshman awards

Named to the C-USA All-Freshman team

I would have to assume that had he not thrown two picks vs UTSA he would have a chance at offense player of the week with his stat line. 

The UTSA game didn't do anything outside of the last few drives and his 80 yard run... It was all gabarge time stats, which shouldn't earn you player of the week. But our points are that Fine, only won the Freshman QB award because no one else played! That doesn't make him the best/ nor the most qualified just because he was the only freshman. Looking at the awards as well Mullens had a better season-wise because they both won Freshman QB of the year, but Mullens won Player of the week.

I say this way to much on here, but everyone here and everyone that is a fan of UNT, wishes and hopes/prays to god that Fine turns this program around and makes us into another TCU (mid-major into a p5 school). But Fine doesn't and shouldn't get any passes on how he played. Morris played behind the same OL and he honestly got screwed. Morris and Fine both turned the ball over but Morris got hit with some drops and WRs didn't help either QB. But we have to hope that Fine is the least talented, and worst QB that we bring in because that means the talent level will get better. Also, Fine is someone who will rise to the challenge and fight to keep his job, unlike what people think Morris did.  

We can say that coaches didn't help out Fine with some plays, but Fine didn't help himself either. Fine took way to many sacks instead of just flat out tossing the ball away(which Morris does). But Fine has to learn 1 thing most of all, is just get rid of the ball. If you see a rusher just throw it into the ground at a WR, or out of bounds... 2nd and 10 is better than 2nd and 18, agreed? Yes he can't prevent every sack that is mostly on the OL, but if Fine can help on just 2 or 3 plays a game that is huge for the OL and the staff as well.

Morris didn't get screwed. He looked awful against SMU. Fine came in, sparked the offense, complete 7 passes in a row and drove us down the field for a TD. It was pretty obvious to those that were there that Fine was the better fit in this system. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Morris didn't get screwed. He looked awful against SMU. Fine came in, sparked the offense, complete 7 passes in a row and drove us down the field for a TD. It was pretty obvious to those that were there that Fine was the better fit in this system. 

The entire team looked like trash. Mason only put up # mostly in trash time like vs SMU, UTSA, MTSU, BC and had 1 solid game vs MARS who has had a bad season.. again Morris got 2 INTs that should be on the WRs, and still lead our Team in passing till end of the BC game.. we can say Fine looked great vs SMU, but he looked great vs LAT in the first half going like 15 straight completions.. how did that turn out? 

Everyone is out to blame Morris, but Fine hasn't won a game without Wilson and Morris has, and oh by the way Morris won without Goree either... 

• Downvote 4

I don't have a dog in the fight other than wanting UNT to win.  Just going off of personal observations.  Fine seemed to spark the team.  I am glad Morris continued to work hard and had success after Fine was injured, but I think Fine brings more to the table than Morris.  By your assessment, it sounds like the WR's were only to blame when Morris is in or that Morris didn't have Goree.  Well, Fine threw to the same young men and was missing Smiley early in the year.

• Downvote 1

Boys, we all want the same thing, a good recruiting class. I don't know how Texas State is killing us, but UTSA has 4 of the top 18 recruiters in CUSA according to a report I read yesterday. There is nothing we can do except let events play out. I think JUCO signing is very important and might give us a feel as to how we are doing. UNT90 and Ben Gooding are right to be concerned, but I am not willing to push the panic button just yet,. Regarding Fine, he was the best QB we put on the field, and regardless of competition he deserved  recognition from CUSA. He reminds me of Riley Dodge. Lots of guts, but undersized with questionable arm strength.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

Boys, we all want the same thing, a good recruiting class. I don't know how Texas State is killing us, but UTSA has 4 of the top 18 recruiters in CUSA according to a report I read yesterday. There is nothing we can do except let events play out. I think JUCO signing is very important and might give us a feel as to how we are doing. UNT90 and Ben Gooding are right to be concerned, but I am not willing to push the panic button just yet,. Regarding Fine, he was the best QB we put on the field, and regardless of competition he deserved  recognition from CUSA. He reminds me of Riley Dodge. Lots of guts, but undersized with questionable arm strength.

I am not sure I am ready to push the panic button yet. But I do have my finger on it. That's for sure. Also, the thing I don't want to see, is everybody getting giddy on or slightly before NSD when commits start rolling in. They inevitably will. Let's evaluate their rating and more importantly their offer sheets before we start clapping like wild animals for no reason. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

He may have been our best Qb in the last 3 yrs?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I quit going to the sighing ta-do at Stadium Club a few years ago for two reasons. One, I got tired of Mac bitching about poor attendance when, with one exception, he fielded poor teams. Second, I got tired of hearing the staff rave about our new signings when I had never heard of most of them. Third, I got tired of, at barely 6' tall, looking most of them straight in the eye.And finely, I just got tired of same o' same o'.Hopefully this years class will give me a reason to attend again.

• Upvote 1

On December 8, 2016 at 10:56 AM, TheReal_jayD said:

One thing we can agree on. Seth had more wins than ole Willie Fritz this year.. 

This post got me curious to see how Fritz was doing recruiting wise. 

He has 4 three star recruits committed and 20 overall. He does have a better conference to bolster his recruiting efforts. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

This post got me curious to see how Fritz was doing recruiting wise. 

He has 4 three star recruits committed and 20 overall. He does have a better conference to bolster his recruiting efforts. 

Fritz is not recruiting well either. He has Tulane at 10th (of 12) in the AAC. Their overall composite score of 106 would put them at 7th in CUSA.